dolphins sign austin spitler | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

dolphins sign austin spitler

I still say he has a better chance of making the roster than Chris McCoy.

But, that PFT article made mention of Kurt Coleman, and I feel like he could make his way up the ranks in Philly and eventually get some heavy playing time if not become a starter. I really liked him. He's not just solid, he makes big plays. People get down on the speed and size factor. He's smallish. But he doesn't look smallish on the field, built pretty solid. And his speed...come on. The average Free Safety speed in the NFL is 4.52 seconds in the 40. So we're going to grudge a guy that is at 4.55, even though he's got years worth of tape making early reads on the ball and getting all the way to the sidelines to intercept it? He's also got that O.J. Atogwe in him where he'll remember to rip the ball when he tackles, and he'll force fumbles that way.

Anyway but back to Spitler, I think his versatility will keep him around. Not by any means a pass rusher, but he is capable of playing Koa Misi's position in a pinch. He played that position in his final year at Ohio State. He will be playing the inside middle in Miami of course, but like I said, he has that versatility to move outside in emergency situations. He also showed potential to be a great STs maven, especially on punt coverage. Right now I would say coverage is his weakness, but he shows quickness and fluidity there and I think that could improve. I doubt he'd be tragic as a cover guy. He has intangibles coming out his ears.

You will get half a chance of making the team if up can play on S/T............hope he makes it.

But, that PFT article made mention of Kurt Coleman, and I feel like he could make his way up the ranks in Philly and eventually get some heavy playing time if not become a starter. I really liked him. He's not just solid, he makes big plays. People get down on the speed and size factor. He's smallish. But he doesn't look smallish on the field, built pretty solid. And his speed...come on. The average Free Safety speed in the NFL is 4.52 seconds in the 40. So we're going to grudge a guy that is at 4.55, even though he's got years worth of tape making early reads on the ball and getting all the way to the sidelines to intercept it? He's also got that O.J. Atogwe in him where he'll remember to rip the ball when he tackles, and he'll force fumbles that way.

Anyway but back to Spitler, I think his versatility will keep him around. Not by any means a pass rusher, but he is capable of playing Koa Misi's position in a pinch. He played that position in his final year at Ohio State. He will be playing the inside middle in Miami of course, but like I said, he has that versatility to move outside in emergency situations. He also showed potential to be a great STs maven, especially on punt coverage. Right now I would say coverage is his weakness, but he shows quickness and fluidity there and I think that could improve. I doubt he'd be tragic as a cover guy. He has intangibles coming out his ears.

I expect McCoy is very green. When they had that one interview with the players when it was mentioned that several rookies were not mentioned the only 3 drafted rookies not mentioned by the veterans were McCoy, Jones and John Jerry. Jerry was still mentioned in the article by the way just not by the vets. They must see alot of talent in McCoy but they must have known how green he was when they picked him too.

Good to hear Spitler has been signed, kid has a chance to make the team.

Im not sure we will keep 5 ILB's. Crowder, Edds, Dansby, Dobbins all seem locks.
Our outside lbs are very inexperienced Moses. Misi, Wake. Plus the ever mediocre Anderson.
So the for the probable other spot that leaves Walden, McCoy and possibly Spitler.
This is where I see we may actually sign another's teams cut player to get a good LB prospect with experience.

I dunno about that.Not neglecting your opinion,but I think McCoy's potential is way too intriguing for the Phins to cut him.He said he's fully capable to play special teams(and I believe him).He also has good ability,and rare attributes as a pass rusher....I know for a fact,and you might too,that if the Dolphins dont have him on their 53 man roster,he will not be sneaked by on the PS.

Much like Lionel Dotson(not a complete player,but hes made the roster because of his pass rushing potential)...

I don't think anyone can know for a fact that a 6th round pick will definitely be claimed on waivers if the Dolphins try and get him onto the practice squad.

I've watched the guys play and I'm saying I think Spitler would make it before McCoy. I'm saying that before either of them hit the weght room or participated in OTAs, I would expect to be hearing about how well Spitler is doing and not expect to hear much about McCoy. So far, that's been exactly the case.

We'll see. McCoy is a downhill player and I like some of what he brings, but he's not close to being a solid all-around player. He brings some downhill qualities to the OLB position that can be found elsewhere, and no I don't particularly view him likely as a top STs contributor. Everyone SAYS they'll play STs. I've never seen one lower roster candidate be ho-hum about the idea of playing STs. I see no reason to just up and take a guy's word for it that he'll be good at STs. Any more reason than we should up and take a guy's word for it that he'll be an excellent pass rusher, or a very productive running back, etc. STs isn't something you play well just because you've decided to. You play it well just like you play LB or DE or RB well, by working at it and by being good at it.

When all is said and done I believe Spitler will be a guy that the coaches can look at and say he can wear a lot of "hats". Like I said, I don't think it'll be that long before Sparano & Co. figure out that Spitler (and probably Edds) can fill in for Misi at SOLB/SLB in a pinch. But Spitler can also play a lot of STs. How do I know that? He played them in college. I *watched* him play them in college, and at times he was excellent (at a high level of competition, Ohio State). He played them for a lot of years because he wasn't a starter, sitting behind James Laurinaitis. At other times he still wasn't a starter, because of the way OSU lined up their schemes during some games. I don't see him just embracing the STs role, I see him being good at it, in part because of what I see in his all-around game. I don't necessarily see that in Chris McCoy's game. We shall see.

yeah mccoy is not a polished all around player but he does have some explosive edge pass rusher qualities that aren't rampant on this roster...but i think even in that regard he's extremely raw

needs a lot of seasoning...

Last year the Fins had eight linebackers on their roster, so I think this year they are looking at having the same. If McCoy can prove he can play special he has a head start over Moses who has never been a core special team player. Spitler is a favorite of Parcells, and many have said he has looked impressive and is a real smart kid. We'll see, but I am hoping both make the squad.

There just aren't that many roster spots. Unless the FO is able to pull off some trades this team is going to end up throwing away a ton of talent.

Hopefully they use every trick in the book and are ruthless in their decisions in order to keep as much talent as possible.

How many guys can we start on the PUP?? Anybody know?

Spitler will probably annoy me by making the team. I posted after the draft that he'd no doubt impress in camp and preseason.

I despise overachiever types. Most boring story on the planet. It never varies. And I'm convinced you regulate your upside by taking on too many of them. I haven't altered my base opinion on too many issues over the decades but that's one exception. Give me talent and you can pretend to get by with hustle. Spitler is swell for a program that aspires to 9-7.

Yeah, Spitler is impressive on special teams but some of that won't translate to the NFL, particularly regular season NFL with the 3-man punt protection wall that is more and more in vogue. To penetrate that formation you need late burst, weave and leaping ability. Spitler doesn't qualify. He'll thump smack into the wall. Wonderful. Spitler definitely has potential to look far better than he is during preseason, when smarts and a motor are plenty.

Scatbacks and edge rushers are the most over valued commodity in training camp and preseason. They'll make meaningless plays when everyone is gassed, and the 4th string tackle with cinder block feet is in the lineup. Teams are increasingly catching on, even if beat writers do not. If McCoy is a one dimensional corner guy but minus rare burst like Wake, he won't fool the brass or slot ahead of Spitler.

And BTW, I predict we'll sign all our draft picks. These threads are always funny in that regard, although they rightfully turn into discussion of player merit and not amazement that we signed the guy.

Back
Top Bottom