Dolphins sign Baker to extension | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign Baker to extension

I think a lot of people miss that it’s an extension and that he is on his rookie deal/cap hit this year. When you consider he’s essentially on the team for 4yrs/$40mil with us it’s fair for both sides.

13 mil a year. He is an OK LB. Not worth that much money thou.
Fvcking ridiculous, you ok with this contract, but no,when it comes to QB, no no no, everyone is too much money.
Hypocrisy in full display.

Last edited:
The team is finally starting to keep its own good draft picks. Develop and extent if they do develop.
It is a great thing to see.

I'd be saying the same thing people are saying about Baker...

Something to the effect of we over paid for 700 yds and spotty blocking....
I'd argue top 5 TE money now is top 10 in a year or so. I think he's well worth it as a receiving TE, especially once he's no longer target #2 in the offense.

I was out fishing today, so didn't get much of a chance to comment.

This is a reasonably good deal for us. By next year, this contract will probably be just outside of the the top 10-- which isn't bad for a resigned player.

Is Baker a top 10 linebacker? I'd say no, but he is pretty good, very young, and the cost for maintaining your players is high. Replacing him via the draft, and then getting a player who could play right out of the box would probably have cost us a #1 next year... maybe a second rounder, if we were lucky.

Added to this, the cost of sacks is high. Any FA LB with 7 sacks is expensive, and it gets even more expensive when a player is south of 30 years old. If Baker would have played this year, got another 7-8 sacks and continued to show plus pass coverage numbers... in an offseason where most of the teams had plenty of money... his cost probably would have been in the 15m/year range.

This guarantees that Baker will be in Miami, at least through the end of the 2023 season and this takes coverage linebacker off of our draft priority list. Look for Baker, if healthy, to maintain his 80%+ snap rate and to be a mainstay, 3-down player.

I don't mind paying a lil extra for character and durability. He's never missed a game. His character is off the charts. That **** matters.

I promise you everyone will miss him if he misses time to injury.

The cap will go up soon. Lets keep our own and build a ****ing machine. I hope big G is next.

That’s a lot of money for a player whose not a pro bowl player.
And we all know the pro bowl says you're the best..Lmao. That is not the barometer of great players no matter how many think it is. It's a name and reputation thing. He's one of only two linebackers to have more than 5 sacks. He was more efficient on 3rd down with a lot of room to improve. Lots of tackles. If he never makes the pro bowl but repeats or exceeds last years numbers he's a pro bowler to the Dolphins and that's all that counts.

I thought he'd get 12m/year... he got 13m/year.

I'll take that.

LB costs will go way up with the new cap next year... this amount will look small in about a year.

This is a VERY realistic number.
Well said. This is a good contract fair to both sides. It also sends a message that we do support our immerging young players that buy into the program. Hopefully Baker becomes a forceful leader of the Defense.

They have to show players they will reward their own. It’s not bad deal. Free agency he would have got even more
Exactly
Too bad these geniuses don’t understand this

Or worse, we sign someone else’s free agent for more money and they bust. Like we haven’t been through that a 1000 times before

Would rather take a chance and invest in our own

Back
Top Bottom