Dolphins sign Baker to extension | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign Baker to extension

I think it's a good deal.

Signing bonus is spread out over 4 years, tbd on signing bonus and how the guarantees shake out but the hit is fine for a young inside backer with promise that can cover/hit the QB.
Nice to see us developing some LB talent instead of vastly overpaying for Baltimore offshoots.

Man, the homerism is so strong on this board. It's to be expected. Oh well, guess I'll hang out and wait for that next big play to come from Jerome Baker. I mean, it statistically has to happen at some point, right?

In Flo I trust, if he says it’s so, it is so. L congrats on your contract extension at the biggest and most supported NFL club in the world. From the Middle East to the US, fins are up everywhere.

Man, the homerism is so strong on this board. It's to be expected. Oh well, guess I'll hang out and wait for that next big play to come from Jerome Baker. I mean, it statistically has to happen at some point, right?
Shocking from a Dolphin forum. :rolleyes:

If you add current year in to the mix, which is only logical to do since he's here and signed, he's coming in around 10.3M+ per season for 4 seasons.

That would make him the 25th highest paid LB this year.

Sound deal.

Only slightly more than McKinney's getting.
On top of that, if I’m not mistaken a portion of the signing bonus will be added to this year‘s cap.
People act like $13m means the same thing it did even just 5 years ago. That’s basically just starting ILB money now. That’s the direction contracts will continue to go. Not a big deal.

Exactly. We made Byron Jones the highest paid CB in the league last offseason. He's already down to #5 a year later.
Byron Jones was considered one of the best CB’s in the entire league when they signed him to that contract. While Baker is a decent LB, he is probably rated no better than an average LB in the league at this time.

Hopefully he will develop into a top tier LB but only time will tell.

Byron Jones was considered one of the best CB’s in the entire league when they signed him to that contract. While Baker is a decent LB, he is probably rated no better than an average LB in the league at this time.

Name 15 linebackers that are better than Baker....

What matters most is the opinion of the franchise and its coaching staff. Baker looks to be the guy they are banking on to fulfill, the multiple roles, they envision for the defense. If Baker can continue to be a 7-8 sack guy a year, I'd think that seemingly would fulfill his contract status.

Baker is a team first guy, he has consistently said and done the right things while he has improved every single year. He deserves this contract!

Next year when the cap goes back up higher than normal this will seem like a great price for one of the most valuable defenders on the roster. When he ups his run defense (which has been a focal point for him this off season) he is going to be worth every dime of this contract and then some...

Love you @1972forever

But you really need to look at the stats. You're way off on the Baker evaluation here....wayyy off!

Outside of Fred Warner(49ers) Baker is easily, statistically, one of the best at his position.

Well deserved, speed kills!

On Madden I've got Lawrence Taylor coming off one edge and Baker off the other. It's a beautiful sight to behold lol

This is not an overpay by any means. Cap is exploding next year by all reports. For comparison Deion Jones signed a 4 year 57 million dollar contract with 34 guaranteed in 2019. Baker was going to get this contract, and probably more if he hit free agency next year.

Baker's arrived guys. He had 112 tackles last year, 7 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 7 more tackles in the backfield, and 11 QB hits. Oh and coverage? He let up 6.1 yards per attempt. A 25 year old linebacker with that kind of production going to get more than 13 million a year in next year's free agency.

He's also clearly gambling on himself with this contract. It expires when he is 28. Enough time left in his career to sign one more mega deal.
Agreed. Those saying that "he needs to step up to live up to this contract" or words to that effect have no idea what they're talking about. This is not an overpay now and in two years it will look like a bargain.

Back
Top Bottom