Dolphins sign CB Mario Edwards | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign CB Mario Edwards

I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut be training camp. The good thing about his signing is that he'll challenge Howard and Poole and make them work harder.

THOMAS_54 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut be training camp. The good thing about his signing is that he'll challenge Howard and Poole and make them work harder.

I think he will most definitly make the team. I was wondering if we were going to add any depth at CB and we did. I don't think they signed him to come in and start also IMO he is a lot better than "Can't cover toast with Jelly" Wyrick. If nothing else he can play special teams.

I think it shows Saban wants experience and depth for our secondary and with a strong front seven we shall move away from the press coverage. It also says to me that Saban does not believe he can draft a CB this year as good as Edwards and therefore the signing. It is interesting Saban stated a few days ago that FA signings would stop till after the draft but we still signed a CB. Saban wants to win now with these 1 year contracts and is buying time till he gets his personnel in place.

The Surtain deal must be very close to done and Saban wants offense with his first day picks.

on a one year deal at vet min (I'm hoping it's vet. min. since it hasn't been reported yet) isn't a bad thing. He may not make the team out of camp since we don't lose much $.

He's struggled badly the last 3 years. I did a search on "mamma" and found 13 different articles on Edwards "getting burned", "late penalty", and "been a dissappointment" type articles from his Dallas and TB days. (the only reason I looked them up was because I thought he had some type of problem at Dallas but it was the other CB they drafted that year).

After reading them all....I decided that Gruden or whoever signed off on his 4 yr 8mil contract with a 2 mil bonus was nuts! To think in one article it even mentioned him challenging Barber! funny stuff.

He's obviously not a great player, but this article gives some insight into the idea that he just wasn't a good fit for the Bucs system...

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGBVJ58U92E.html

``I'm used to playing a lot of bump, aggressive coverage. Here we play a lot of zone - more of a bend-but- don't-break defense. I'm just getting used to it and it has been difficult. But, that's why we practice every day, to get better.''

Maybe he'll fit better here considering what Edwards agent said that Saban told him..."[Dolphins coach] Nick [Saban] was looking to add a large PRESS corner," Schaffer said."

I'm sort of confused by the pessimism...Sure, Edwards isn't a top 5 in the league kind of guy (like Surtain). But given the fact that Surtain is all but gone, and given the current FA market at the position, I thnk the team made a move early on the best available guy. We got him.

If we let him go somewhere else, then we're left with Poole and Howard, both good, but only 2 guys, neither with Edward's experience. So what if he starts or not, good move.

It's a good signing. You guys act like he's getting a 1 year 2 million dollar deal. Although we don't know what the deal is, does anyone believe it's much more then cheap? Good depth added.

He could be a fine nickel or dime corner IMO. It's a good depth pick up that we did not have before. We have now have 5 corners who are very capable, could turn into 4 with the trading of Surtain.

thank goodness it's only 1 year. Now I really wish we keep Surtain. But hopefully all the talk of him just needing to find the right system isn't just a little pep talk. But for now, I'm thinking the Chambers vs. Edwards isn't an isolated case...

A couple more tidbits about Edwards....

http://fantasy.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/cowboys/20040215.html

"The team is talking about a long-term deal with RCB Mario Edwards, but he will test the free-agent market. His long arms and good footwork serve him well in bump-and-run play, overcoming his average speed and average ability to recover. He's a physical player who likes to beat up opposing receivers. Officials began paying more attention to him last year, and he was called for more penalties. "

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/player_bio.asp?player_id=3764&hubName=TB

"A big, physical, bump-and-run defender. Has a tough guy mentality and bounces back from mistakes. Not a burner. Lets too much happen in front of him. Not as good as he should be in run support, considering his size and hitting ability."

I bet he'll be a special teams demon for us at least.

For my money, I'd bet our starters on opening day are Sam Madison and Will Poole with Reggie Howard the nickel and Mario Edwards the dime.

I like the signing. I tend to agree with the majority here that he could be a pretty good nickel or dime cb. Hes physical as well.

I think edwards will add more depth but i would like to see saban try him at safety

wazzy said:
I think edwards will add more depth but i would like to see saban try him at safety
Agreed. He reminds me a bit of Eugene Wilson in that he may not be fast enough to be a full time Cb yet he does have nice skills as far as playing the ball and deflecting passes. In addition this would put him in a position to react more to the ball and could decrease his penalties which have plagued his career.

Back
Top Bottom