Dolphins Sign DE Tony Brown Off Panthers' Practice Squad | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Sign DE Tony Brown Off Panthers' Practice Squad

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Dolphins Sign DE Tony Brown Off Panthers' Practice Squad
The 6-1, 280-pound Brown went to training camp with Carolina this year as an undrafted college free agent.

Brown, 23, was a four-year letterman (1999-2002) at Memphis who started each of his final three years. While there, he was a teammate of Dolphins rookie left tackle Wade Smith. Brown was a defensive end before being moved to defensive tackle for his senior season of 2002, when he registered 66 tackles, four sacks, a forced fumble and five passes defensed

I agree with that analysis. If he's quick, move that man inside. Interior pash rush is a major weakness on this team. And being 6-1 can be an advantage as far as leverage.

Originally posted by Muck
I agree with that analysis. If he's quick, move that man inside. Interior pash rush is a major weakness on this team. And being 6-1 can be an advantage as far as leverage.

The scheme won't allow pure pass rush. The only pass rush coming from from our tackles has to be disciplined interior push against the O-line. Our secondary is "out on a limb" and containment is part of the scheme.

Maybe DolfanMike could chime in on this one. Or should I start a defensive scheme thread with a bunch of links that could say it better than me? :lol:

The 6-1, 280-pound Brown went to training camp with Carolina this year as an undrafted college free agent.

Brown, 23, was a four-year letterman (1999-2002) at Memphis who started each of his final three years. While there, he was a teammate of Dolphins rookie left tackle Wade Smith. Brown was a defensive end before being moved to defensive tackle for his senior season of 2002, when he registered 66 tackles, four sacks, a forced fumble and five passes defensed.

:eek: Those are some pretty solid stats.

You know I was just sitting around and thinking that if there's one thing that this team needs more than anything else it's a another defensive end. Maybe another waterboy too. But definitely lets address the situation at DE first.

Originally posted by ZOD

The scheme won't allow pure pass rush. The only pass rush coming from from our tackles has to be disciplined interior push against the O-line. Our secondary is "out on a limb" and containment is part of the scheme.

The thing is, they don't even make any progress upfield, whether it's around or thru the OL. The QB just drops back without anything in his face. We need to collapse the pocket from time to time.

The scheme is disciplined. But it does allow for some kind of pressure. :) David Bowens was so adept at this whenever he could stay on the field.

Originally posted by StartingTailbak
You know I was just sitting around and thinking that if there's one thing that this team needs more than anything else it's a another defensive end. Maybe another waterboy too. But definitely lets address the situation at DE first.

Were gonna need to prepare Ogunleye's departure ;)

From that NFL.com analysis....he sounds like camp fodder....this is baffling...

Originally posted by StartingTailbak

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? If so it's misplaced since we need a DE right now to replace Burnett's spot. Our Defensive line lives off fresh rotating and they won't get that losing even one guy.

Why is this baffling? We lost a DE for the season, we bring one in. I would think this would be common sense?

If this guy sees playing time, it's not going to be because JT or O-gun are hurt. It's going to be at the DT position on passing downs. Burnett and Jay Williams played DT on pure passing downs to try to get better pass rush. Burnett is hurt, so I assume David Bowens will get that spot, and this new guy will back him up.

Yes, baffling......
Negatives: Has size limitations, lacking the ideal power to take on combo blocks … Needs to show consistency, as he tends to get lethargic as the game progresses … Gets a bit frustrated when his initial move fails … Keeps his hands too close to his body, allowing blockers to get underneath to defeat any power he tries to generate at the point of attack … Struggles to disengage, as he has only limited moves (swim) that work effectively … Lunges to make plays (gets off his feet too much).

This is the best we could come up with?

And I doubt he backs up Bowens,he'll more than likely be taking Grigsby's spot on the weekly inactive list.

Last edited:
Shoot, raiding the Panthers DL has been good to Miami so far (Larry Chester and Jay Williams)... why not try to roll the die again?

Back
Top Bottom