Dolphins Sign Dwayne Allen, Formerly Of The Patriots | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Sign Dwayne Allen, Formerly Of The Patriots

I thought about him exclusively being a blocking TE, but wouldn't that just take snaps away from Smythe?

We're hoping his former coach saw something the past few seasons and has a niche role all carved out for him.

Why would you care about snaps being taken away from Smythe? Smythe showed next to nothing as a player during his rookie year.

For everyone saying this is an overpay, the Pats paid him 5 million 2 years ago and 3.8 million last year, we got him cheaper....

Why would you care about snaps being taken away from Smythe? Smythe showed next to nothing as a player during his rookie year.

I take it you're not a fan of the game reps are invaluable in developing players philosophy? It's the whole reason the term "stop gap" has such a negative connotation.

Complaining ... stating why I dislike a signing that seems like another in a long line of same old same old ... that's what these message board things are here for. :up:

Last edited:
I live in NE and see pretty much, unfortunately, most Pats' games. And I have no clue who this guy is. People get all excited if it's a former Pats player, or kill it because he's a former Pats player and was a product of the system and Brady. Insignificant signing period.

This could mean something else too and this is just me speculating. He's very good at blocking, specially at pass protecting. James might leave as a free agent. Whoever the RT is, even if is James would be happy to have a guy like Allen blocking next to him.

Sorry if someone has posted this in this thread already as I have not read all the comments but this signing does not indicate a re-build or tank type signing to me. Granted one signing does not indicate the entire situation. A 29 year player (not old) but this type of signing is more for re-loading in my opinion. Good solid signing though!

Sorry if someone has posted this in this thread already as I have not read all the comments but this signing does not indicate a re-build or tank type signing to me. Granted one signing does not indicate the entire situation. A 29 year player (not old) but this type of signing is more for re-loading in my opinion. Good solid signing though!

Its not really indicative of anything to be honest. However our TE group is really green and Allen adds a veteran presence and really the only proven 3 down player to the group.

We haven’t seen the structure yet but this could be a 1 year deal, especially if we see serious gains from the youth we have on the roster already.

This is good! He was a stud in Colts Land he will be a good mentor to Gesicki ans Smythe. We now have 6 TE's on the roster.

Allen
Gesicki
Smythe
O'Leary
Derby
Gray
If I were looking at this, I would guess we carry 3 TE's and I might prioritize them this way:

1. Mike Gesicki as the starting move TE
2. Dwayne Allen as the starting inline TE, and veteran leader to the young TE group
3. Marqueis Gray as the combo TE/H-Back/FB who gets a lot of time from all three positions with most of it being some form of run blocking.
4. Smythe as the reserve blocking TE
5. O'Leary is probably on the outside looking in but will compete with Gray for the combo role and probably lose because he isn't effective enough as a lead blocking FB.
6. Derby is probably going to the practice squad if he is still eligible. Longshot to make the roster, but he will be given a shot.

I said it when we were first rumored to be looking at Dwayne Allen, and I'll say it again. When a new coach nukes the roster and rebuilds, the proper type of FA's to get are grizzled veterans who exemplify strong work ethic, do what the coaches tell them, and positively build a team-focused and grinding culture of work ethic in the locker room. These guys are not long-term players, and usually are role players as starters, but their primary contribution is in helping focus the younger players and mold them into the type of committed team-players the coach demands.

With that in mind, I'm completely on-board with Dwayne Allen. These are the type of FA's we should be targeting … not the marquee names, but rather the ones who will accelerate the learning and maturation process for the young players who will form the base of our rebuild.

If I were looking at this, I would guess we carry 3 TE's and I might prioritize them this way:

1. Mike Gesicki as the starting move TE
2. Dwayne Allen as the starting inline TE, and veteran leader to the young TE group
3. Marqueis Gray as the combo TE/H-Back/FB who gets a lot of time from all three positions with most of it being some form of run blocking.
4. Smythe as the reserve blocking TE
5. O'Leary is probably on the outside looking in but will compete with Gray for the combo role and probably lose because he isn't effective enough as a lead blocking FB.
6. Derby is probably going to the practice squad if he is still eligible. Longshot to make the roster, but he will be given a shot.

Gray is not on this team. Neither is Derby.

Back
Top Bottom