Dolphins Sign Dwayne Allen, Formerly Of The Patriots | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Sign Dwayne Allen, Formerly Of The Patriots

I have nothing against the kid.

But I basically saw an athlete with very little football ability as a rookie. Changing my opinion is very easy in this situation . . . .look like you belong on the field.

Me putting him as the #2 TE is more than fair, and its solely because of upside as a receiving threat.

And I am always here and I don’t remember “everybody” writing off Xavian Howard. He was hurt most of his rookie season but he definitely flashed and then came of age towards the latter half of his sophomore season. You are making it sound like we treated him like Ryan Tannehill after 7 seasons and u were the guy sticking with him and he proved everybody wrong in season 8.
Glad to see you're open minded about Mike Gesicki.

As a guy who was on the X. Howard train before we drafted him and stalwart supporter ever since, I probably saw a lot more of the backlash because people were specifically disagreeing with me as I kept saying to give him more time. I explained how certain positions like press-man CB's (and it's the same with TE's today) take a year or so to get their feet under them. He was injured as a rookie so his progress was slowed. But after a good year and a half he was hitting on all cylinders. During that year and a half, there were a lot of naysayers. I see the same thing today with Gesicki. I'm preaching the same thing, and seeing the same sort of lashback … although it may be from completely different people, but it still seems the same to me with the far too premature claims of bust. The talent is there, the production in college is there, but the position in the pros demands a lot more work than in college, so those positions just doo poorly for a year or so until they find that groove.

It used to be the same way with WR's taking 3 years to develop, but the passing game has become way more sophisticated and kids are getting great experience as early as high school these days and are coming in as rookies and making impacts like RB's always have. But with certain positions, and I believe TE's are definitely one of them, it takes longer.

Your probably right, lack of foot speed, 7.12 in the cone, 4.75 forty..

It’s just the extreme Lack of production that perplexes me..Did he have hip replacement surgery on both hips or something.

I saw a tad slower times than that, but combine is deception, tape isnt and his get off and up to block was slow. Itll improve though I think.

I saw a tad slower times than that, but combine is deception, tape isnt and his get off and up to block was slow. Itll improve though I think.
On tape I thought the guy was a multiple pro bowl player..

All good, he’s here, we need a functional presence and I’m sure he will do the job.

Smythe looked a bit better than Gesicki. IMO
More physically developed and polished, yes … but probably not "better." Gesicki is young and came to Penn State as a WR convert, so he's not as experienced or physically developed yet. Of course, when you draft young kids like that, you do so knowing they will need time to develop.

lol dwayne allen. how is this even news? the guy was good early in his career playing for money. accumulated nfl wealth and got fat and did nothing in NE. comfortable system guy. that is all. overpaid. get better coaches and you don't have to waste 3.5 per on a guy like this.

Gesicki was being used all wrong last year. I hated Gesicki being drafted over Goedert but I do see him being much improved this year if we use him how he is supposed to be used.

Yep, he was being used as a football player where he has no business being used.

3.5 mil/yr., that is not an exorbitant price, but what does that say about the rebuild? I just hope that this is not a sign of what we have been doing over the last 18yrs. - plugging holes rather than rebuilding the roof.

3.5 mil/yr., that is not an exorbitant price, but what does that say about the rebuild? I just hope that this is not a sign of what we have been doing over the last 18yrs. - plugging holes rather than rebuilding the roof.

I mean with 2 second year guys and a 3rd year guy as the only other TEs, adding a veteran here doesn't seem like "plugging".

They are FAs.

Allen was brought in because they were losing the 2 vets they had on the roster.

1. Allen
2. Gesicki
3. Smythe
4. O’leary (new contract but apparantely only $100k hit to release so not safe)

Depending how Gesicki develops determines if he overtakes Allen on this list.

Miami was not trying to roll with 2 second year guys and a third year guy as the only TEs.
#2 for Gesicki is more than fair IMO, after seeing him trying to be a TE, might not be a bad idea to use him as a big WR, he seriously lacked in the phisicality department...

#2 for Gesicki is more than fair IMO, after seeing him trying to be a TE, might not be a bad idea to use him as a big WR, he seriously lacked in the phisicality department...
I really don't understand the thinking in the NFL when they try to immediately change what a guy is. I get that you want him to be complete at his position, but when you drafted him you knew what is deficiencies were. So, you draft him and instead of allowing him to do what he does best, you instead make him learn on the fly at what he does worst. If you don't like his skill set, why do you draft him in the first place.

I think this is a very good signing from the fact he is familiar with the offense, can block, and help get other players up to speed with the system. This was also smart from a cap perspective as well.

I saw many instances where Gase had a TE trying to block a DE, one on one, over the last few games. I was infuriated, because, Miami's TE's were getting abused. Allen helps in that regard, if Flores chooses to do the same and use a TE on DE?

Back
Top Bottom