Dolphins sign first round pick Jaelan Phillips | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign first round pick Jaelan Phillips

I gotta admit this is the prospect who most excites me. He's a quick learner and you can see him be more productive in the 4th quarter than the 1st quarter because he learns his opponent as he plays and he sets them up to be beaten. And this kid has the tools to exploit those situations and win a LOT. Scrappy, great motor, long, can bend, quick, fast, a bit of power for a DE/OLB, smart, and a consummate warrior. Jaelan Phillips is going to be an awesome addition to this defense. I can't wait.

Fins M'F'in UP!

That's because he is pretty like Jason Taylor. Big smile, pretty haircut... it cuts down on the scary factor. LOL
In nature it also acts as a disarming mechanism so quarterbacks are lulled into ignoring him until it’s too late.

You know, this is the 1st year that I really have no idea which Drift pick I want to see more.

Jaylen Waddle: Can't wait to see DBs trying to cover him, or even try to control him.

Jaelan Phillips: Can't wait to see him become a pass-rushing force that can also do well against the run.

Jevon Holland: With X being an INT machine, can't wait to see if in trying to stay away from X, Holland feasts earlier then expected with a few of his own.

Liam Eichenberg: The O-line will be key to how successful Miami can be, Liam has not given up sack In a few years, he could add a boost to help Miami succeed if he continues.

Hunter Long: How talented could he be? Pretty excited to see him and Gesicki in the redzone.

Gerrid Doaks: Few expect much from him, but there is serious talent here, can't wait to see how he grows into the NFL game in year 1.

Very exciting year if you're a Dolphins fan.

You know, this is the 1st year that I really have no idea which Drift pick I want to see more.

Jaylen Waddle: Can't wait to see DBs trying to cover him, or even try to control him.

Jaelan Phillips: Can't wait to see him become a pass-rushing force that can also do well against the run.

Jevon Holland: With X being an INT machine, can't wait to see if in trying to stay away from X, Holland feasts earlier then expected with a few of his own.

Liam Eichenberg: The O-line will be key to how successful Miami can be, Liam has not given up sack In a few years, he could add a boost to help Miami succeed if he continues.

Hunter Long: How talented could he be? Pretty excited to see him and Gesicki in the redzone.

Gerrid Doaks: Few expect much from him, but there is serious talent here, can't wait to see how he grows into the NFL game in year 1.

Very exciting year if you're a Dolphins fan.
I'm a line guy... it's almost a fetish.

But obtaining Eichenberg might be the piece that really generates the best return. If it goes as we hope, and if Eichenberg plays Right Tackle at a plus level... right away, and Hunt thrives (as many think he will) at RG, Tua will have more time, maybe LOTS more time to find 2nd and 3rd reads.

This will allow Tua to settle, to process, and to lose the jitters that plagued him last year. Tua with time could resemble Brees with time... and that's money.

NFLMLBNBANHLCFBGOLFPLNAS
ALL PLAYER NEWS

• JAELAN PHILLIPSDE, MIAMI DOLPHINS

Dolphins signed No. 18 overall pick DE Jaelan Phillips to a four-year contract.​

As is the case with all first-rounders, Phillips' deal is fully guaranteed and comes with a fifth-year team option. Phillips (6'5/266) was a highly touted five-star blue chip prospect who Scout.com rated as the number five overall recruit in the country from the 2017 prep class. The Redlands, CA product opted to stay close to home and attend UCLA for his first two relatively productive years before suffering a sequence of head injuries that led him to retire for a while before transferring to Miami in 2019 and sitting out a season. He burst into national prominence in 2020, creating 42 pressures, 8.0 sacks, 28 stops, 45 tackles and an interception as he received AP Second-Team All-American accolades. Phillips has the initial burst, speed, and is arguably the smoothest pass rusher in the 2020 class thanks to an advanced move-set. An elite athlete, he put on a pro day show by running a 4.56 forty-yard dash, 4.13 shuttle and posting a 36-inch vertical jump for a sterling 9.53 RAS. Despite just one year of dominance and health concerns, Phillips has the potential to be a multi-year starter and comps to New Orleans DE Marcus Davenport.

Back
Top Bottom