Dolphins sign first round pick Jaelan Phillips | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign first round pick Jaelan Phillips

I'm a line guy... it's almost a fetish.

But obtaining Eichenberg might be the piece that really generates the best return. If it goes as we hope, and if Eichenberg plays Right Tackle at a plus level... right away, and Hunt thrives (as many think he will) at RG, Tua will have more time, maybe LOTS more time to find 2nd and 3rd reads.

This will allow Tua to settle, to process, and to lose the jitters that plagued him last year. Tua with time could resemble Brees with time... and that's money.
Couldn't agree more, the man could very well set off a domino effect.

If Eichenberg can hold his own from day one, it allows Hunt to stay at R-guard (Where I believe he's an All-pro in the making...man is just plain nasty at guard).

Keep Hunt at R-Guard, that allows Solomon Kindley to play at his more natural guard position on the left side, and with him having come in better shape (Sorry Omar...failed again), he will be able to last the season better.

On one side of Kindley we have a Linemen in Austin Jackson that that is green, but loads of talent and athleticism who is growing into the position, and the other side you have the a Center in Matt Skura who has loads of experience If his body can hold up.

The line will be the key to the offense.

So is he on paper what Dion Jordan was supposed to be?
Much more, because Dion was supposed to be a pass-rushing demon, that was just barely OK against the run...Phillips will go after your QB, while still showing effectiveness against the run...I believe they call it the perfect full package.

So is he on paper what Dion Jordan was supposed to be?
Well no, not exactly. Dion Jordan had the quickness and frame to become the next Jason Taylor ... but nothing else. Jordan didn't learn, had no motor, and simply didn't apply himself. He wasn't the brightest guy either. I'd say that Jordan is quicker, but in every other way Phillips is a better athlete and a tremendously better prospect.

Phillips doesn't quite have the quickness of a Jason Taylor, but from the neck up they're very similar players, and at 6'5 and 250 lbs. he has the build. I see Phillips being a longer, leaner, less-powerful version of Terrell Suggs, who just dominated whomever he came up against. He'd always find a way to beat you, and he beat eeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone. Body type, Phillips is much more like Taylor, yes. But versatility in the pass rush and savvy moves, I'd say he reminds me of Suggs, and Phillips is a slam dunk to be a good pass rusher who improves every year--and he'll be very good right out of the gate.

I'm adding this paragraph to my post, because people will be interested and it's a good fit. Excellent poster @Pandarilla has a great thread where he posted a video from Brett Kollman who makes a spot-on comparison of Jaelan Phillips to the Watt brothers. I definitely see Phillips as a little bit like TJ Watt (a prospect I LOVED far more than almost anyone else loved him in that draft) in how he attacks things. IMHO, Phillips is longer, quicker, with better bend, and in short order will have a wider arsenal of pass rush moves. Watt has more raw power ... but these two guys are both prototypical dominators as edge rushers, IMHO. I can definitely see why Kollman compares him to TJ Watt. Here is the thread:

Jaelan Phillips = The Other Watt Brother

Last edited:
He's a rookie, so I am guessing it will take some time for him to adjust. However, the more I learn about Phillips, the more convinced I am, we drafted the right guy. Props to Grier and company. It's crazy that we were able to address so many needs ( Phillips and Butler, Fuller and Waddle, Holland and Coleman, Eichenberg, and Long, etc.) with guys who have big-time potential to be difference makers in our system. I wanted difference-makers, we all did, but my focus would have been more on offense. So glad I wasn't the guy drafting guys. No doubt I would have gotten it wrong. At least now, we may have a chance at corralling Allen and those blasted Bills. Giddy up!

Well no, not exactly. Dion Jordan had the quickness and frame to become the next Jason Taylor ... but nothing else. Jordan didn't learn, had no motor, and simply didn't apply himself. He wasn't the brightest guy either. I'd say that Jordan is quicker, but in every other way Phillips is a better athlete and a tremendously better prospect.

Phillips doesn't quite have the quickness of a Jason Taylor, but from the neck up they're very similar players, and at 6'5 and 250 lbs. he has the build. I see Phillips being a longer, leaner, less-powerful version of Terrell Suggs, who just dominated whomever he came up against. He'd always find a way to beat you, and he beat eeeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone. Body type, Phillips is much more like Taylor, yes. But versatility in the pass rush and savvy moves, I'd say he reminds me of Suggs, and Phillips is a slam dunk to be a good pass rusher who improves every year--and he'll be very good right out of the gate.

I'm adding this paragraph to my post, because people will be interested and it's a good fit. Excellent poster @Pandarilla has a great thread where he posted a video from Brett Kollman who makes a spot-on comparison of Jaelan Phillips to the Watt brothers. I definitely see Phillips as a little bit like TJ Watt (a prospect I LOVED far more than almost anyone else loved him in that draft) in how he attacks things. IMHO, Phillips is longer, quicker, with better bend, and in short order will have a wider arsenal of pass rush moves. Watt has more raw power ... but these two guys are both prototypical dominators as edge rushers, IMHO. I can definitely see why Kollman compares him to TJ Watt.
Digital if I were a woman. I just might of married you. Your post get me all pumped up!!! :cheers:

Much more, because Dion was supposed to be a pass-rushing demon, that was just barely OK against the run...Phillips will go after your QB, while still showing effectiveness against the run...I believe they call it the perfect full package.
\Jaso

I'm adding this paragraph to my post, because people will be interested and it's a good fit. Excellent poster @Pandarilla has a great thread where he posted a video from Brett Kollman who makes a spot-on comparison of Jaelan Phillips to the Watt brothers. I definitely see Phillips as a little bit like TJ Watt (a prospect I LOVED far more than almost anyone else loved him in that draft) in how he attacks things. IMHO, Phillips is longer, quicker, with better bend, and in short order will have a wider arsenal of pass rush moves. Watt has more raw power ... but these two guys are both prototypical dominators as edge rushers, IMHO. I can definitely see why Kollman compares him to TJ Watt.

great to have your contributions @Digital its been awhile. The kid reminds me build wise like JT! In complete honesty I’m not so sure about the run stopping abilities. He seems a little too light in that department to hold up on the edges etc. Seems more like and lock out, pivot, and engage where the run is going using is athletic ability more than physical strength and stoutness.

\Jaso

great to have your contributions @Digital its been awhile. The kid reminds me build wise like JT! In complete honesty I’m not so sure about the run stopping abilities. He seems a little too light in that department to hold up on the edges etc. Seems more like and lock out, pivot, and engage where the run is going using is athletic ability more than physical strength and stoutness.
He is a bit light, but he can easily add to that frame without sacrificing speed/quickness, IMO.

He also uses his hands well and unlike the Charles Harris' of the world, is not a one trick pony.

Yeah, he may get moved off the edge until he gets the hang of it, but we desperately needed his rush abilities.

if i had a nickel for every time i've heard this.
Agreed, but as everything, it's on paper, he needs to prove himself.

Dion Jordon was supposed to be a special pass-rusher...Failed, Drugs took priority to working hard to become great.

Agreed, but as everything, it's on paper, he needs to prove himself.

Dion Jordon was supposed to be a special pass-rusher...Failed, Drugs took priority to working hard to become great.
I was making a weiner joke about the small snippet of the post I quoted.

Back
Top Bottom