Dolphins sign first round pick Jaelan Phillips | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign first round pick Jaelan Phillips

\Jaso

great to have your contributions @Digital its been awhile. The kid reminds me build wise like JT! In complete honesty I’m not so sure about the run stopping abilities. He seems a little too light in that department to hold up on the edges etc. Seems more like and lock out, pivot, and engage where the run is going using is athletic ability more than physical strength and stoutness.
Thanks! And agreed on the strength. IMHO, he needs a bit more muscular development both lower body and upper body, to set the edge and to finish those high flying edge tackles where he sometimes slides off stout QB's. But he's young, and that will likely come with age and NFL strength training. I definitely see his body type like JT's ... incredible change of direction for a 6'5 kid, and a pretty quick first step.

Thanks! And agreed on the strength. IMHO, he needs a bit more muscular development both lower body and upper body, to set the edge and to finish those high flying edge tackles where he sometimes slides off stout QB's. But he's young, and that will likely come with age and NFL strength training. I definitely see his body type like JT's ... incredible change of direction for a 6'5 kid, and a pretty quick first step.

When he came to Miami he was like 230 but worked his butt off to get to a toned 260
A few more lb's should be no problem even though I thought he was solid against the run other than the NC game
15 Tackles for loss or something like that. Not bad.

I don't expect it to take very long before we see results on the field from Phillips. He was a man against boys at the college level. After an NFL camp and pre season he'll start game one and he'll be a force from now on! He closes the gap with Buffalo more than any other rookie because of the amount of time Allen had to throw. We can't compete with the Bills until we can affect Allen in the pocket. We need to sack him early and often and if not a sack a physical hit that throws him off his game. If he gets comfortable he eats you alive. I hope Phillips becomes Allen's worst enemy.

Back
Top Bottom