Dolphins sign OT Austin Jackson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign OT Austin Jackson

After reports Thursday that the Dolphins signed Austin Jackson to his rookie contract, Miami made things official with its mid-first-round pick out of USC. The Dolphins took to Twitter and published a tweet with two pictures Friday, showing Jackson sitting at a table and smiling before putting the pen to paper.

Terms of Jackson's deal have not yet been disclosed or reported. According to spotrac.com, the projected contract for Jackson is four years with a fifth-year option — a standard rookie contract — which would keep him in Miami through the end of the 2024 season.

He's the youngest player to come into the league this year...a pro and a con

regarding Hunt, I'm done projecting how linemen will play based on college tape after the Isaac Asiata pad level fiasco...

I've been pretty critical of our OL selections this draft. But, in time, this could prove to be a good selection. Jackson has the talent, and I like the drive and attitude as well. With him it's just time. He's one of the youngest OL in the top few tiers of OL. So, he probably would need a bit of a redshirt learning year anyway. Coming off of last offseason's bone marrow transplant, he was understandably out of shape and subpar for much of the year, so he still needs more time to heal and recover in addition to developing. All signs point to him being a 2021 draft pick taken a year early. Expecting him to play up to his 1st round status as a rookie, IMHO is asking to much.

If we sit Tua for his rookie season, then the Jackson pick makes sense, and gives him time to catch up. If we push Tua out with this OL, Tua's getting hurt, and I think that would be very dumb of this coaching staff to do that. Generally, when you draft a QB, you surround him with talent. But the Dolphins rarely do that. We never did with Tannehill, and he never reached his potential until he went to a team that had a good OL. I'd hate to see us make the same mistake twice.

29 mil is from Spotrac before the contract, 22.4 mil is from overthecap before the contract and they listed Austin Jackson at 610k because they don't yet have the contract details, there will be a signing bonus and part of it will count against the cap. 22.4 - 610k = 21.8 missing part of signing bonus - Spotrac doesn't even list Austin Jackson yet

Not sure why there is 7.5 mil difference between the 2 one can only guess but I believe overthecap is closer to the real cap number, didn't always believe so but better to error with less money and be happy if the other is closer to the truth, still think OTC is closer.
The difference I see has to do with Rashad Jones. For some reason one site is counting his dead money and the other site is not. I believe the site that says we have less cap space left.

Spotrac has us with a dead cap hit of 22,872,699 and est cap space top 51 of 28.082,621 also list Reshad Jones dead money at 10.1

Overthecap has us with a dead cap hit of 23,265,859 and est cap of top 51 of 20,718,363 also list Reshad Jones dead money at 10.19 mil

So that 7.2 something mil is somewhere else, that's a decent player there if you move his signing bonus throughout the length of his contract....only 400k in dead money difference between the 2 sites.

Only real interest would be if someone sprung free we really wanted could we make an offer without jumping back into the creative financing we has under Tannenbaum.

Back
Top Bottom