Dolphins six-pack: Dieter gets a look at center | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins six-pack: Dieter gets a look at center

Hmmm, Digital. I find it very hard to see things the way you do.

In 2020 we drafted an OL guy. Here is what a web site has to say.

Technique and prototype frame are NFL quality. He has a strong frame that can turn him into one of the most violent and tenacious offensive linemen in the NFL. Once he catches a defender, very rarely will they break away from him, giving him ample room to wear down smaller and less active defenders. He is strong enough to move interior and operate as a mobile guard should he not develop the lateral skills needed to beat the average defender. At worst, a team secures an offensive guard for a quaint four-year career; at best, they secure a tackle who can hold the edge for a decade.

In 2019 we also drafted an OL guy. This is what the same web site had to say.

He’s far from a perfect prospect. He didn’t match up well against the elite players in college football, which obviously doesn’t bode well for his NFL future. These struggles are primarily due to his subpar strength and build, which is something that will need to change in the NFL. He’ll never be able to overcome his below-average wingspan and arm length, but he could add strength on an NFL training program. The best-case scenario is to start his rookie season on the bench. He has the versatility to fill in anywhere if needed, but he’ll need a year to gain an NFL-caliber build. Once he does that, he should be able to compete for a starting guard position in 2020. He could be a decent center, but he should only play tackle in a worst-case scenario.

Well, to be fair, when we drafted Dieter, we still had Tunsil to anchor the line. Who knew Houston would go full retard?

You can make a valid arguement that we could have gone O-line instead if Wilkins, and kept our original 2nd rd pick as well.

I'm not disappointed in the guys we drafted this year, but only time will tell.
LOL, good points all. Love the Tropic Thunder reference!

Still, when you're doing a tear-down rebuild, its often smart to start with the positions that take the longest time gelling, which tends to be TE, OL, and DB, but we had a young and talented TE with a corps of other young prospects. We also made logical selections in numerous places leading us away from DB--although good choices could have still been made. The Rosen trade was a flier, and I can't blame a coach for taking a flier on a young QB with lots of potential. Although, I never rated him highly and he ended up having the same issues of which we were warned by UCLA and unnamed NFL insiders at Arizona. Who knows, maybe he'll blossom one day as he matures, or maybe he'll be another Jeff George, a talented and titillating prospect that never becomes the player or leader he could become.

We knew we were drafting a QB in 2020. IMHO, the time to get the OL was in 2019, even with Tunsil protecting the blindside. With Tunsil we would have 2 OT's (Laremy Tunsil and Jesse Davis) and need to fill the gaps with interior OL and swing men. I gotta admit, of all the OL we let get away, Tunsil may sting the most. For a team perpetually in the basement of pass protection and run blocking ... that one hurts.

The Patriots always have a long line of OL prospects parading through their camp, and they cut a LOT of OL until they find some dude who can consistently be average and will sign for peanuts. We pay Fort Knox and get sporadically successful guys who always get hurt and then leave in FA because we can't re-sign them. Our drafting philosophy is wrong. This reversion to that philosophy in 2020 guts me.

Hmmm, Digital. I find it very hard to see things the way you do.

In 2020 we drafted an OL guy. Here is what a web site has to say.

Technique and prototype frame are NFL quality. He has a strong frame that can turn him into one of the most violent and tenacious offensive linemen in the NFL. Once he catches a defender, very rarely will they break away from him, giving him ample room to wear down smaller and less active defenders. He is strong enough to move interior and operate as a mobile guard should he not develop the lateral skills needed to beat the average defender. At worst, a team secures an offensive guard for a quaint four-year career; at best, they secure a tackle who can hold the edge for a decade.

In 2019 we also drafted an OL guy. This is what the same web site had to say.

He’s far from a perfect prospect. He didn’t match up well against the elite players in college football, which obviously doesn’t bode well for his NFL future. These struggles are primarily due to his subpar strength and build, which is something that will need to change in the NFL. He’ll never be able to overcome his below-average wingspan and arm length, but he could add strength on an NFL training program. The best-case scenario is to start his rookie season on the bench. He has the versatility to fill in anywhere if needed, but he’ll need a year to gain an NFL-caliber build. Once he does that, he should be able to compete for a starting guard position in 2020. He could be a decent center, but he should only play tackle in a worst-case scenario.
I'm assuming the 2019 guy your report is describing is Michael Deiter, and the 2020 guy is Robert Hunt.

I'm not going to go into a back and forth about it, but suffice to say that there are always a lot of reports on players. Some are 90% positive and highly forgiving, while others are brutally critical and 90% negative. When stacking up the positives of Hunt, he has prototype size and power with excellent explosion. Those are all physical attributes. He had a very limited window against top competition and fared well ... but the sample size is extremely small. He rarely pass protected. He dominated in the run game because he so overwhelmingly physically overmatched his small school opposition. Any report on Hunt saying he has "technique" is flattering at best, because the kid is raw with much of his technique, IMHO. In the positive column for Hunt is 1st round physical attributes with 5th round to UDFA technique and UDFA competition level. Let's not expect a day 1 starting RT, because he'll get abused and demoralized.

Deiter was a different player, good technique but below-par athletic attributes. Decent but not great size, average arms, sub-par agility and balance. He was one of the greatest college OL in Big 10 history ... but the NFL is a big step up from the Big 10. In the NFL he took his lumps as a rookie, and while he'll be better in 2020 ... there's no guarantee that he can be an average NFL player, because he's overmatched athletically almost every play. But, he was worth putting out there every game, and his durability shined through when lots of other prospets like Isadora and Boehm couldn't answer the bell. Just like I keep saying we need to give Hunt time to develop, I'm also not giving up on Deiter after a rocky rookie season. I think Solomon Kindley is a bit like Deiter, but with more power and size and less fitness. Those guys can be good OL for years if we take the time and develop them.

With Jackson’s young age it is hard to imagine he can play LT at a starting caliber. Not to mention no OTAs, training camp, preseason, etc. Kindley and Hunt could use a year and then maybe another draft.
I would not play Tua until the OL is good and that may be 2021.

Glad to see you back round these parts :up:

LOL..... I've been lurking but needed a serious break..... I decided before last season started that I wasn't watching the Dolphins with Fitz at QB. It would have been wrong to comment on things when I wasn't following the team.

I am very interested in how Tua will do. I do not watch much college football, so again, no comments so far. But, I love a QB that is accurate from the pocket. Tua certainly has demonstrated that. I am 100% behind him and hope he is the best QB ever to suit up for the Fins.

Back
Top Bottom