Dolphins special teams improve 20 spots in annual rankings | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins special teams improve 20 spots in annual rankings

lucid22

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Dolphins were 30th in the NFL covering punts last season, while allowing two touchdowns. This season, Miami was tied for 16th this season and allowed only one return longer than 30 yards.

The Dolphins went from 24th to 12th in kickoff coverage - a category in which Miami ranked last for more than half the 2009 season.

Miami ranked sixth in punting, up 14 spots.

Behind Ted Ginn Jr.’s 100- and 101-yard TD returns Nov. 1 at the Jets, Miami was 11th in kick-return average after ranking 30th in 2008.

The Dolphins did take a step back returning punt. The team tied for 12th in punt returns last season (9.8-yard average), but dipped to 21st this year (7.2).

The rankings do make you wonder if coaches are paying a bit of lip service to the idea that special teams is an equal phase of the game to offense and defense.

http://tinyurl.com/yjzmmpq

Just something I thought I would share. Good to know we're improving.

cool beans.....just pick up Brandon James as an UDFA,and we're good....

anything that helps improve feild position or put points on the board is important. And the same goes for the other team. If you give apposing teams good feild position or even points its going to make things that much harder.

It was nice not having to hold my breath everytime our guys were sent out there to cover a kickoff/punt.

It was nice not having to hold my breath everytime our guys were sent out there to cover a kickoff/punt.

I agree. I think with a true punt returner (no offense to Davone Bess but he just isn't the guy) we could truly have a great overall ST.

Always nice to see improvement, even if its only on ST's.

Hopefully they can carry that improvement into next season also.

Back
Top Bottom