Dolphins Team Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Team Report

PatsWin2002

Bringin' it!
Reaction score
By Todd Archer/Palm Beach Post
Dolphins Team Report
July 3, 2003

The team signed Charlie Rogers in the offseason to try and revive its return game, and his ability to also play running back or receiver means the team probably will keep one fewer player at one of those spots. That could mean trouble for RBs Robert Edwards and Travis Minor or WRs Robert Baker, J.R. Tolver and Sam Simmons, among others.

The rest (the whole thing is only 3 paragraphs long)
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/dolphins/20030703.html

Pretty stupid statement. Other than Priest Holmes and Henry who has a real starting RB behind them? Kevan Barlow behind Hearst.

3 teams who would not lose their season with a year injury to their starting RB. Although KC would not be the same.

I think he's got a valid point actually. I'm not all that confident in Travis Minor as a feature back. I'm confident in Robert Edwards, except the fact that he'd probably only last 2 or 3 games as a feature back before getting hurt.

The Jets have Lamont Jordan behind Curtis Martin. The Colts have Rhodes if James goes down. Broncos still have Mike Anderson if Portis goes down. The Raiders grabbed Justin Fargas in the draft and I think he's a great replacement for Charlie Garner, given thats just my gut feeling but I like Fargas a lot. Giants have Ron Dayne behind Tiki Barber. Eagles have Correl Buckhalter behind Duce Staley. Falcons have a glut of RBs. Cardinals have Marcel Shipp behind Emmitt.

I would say that any one of those teams have better backup RBs than the Dolphins do. Thats one of the things I didn't like so much about the Taylor Whitley pick in the draft. There were guys we could have had that could have helped this team in the short and long term more than I think Whitley will unless he becomes like this super-star OLman...guys that could have given the fans some element of excitement and hope. Dave Ragone, Julian Battle, Sam Aiken, Billy McMullen, and Justin Fargas come to mind.

Edwards has not proven he can be a starter again and Minor has not proven he can be a starter in the NFL either. Let's hope we do not have find out if either can...RB betta not be a our 2003 version of Ray Lucas

I don't think it's a matter of which one will take over for Ricky should he get injured, I think it would take both of them to make up for the loss. They both have questions of durability and distinctive differences in their games so why wouldn't we take advantage of both of their strengths while saving them the wear and tear of being the "Ricky" back. If you look at it like that the depth looks alright doesn't it?

I think the problem with not have a guy be THE guy is that your offesne becomes very predicatable if you can't do certain thing with your RB. Ricky can power it, pass block or make a pass reception. When he's in the game noone knows what we're gonna do.

If Travis is in, we are more likely to pass. If Edwards is in, he's average in all facets which takes away from the overall play of the offense. I think Edwards would be the backup due to his size and ability to grind it out more than Minor.

I don't think that's totally right phinstd, while on the surface it appears that you would be more predictable it wouldn't actually be that way. Either back is more than capable of doing anything that Ricky could do in any given situation, just not over a long period of time. If Travis is in and the dfense is on it's heels thinking pass and they get Travis up the middle or on a draw, it's going to be a surprise, and if RE is in and he releases out or runs a screen while the dfense is thinking run, the surprise is still on the D.....I don't think that you lose much predictability, it just takes a little more creative play calling.

Leonard Henry is the biggest talent of the 3, I'd love to say there is no chance he gets cut, but I am not positive. Although I am pretty sure the boy makes this team. He has the best chance of actually making a name for himself as a starter, where as the other 2 will peak solely as backups.

I notice no one commented on the Chris Chambers tidbit, which to me is the most interesting section of the report. It appears he realizes he needs to put some more work in to grab the brass ring of WR stardom.

I feel confident with Minor in there. I mean, how big was Emmit when he played for Turner? There's no other back in the league like Ricky except maybe Edge and Taylor...that doesn't mean Minor cant be successful in this offense.

Originally posted by Miamian
There are so many trade possibilities.

Too bad this isn't the NBA huh?

But anyways, this is old news..(no offense)

Back
Top Bottom