Dolphins to move Robert Hunt to Right Guard | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins to move Robert Hunt to Right Guard

Do you think Miami will look for a better fit at LG in 2022? Because it does appear they are high on Kindley.
Well to answer your question I'd probably say no, but my answer is really a qualified yes. See, we've invested a lot of resources into the OL, and for the most part we've got it sorted out.

We now have good young talent at both OT's, which is crucial. We also have a solid RG in Hunt/Kindley, and whomever doesn't start makes a good backup or stop-gap starter at LG. Our treasure trove of draft picks has ended, so I _think_ we'll be specifically targeting a young OC. With Jesse Davis we have a versatile guy who provides veteran leadership and has the ability to play all across the OL at a solid level--and those guys are rare. The only glaring weakness is at C, and if Skura shows he is fully back to the prospect of old, we may just keep him. But I suspect we'll draft a rookie OC in the 2022 draft, my guess would be in round 2 or 3. If we do that, we'll likely not select a LG in rounds 1-3, which means we're not really looking for a better fit at LG.

Free agency is always an option, but we've now tried that 3 times and when we got better than expected (Ted Karras) we didn't re-sign him, and when we got worse than expected (Ereck Flowers) we ate dead cap space and moved on from him, so I can't expect us to go down that road again so soon. We already went to the well a third time in Skura, and no matter how he does, we'll probably regret it. Either he does great and we choose not to re-sign him, or he does poorly and we move on from him ... because that's what we did last year when one guy overperformed his contract and the other guy underperformed his contract. If our team-building via FA ends up a complete bust of 0 for 3 ... I doubt we invest FA money into that position again.

So, given that I expect us to need and prioritize a center in the next draft, I don't see us actively pursuing a LG in 2022. But, Grier is always looking to upgrade the roster, and he took a flier on the troubled kid from the Titans, so I'm definitely not ruling out him exploring other ways to upgrade the LG position, it's just that I don't see it being a draft pick in the top 3 rounds or an expensive FA. Sorry I couldn't give you a more clear-cut answer brother.

You made a good argument based on the typical defenses play planning. I never considered that.

I appreciate the well organized way you presented this information. Please keep it coming.

It's more important and more informative than news about Rogers being considered for QB.
You Sir, are too kind. Thank you!

The NFL today has become such a matchup league, much like the NBA, and playing defense is a nightmare of complexity. That's precisely why you see certain defensive coaches work miracles ... because it is so tough to instantly twist all the dials and pull all the levers to compensate for the mismatches the offense are constantly setting up. Baltimore always comes to mind because they always have some of the very best mad scientists at DC and they draft guys who have the grind and film study mentality with the flexibility athletically to execute those schemes their mad scientist DC's dream up each week.

One of my favorite things about Coach Flo, is that he has been that mad scientist DC as well as a position coach and player with hands-on experience and relatable communication skills to implement that multiple-front Patriots defensive scheme. Unlike most defenses that start in the trenches and work back, Coach Flo starts in the secondary and works up, which presents a much different look for offenses and makes preparing for us very difficult for out of division teams. While our defense is not set up to dominate like Baltimore's, we specialize ins neutralizing everyone, so games like the season ending fiasco in Buffalo rarely happen against this defense. I'm sure we'll adjust and the chess game will continue. But given the demands we place on players to learn so many variations and physically be flexible enough to man so many different positions ... we simply cannot also ask them to switch sides.

The one caveat I will say though, is that Jaelan Phillips offers something different. While Emmanuel Ogbah is our #1 pass rusher, he's a DE, pure and simple. Phillips offers more versatility, and as he adjusts to the NFL, with his high capacity for learning and adapting, he'll likely be moved all around the formation in 2022 and beyond. He'll become the matchup nightmare for opposing offenses, and just as the C and QB are working hard to identify where the Mike is ... they'll also identify where Phillips lines up, because he'll wreck offensive plans on a regular basis once he comes into his own. Just my $0.02 on it though.

Anyone who thinks Solomon Kindley had even a somewhat decent rookie year is just plain delusional. He SUCKED!!!!!

What is this completely irrational confidence in this player???

If he makes the team this year at all it will be remarkable.

They drafted him with the idea he would come in and be a starter from day one. Davis and Fluker are not starting caliber players in the NFL. So if either of them end up starting over Eichenberg, the Dolphins front office will have to answer for screwing up the pick.

Yet I think Eicheberg will have no problem winning the RT position and will likely become the best offensive lineman on the Dolphins over the next few years.
Yes, because rookies just jump right into a starting spot by week one all the damn time.
Seriously, some of these expectations and the whole “they’ll have to answer for this” rhetoric is just ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks Solomon Kindley had even a somewhat decent rookie year is just plain delusional. He SUCKED!!!!!

What is this completely irrational confidence in this player???

If he makes the team this year at all it will be remarkable.
Yeah, we're the delusional and irrational ones............

Yes, because rookies just jump right into a starting spot by week one all the damn time.
Seriously, some of these expectations and the whole “they’ll have to answer for this” rhetoric is just ridiculous.
Yeah, remember that complete bust Robert Hunt guy we took. Dude didn't even play for the first month. Scrub.

That was the first name that came to mind, especially with half the board convinced he was a wash because he didn’t start week one.
Well keep in mind he did get beat out by a guy at RG that we've clearly established is a scrub.

If a rookie doesn't start right away AND play great...bust. We all know they never get better.

The games I saw was Karras way to often being pushed back into the pocket and Tua's face
Flowers to often doing his turnstile imitation. Flowers play also made him expendable...

If these guys were any good and Flores and Grier thought they couldn't be replaced I don't think we would have let them go. Where's Karras ? oh NE and a starting center ??????

Hey its all OK we just see things differently and I think I base a lot more success for an Offense with the right OL. IMO we don't have it now as far as RT and god forbit the rookies haven't progressed to some degree of all our expectations. If they haven't a solid Vet at RT for another yearish could help immensely.. JMO

But very Happy we moved on from Flowers (even if he redid contract and was cheap) and Karras.
Hope Skura comes through and all the second year players blow are minds, just like to add a little insurance if all is not met.
David Andrews is their starting center, Karras is a backup

Kindley allowed 4 sacks and 17 pressures as a rookie (less than Flowers for both). Scrubs everywhere!
While that isn't great, saying he will be lucky to make the roster is silly, IMO.

I look for substantial improvement from all 3 of last years rookie o-linemen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom