Dolphins’ Units That Will Improve, Drop-Off or Stay the Same? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins’ Units That Will Improve, Drop-Off or Stay the Same?

Arguably, everything should improve except maybe RB. Unless some of the rookies and/or Tua disappoint.

This is my problem with evaluating ANY unit - in this case RB. Let's assume RB has IDENTICAL talent to last year. OL is better at run block and, if TT improves to top third, the new receivers force the D to back off and protect the deep balls. It's not unreasonable to say the RBs will be 'better,' with no individual improvement on their part. I have RBs as unknown mostly due to receivers/QB/OL

My only issue with the OPs post is WR. I just don't think the WR room will be much improved. But not from a talent standpoint. Clearly, talent wise we upgraded a lot! I'm talking more about the injuries. Im afraid we will be right back where we were at the end of last year, with our two best receivers not playing due to injury. Parker and Fuller. He'll, even Waddell is coming off a broken ankle. I still wish we would have picked up another WR in the second round since Williams got snubbed. Terrace Marshall JR. Would have been a great addition to the wr room.

I can't see secondary improving and doubt it stays the same. Very few players ever have put together back to back seasons like X had last year. Bobby McCain was not someone that jumped routes and took chances but he was steady as a rock at keeping plays in front of him. Seemed like every play Bobby was out there was a long TD over the player replacing him. Holland is more instinctive and explosive but he is going to be more of a boom or bust player, often in the same game. He will force turnovers but give up plays trying to get them.
I would have liked to sign Hooker, maybe that happens later.

With Phillips moving to LB, at least for now; and coupled with not drafting a DE. I wonder what they are planning along the defensive line? This is the one area I think you could see a huge drop off. The Butler F/A signing helps, but I think they need another for the rotation. Unless Miami's plan is to give snaps to both Butler and Seiler at DE to help in rotating fresh players into the lineup.

This brings me back to Johnathan Ledbetter. Flores has kept him around on the IR for 2 years, which is highly unusual. I think if he's once again healthy, Miami may be figuring him into the rotation? He won the starting DE job as a rookie. Very curious about whats going on at DE. Ledbetter brings Flores preferred size to the position.

So why do people think out RBs won’t improve but 3 out of 4 RBS have less then 2 years experience. Of our OL players can improve because they are young so can the RBs

With Phillips moving to LB, at least for now; and coupled with not drafting a DE. I wonder what they are planning along the defensive line? This is the one area I think you could see a huge drop off. The Butler F/A signing helps, but I think they need another for the rotation. Unless Miami's plan is to give snaps to both Butler and Seiler at DE to help in rotating fresh players into the lineup.

This brings me back to Johnathan Ledbetter. Flores has kept him around on the IR for 2 years, which is highly unusual. I think if he's once again healthy, Miami may be figuring him into the rotation? He won the starting DE job as a rookie. Very curious about whats going on at DE. Ledbetter brings Flores preferred size to the position.

Who can play DE? Ogbah, Strowbridge and Ledbetter

This is my problem with evaluating ANY unit - in this case RB. Let's assume RB has IDENTICAL talent to last year. OL is better at run block and, if TT improves to top third, the new receivers force the D to back off and protect the deep balls. It's not unreasonable to say the RBs will be 'better,' with no individual improvement on their part. I have RBs as unknown mostly due to receivers/QB/OL
You are making it more complicated than it needs to be.

The RB's being the same as last year should be improved since all of the other variables that you stated should be improved. If there are set backs in those variables then maybe not. The RB's themselves may not have improved but there should be improvements on the field.

You generally find that players in years 1-3 improve. QBs tend to improve in years 1-5 (the exception is running QBs who often decline in year 2 just b/c teams get better at stopping them unless they put in the work to improve their passing).

So if you have a team made up of primarily young players (years 1-3) and nothing else changed, your team will probably improve. It's kind of the same everywhere outside of the simplest jobs. I was better at my job after a year of experience than I was when I first started.

DL - Same - I see the DL getting better on the pass rush (I’m warming up to the Phillips pick), But I don’t think they’ll be as good as last year against the run. So….I’ll call this staying the same.

LB’s - Drop Off - KVN wasn’t a world beater last year…But he was a leader. The defense wasn’t the same without him on the field. I hope Van Ginkle fills his shoes better than I think he will. As for McKinney, he’s a down hill thumper….But he’s not a 3 down backer. Also, Baker needs to take the next step this year.

If the front seven regresses against the run and the linebacker core doesn't play as well as last year's unit this defense as a whole is going to struggle. Neither was a strength of this defense and there's a reason there's been a bit of an overhaul.

Assuming everyone can stay relatively healthy there should be better players on the field for all those snaps Grugier-Hill, Eguavoen and Roberts took up last year. The drop-off without Van Noy was noticeable though and it remains to be seen what Phillips/Van Ginkel can bring to the table in that role.

The d-line has some supremely talented and still very young players in Wilkins and Davis. I think its reasonable to expect them to continue to get better. Sieler and Jenkins are both solid rotation players. Ogbah is looking for his last payday and I would expect another big year for him.

There are a lot of unknowns here but I'm hopeful for an improvement. McKinney is the best linebacker this team has seen since Dansby and should be a massive improvement over what the phins were running out there last year. The talent is there for a formidable pass rush and for the first time in a while you can envision a line that's able to get pressure on the QB without blitzing.

I think the pieces are all there.....can't wait to see what it looks like on the field.

Let’s hear your take on what units you expect to get better, stay the same or get worse compared to last year.

QB’s - Improve - Tua should make a solid jump this year. I actually liked Jacoby Brissett when he was in New England. I expect Big improvement this year from this unit.

RB’s - Same - Obviously not a big infusion of talent into this room. I expect them to stay the same as last year….Maybe a slight improvement due to a possibly better OL.

WR‘s - Improve - Will Fuller, Waddle, Parker etc…. I expect a lot of improvement here. Finally some guys that can actually separate.

TE’s - Same - This is a tough unit to call. I like Gesicki and I hope he continues his upward trajectory…. But I’m not sure how the rest of that room will grow. Throw in the rookie Hunter Long and maybe they’re better?

OL - Improve - I like Eichenberg at RT. moving Hunt inside. Kindley back at guard. This unit will be improved. The problem is…..It’s gonna take a few games for these guys to gel in my opinion. I see the real improvement after week 8 or so.

DL - Same - I see the DL getting better on the pass rush (I’m warming up to the Phillips pick), But I don’t think they’ll be as good as last year against the run. So….I’ll call this staying the same.

LB’s - Drop Off - KVN wasn’t a world beater last year…But he was a leader. The defense wasn’t the same without him on the field. I hope Van Ginkle fills his shoes better than I think he will. As for McKinney, he’s a down hill thumper….But he’s not a 3 down backer. Also, Baker needs to take the next step this year.

DB’s - Improve - As tough as it will be (this was a good unit last year), I expect this to be a top 3 unit in the NFL this year. Holland should bring great safety play. I expect better play from Byron Jones and of course another good year from X. I expect there will be a no fly zone over Hard Rock Stadium this year.

ST’s - Same - Sanders is money. Hard to get better than last year. Parlardy is average. I expect our coverage units to be good again.

All totaled, I expect an 11 win year from this team.
I'll take a crack using your same groupings:

QB - Improved - Tua will most definitely be improved, even if slightly. There's nothing in the kid's history that tells me he won't, especially now that he's had time to properly rehab the hip, train up, and will have a legit off-season/pre-season to prepare for the upcoming season as the #1 dude. It's there for the taking.

RBs - Improved - Gaskin has shown he's gamer. He's not a threat to take every carry to the house, but he's elusive and doesn't quit on plays or take the easy out-of-bounds. I fully believe we'll get him some better blocking and less 8-man boxes and he should get his YPC to 5+ and be a major factor. The other guys can hammer the 1 yard slaughters for 1sts/TDs when needed. He should also enjoy more room to roam based off of the aerial weaponry we now have.

WRs - Improved - I mean...

OL - Improved - MUCH more flexibility and corn-fed quality. May take a few weeks to gel, like you said, but by the end of the season, these guys should be grading roads.

DL - Improved - You put Phillips together with Ogbah, and I see QB pain in the crystal ball. Counting on Wilkins and others to improve some as well...not massively, but enough. The REAL impact they'll have will be on opposing QBs' ratings...not just the sacks, but failed plays in general. Should really be icing on the secondary's cake.

LBs - Same - Leaning toward improved, but McKinney is an unknown still for us. Lost KVN and picked up a guy who by all accounts from some people I respect that know these things, should excel in this defense. I think AVG has shown he's ready to excel in additional responsibility and is a baller at LB.

DBs - Improved (I know that's crazy to think of) - Holland will be a MAJOR player in shutting down opposing offenses. Ya he's a rook, but look at the situation coming in...probably the best CB duo in the game, and QBs will be avoiding X at least, and he can feast.

STs - Same - As long as they're not stepping on their Richards, its all good.

All in all, I'm slightly more optimistic and see a minimum 12-5 season coming, with losses to Baltimore, Buffalo, NE, TB and a goofy upset somewhere.

You have to admire the team-building this front office/head coach has accomplished over the past few years...I mean, how long have we been wishing for this kind of crafting of the roster? To me, this is the first year I expected them to be highly competitive once they started the tear-down. I'm ready!

The RB's being the same as last year should be improved since all of the other variables that you stated should be improved. If there are set backs in those variables then maybe not. The RB's themselves may not have improved but there should be improvements on the field.
I think the RBs themselves can improve as the majority of them are still in experiences including Gaskin

With Kindley at LG, Skura at center, and Hunt at RG.....and between Brown and Doaks....I see a big improvement in short yardage situations.

Our inability to punch it in has been a team weakness for a long time. You need to be able to pound it in from first and goal at the 5.

If we can get to the point where first downs are getting us five yards or better, and we know we can rush for 3 or better at will, then second down almost becomes a free play in which to attack downfield.

I think Long will play an important part in the running game. Not just with blocking but the routes he runs are more likely to occupy a LB.

The OP asks only which units will improve - not how. It appears most here interpret that as better, worse, same by talent added/lost. I was making the distinction there are factors other than talent.

l'll take a crack at our beloved Miami Dolphins

QB - Improved - Tua will be improved. There is only one way for him and that is UP! If he does get injured (knock on wood he doesn't) then it's all downhill from there.
But, I like Brissett. He can win a few games until we can find a replacement via FA or TRADE. But, this old fool of 39+ years of devoted loyalty is riding on TUA to take us deep into the playoffs this year.

RBs - Improved - Gaskin is not average folks he is borderline good. He may not be a threat to take every carry to the endzone, but he's shifty and doesn't quit on plays. Salvon Ahmed to me gave us a damn good scat back so he can improve too. But, will he be here after cuts is another question. I like Malcolm Brown he is bruiser and has a little get up and go to him if you miss tackle him. This new kid Doaks he can make his move to get on this roster, I like him.

WRs - Improved - DeVante Parker Will Fuller, Jaylen Waddle, Preston Williams, Jakeem Grant, Mack Hollins, and Albert Wilson. HOLY $HIT try to defend that. There is so much speed here its ridiculous. There will be separation by these boys bank on that.

OL - Improved - I am going say we have found a gem in this draft LIAM EICHENBERG. Move him to Right Tackle shore up and lock Tua's blindside. Move Robert Hunt to Right Guard. Skura will man the Center position. Solomon Kindley Left Guard. Austin Jackson Left Tackle. With Guard/Tackle Jesse Davis, Center/Guard Michael Deiter, Center Cameron Tom, Tackle Adam Pankey, Tackle Larnel Coleman, Tackle Jonathan Hubbard, Guard Durval Queiroz Neto, Center Tyler Gauthier. This unit can become elite if the all stay healthy.

DL - Improved - Christian Wilkins, Raekwon Davis, Emmanuel Ogbah in the (3-4). Jaelan Phillips, Zach Sieler, Adam Butler, and John Jenkins (4-3 Hybrid). I love our versatility inside and out. We can make adjustments and tweaks in both schemes.

LBs - Same - Andrew Van Ginkel Left LB, Benardrick McKinney Right LB, Jerome Baker Middle LB (in a 4-3 hybrid). The only addition is McKinney we'll see how he does in run support. Then we have Elandon Roberts, Vince Biegel, Brennan Scarlett, Duke Riley, Sam Eguavoen, Calvin Munson, Kylan Johnson in our (3-4 Hybrid) this depth is the same. Only addition is Duke Riley. So if they can all cover TE's and stuff the running of our opponents and make us a top 10 defense I will push it to improved.

DBs - Improved - CB Xavien Howard, CB Byron Jones, S Eric Rowe, S Jevon Holland. I believe he can be a an elite player. He is that good. He will be our Strong Safety for many years to come. Scary that this unit can become a top 3 secondary. I almost forgot our depth as well with Jason McCourty added to our secondary there is versatility to rotate NB/DB/blitz from the corner positions lots of options here its going to be fun to watch our D boys and girls. OH YEAH BABY!!!!!

STs - Same - Jason Sanders is turning into an ELITE Kicker and dare I say it, he can get as good as Vinatieri (the best clutch kicker of all-time). The lost of Haack to JiLLLLs will be awkward but, Palardy is just as good as Haack so it is the same across the board.

All in all, I am predicting a 13-4 season coming, with losses to the JiLLLLS at their house on Halloween, (we take 'em Week 2 38-28). Blackbirds we don't beat the them and you will see it again 34-21). Yucs (think Tommy Boy will do just enough to squeak out a win 27-24). The Titans as Tannehill/Henry takes it to us and gets a little revenge (39 - 33).

Chris Grier/Brian Flores/Mr. Ross/Mr. Garfinkel/The Coaching Staff/The Cheerleaders/and most important ingredient the fans are excited for 2021 NFL and let the chips fall where they may and I am saying we have a chance to go to the AFC Championship Game by winning the AFC East and the JiLLLLs fall back down to earth a bit. GO DOLPHINS!!!! So stoked!!!!

Last edited:
I think the RBs themselves can improve as the majority of them are still in experiences including Gaskin
My thought as well.

Gasky will be better.

Salvon will be better (if he makes the team).

Malcolm Brown is better than Jordan Howard, Matt Breida, and DeAndre Washington combined.

Gerrid Doaks will be in the running for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Back
Top Bottom