Dolphins’ Units That Will Improve, Drop-Off or Stay the Same? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins’ Units That Will Improve, Drop-Off or Stay the Same?

The Defense as a whole will not get as many turnovers, but still be improved. Overall it has upgraded,
just hard to duplicate the TO rate from last year.

The Defense as a whole will not get as many turnovers, but still be improved. Overall it has upgraded,
just hard to duplicate the TO rate from last year.
IDK about that.

Although, we lead the league in that category last year, it wasn't really that high of a total historically.

I completely understand regression to the mean, but I see no reason we can't be in the area of what we did last season.

Now, I will agree, it will be difficult for X to duplicate his INT number, but even there, I don't see him falling off a cliff if reasonably healthy.

QB’s - Improvement - Tua did not suddenly start declining after looking like a improving QB that was a very good QB when inside the REDZONE, injuries to weapon around him did no favors, with a better line, and more weapons at receiver, Tua will make a huge jump...Jacoby Brissett isn't going to be a world beater at times like Fitz, cut is very capable, and more evenly consistent if you need him for a few games.

RB’s - Improvement - This simply fall under improvement by people surrounding you. No real huge changes at RB, but with a better O-line, the RBs will feast.

WR‘s - Improvement- With Fuller and Waddle bring added to a talented, but underachieving bunch of WRs, this could be the biggest unit that improves.

TE’s - Same - Don't expect the drafting of Long to instantly make Miami a monster team at TE this year, but as the season goes along, it will show more and more improvement. Gesicki is more receiving weapon , with little blocking TE, Smythe is more blocking TE, with less receiving weapon, and Long with hard work and time can become the complete Recieving/Blocking TE that will make this a far better unit next year (If Gesicki is kept)

OL - Improvement - With the drafting of Eichenberg, and moving Hunt inside of the right side, while then moving Kindley to his more natural left guard side, this unit could make Huge strides, and become a good Domino effect to the passing and running game.

Front 5 -7 - Improvement - With the way Miami plays D-line and LB, players moving around, players playing LB one moment, DE the next, With the addition of Phillips, Miami will be getting more pressure without Blitzing, and that will make Miami even more effective.

Secondary - Improvement - With the drafting of Holland, and my expectation of seeing a better version of Igbinoghene, this unit will be better. Also though I do not expect X to have as many INTs this coming season, other player will have more INTs, so as a team, I expect more turnovers.

ST’s - Decline - Sanders is probably not going to have as crazy a year, we will have a new punter, a new return man (Just my opinion...Bye Grant), so though this unit will not be horrible, it will not be that great this season.

Basically I expect huge improvement in the offense, slight improvement in the Defense (Though they may not be ranked as high this year), and a slight drop-off from special teams (Sanders still will be pretty much automatic from anywhere, but not as much as last year.)

IDK about that.

Although, we lead the league in that category last year, it wasn't really that high of a total historically.

I completely understand regression to the mean, but I see no reason we can't be in the area of what we did last season.

Now, I will agree, it will be difficult for X to duplicate his INT number, but even there, I don't see him falling off a cliff if reasonably healthy.
I agree. Miami led the league in interceptions but they were tied with three other teams. X was really the only guy who was a statistical anomaly. And I think the defense will be better. Even if they didn't change anything I think they'd be a better overall defense just due to having another year in the system with a ton of young, developing players. But they did change things. I expect the pass rush will be improved with the addition of Phillips and increased use of AVG. AVG was PFF's 15th ranked pass rusher from the edge in 2020 while Van Noy was ranked 35th. (AVG was also ranked much higher overall). I saw nickel CB as a weakness last year and I think the addition of Coleman and expected development from Iggy as upgrades. We may lose some leadership with the loss of McCain, but I see Holland as having far better ball skills.

Basically, I expect our defense to be better at creating pressure and be better in coverage. I also think that we'll be better at stopping the run on early downs which should provide more pressure opportunities overall.

IDK about that.

The flip side to that is *IF* Miami can get a league average or better pass rush, INTs for the team may be a little easier.

agreed on the offense and the DL.

with the addition of McKinney and Phillips and increased playing time from AVG, i'm actually expecting an improvement from the LBs. KVN was beginning to lose a step last season.

secondary i'm going to have to say drop off for the simple fact that i don't see the same amount of turnovers. that masked a lot.
I think that what the secondary loses in turnover will be mitigated by fewer big plays against. Too many bomb connections for the opponent. Too many breakdowns and guys Wide Open.

I think that what the secondary loses in turnover will be mitigated by fewer big plays against. Too many bomb connections for the opponent. Too many breakdowns and guys Wide Open.
It seems like that, but I'm not sure the statistics back that up.

We got torched the first game against the Jills , when Jones was out, new faces all around, and X was still recovering from both covid and injury.

We got burned a couple times when McCain was out.

We were a top scoring defense for a reason, and it wasn't because we constantly gave up big plays over the top.

QB’s - Disimprovement - Tua will certainly improve but will he be as good as Fitz was in 2020 (one of if not the best statistical year of the Beard's career, with lots of Fitzmagic but far fewer brainfarts)? That's a lot to ask. I believe we'll naturally regress at QB but we'll see a much better Tua.

RB’s - Improvement - most of us would have thought Howard and Breida would be the feature backs in the stable last year, but both disappointed hugely. The 2 RBs added come with way less pro pedigree but also moderated expectations. I think they'll contribute. Gaskin and Ahmed are both sneaky-good allrounders. The real upswing will come from an improved oline.

WR‘s - Improvement- This message comes with a health warning. There is huge talent in the WR room now, we just have to see it take the field on Sundays.

TE’s - Same - Long is unlikely to generate a big upsurge in TE production. In fact, giving him snaps in his rookie year could result in regression from Smythe's/Shaheen's general dependability.

OL - Improvement - This unit HAS to be much better. The success of the team depends on it. Personally, i believe in them finding the combination that delivers a very large jump. There are too many grounds for optimism to think they'll stagnate.

Front 5 -7 - Same - dress it any way you like , but we lost 3 very big contributors in Lawson, VN and Godchaux. The additions have been encouraging, but there'll be an adjustment period and a heavy reliance on a rookie and big jumps from Sieler, AVG etc. I could see the second half of the year bringing a real tangible upswing, but early on it'll be a graft.

Secondary - Improvement - It would be natural to see X come down to earth a bit but virtually every other position should be improved, including in subpackages. Expect nickel and dime players to shine.

ST’s - Decline - in thinning out the roster for the new signings, inevitably Miami is going to lose some good established ST players. Sanders will be as good at very best, we may get improved punting.

I might give ST a level grade, but in general we need to be realistic about all the changes and how young the team is.

Back
Top Bottom