Dolphins vs. Patriots listed as the NFL's 3rd best current rivalry | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins vs. Patriots listed as the NFL's 3rd best current rivalry

Maybe cause we have split recently. Of course we did most of that with that trash qb tannehill. Who just lead the league in qbr and got $120 mil over 4 years elsewhere but I digress

I think we are getting this wrong, is only rivalry for the 2020 season, not the strongest rivalry of a franchise and their respective fan bases

Living in Florida, my thoughts on the rivalry has tied directly to the A-hole fans of the other team I have to deal with directly. As such, it's never to me been the Bills that much as there aren't that many Bills fans in either SE or SW Fla (grew ups SE but now live in SW). Jets fans drove me nuts over there and over here literally HALF of the people I run into are Patriots fans. Got that reason, Patriots are to me a full 10, Jets are a 9 and Bills are a 7 on the patented "Fin-Loco I hate your team and would like to set you on fire and put you out with a Tomahawk Missle scale".

Yeah ... this list is a crock. Wish this list were true ... but it just isn't. No doubt there is still a rivalry between the Steelers and the Browns, but no way it's bigger than the rivalry between the Steelers and the Ravens ... that's just wrong. I'm also pretty sure the Patriots will be surprised to hear that their rivals are the Dolphins. Honestly, I'd say if they even have a rival these days it might still be the Giants. The rest of the AFC East is like a favorite joke to them, sure, occasionally it backfires, but for the most part it just makes them smile and laugh every time. Does New England play Tampa Bay this year? If so, I wanna watch that game.

I'd like to have a rivalry for the Dolphins. Unfortunately, the NY/Boston natural rivalry means that while we probably consider the Jets to be our rivals, the Jets probably consider the Patriots to be their rivals, and the Patriots simply don't see any rivalries. The Bills isn't an interesting rivalry anymore compared to the Marino vs. Kelly days. The sad fact is that until we become consistently GOOD, we will not be anyone's rival. Last time that happened, we had the greatest QB who ever lived ... Dan Marino.

Yeah ... this list is a crock. Wish this list were true ... but it just isn't. No doubt there is still a rivalry between the Steelers and the Browns, but no way it's bigger than the rivalry between the Steelers and the Ravens ... that's just wrong. I'm also pretty sure the Patriots will be surprised to hear that their rivals are the Dolphins. Honestly, I'd say if they even have a rival these days it might still be the Giants. The rest of the AFC East is like a favorite joke to them, sure, occasionally it backfires, but for the most part it just makes them smile and laugh every time. Does New England play Tampa Bay this year? If so, I wanna watch that game.

I'd like to have a rivalry for the Dolphins. Unfortunately, the NY/Boston natural rivalry means that while we probably consider the Jets to be our rivals, the Jets probably consider the Patriots to be their rivals, and the Patriots simply don't see any rivalries. The Bills isn't an interesting rivalry anymore compared to the Marino vs. Kelly days. The sad fact is that until we become consistently GOOD, we will not be anyone's rival. Last time that happened, we had the greatest QB who ever lived ... Dan Marino.
Agreed. Hard to imagine. 49ers Seahawks, Chiefs Raiders, Giants Eagles, Saints Falcons, Steelers Ravens, Vikings Packers aren't all very much up there too.

Agreed. Hard to imagine. 49ers Seahawks, Chiefs Raiders, Giants Eagles, Saints Falcons, Steelers Ravens, Vikings Packers aren't all very much up there too.
It's crazy. Saying there is any NFC East rivalry stronger than the Cowboys vs. Redskins is just idiocy.

BTW, interesting story about how that rivalry got started, and it may not be why most people think. Most people assume cowboys vs. indians (American Indians) is why, but it is not. Early in the world of professional football, there weren't too many teams. The Dallas Cowboys had an owner and were petitioning to become an expansion team ... but the Cowboys were 1 vote short of the required votes to be approved. The owner lobbied all of the other owners, but they wouldn't budge. The Redskins owner realized that Washington, DC was the most southern team in the league, and that virtually all of the south was united in rooting for the Redskins, so he did not want to lose a large chunk of his fanbase by adding another southern team. So, the Cowboys owner played some dirty pool to blackmail him into changing his vote. The Cowboys owner--who had absolutely nothing to do with this item whatsoever--realized that an important Washington Redskins item had never registered an intellectual property claim, so the owner of the Cowboys copyrighted the rights to this item.

The Washington Redskins legendary fight song "Hail to the Redskins"

Then the Cowboys owner offered to give the rights to the Redskins owner if he changed his vote (blackmail), but if he chose not to change his vote, the Cowboys owner would prohibit the Redskins from using that piece of intellectual property any more. Faced with this blackmail, the Redskins owner changed his vote, obtained the intellectual property, and hated the Dallas Cowboys from the day they were formed, lost a huge chunk of the Redskins fanbase to what would become "America's Team", all well before the Cowboys first game had ever been played. THAT my friends, is the beginnings of a great rivalry.

It's crazy. Saying there is any NFC East rivalry stronger than the Cowboys vs. Redskins is just idiocy.

BTW, interesting story about how that rivalry got started, and it may not be why most people think. Most people assume cowboys vs. indians (American Indians) is why, but it is not. Early in the world of professional football, there weren't too many teams. The Dallas Cowboys had an owner and were petitioning to become an expansion team ... but the Cowboys were 1 vote short of the required votes to be approved. The owner lobbied all of the other owners, but they wouldn't budge. The Redskins owner realized that Washington, DC was the most southern team in the league, and that virtually all of the south was united in rooting for the Redskins, so he did not want to lose a large chunk of his fanbase by adding another southern team. So, the Cowboys owner played some dirty pool to blackmail him into changing his vote. The Cowboys owner--who had absolutely nothing to do with this item whatsoever--realized that an important Washington Redskins item had never registered an intellectual property claim, so the owner of the Cowboys copyrighted the rights to this item.

Then the Cowboys owner offered to give the rights to the Redskins owner if he changed his vote (blackmail), but if he chose not to change his vote, the Cowboys owner would prohibit the Redskins from using that piece of intellectual property any more. Faced with this blackmail, the Redskins owner changed his vote, obtained the intellectual property, and hated the Dallas Cowboys from the day they were formed, lost a huge chunk of the Redskins fanbase to what would become "America's Team", all well before the Cowboys first game had ever been played. THAT my friends, is the beginnings of a great rivalry.

WOW. That's a very cool story.

While Miami might have won 2 of the last 3, the Patriots have basically dominated the Dolphins and the rest of the AFC since Belichick and Brady joined the Patriots. Even though neither team have been very good over the last few decades, I have always considered the Jets vs Dolphins a much bigger rivalry than the Dolphins vs Patriots and I still do.

Not me! I root for the Jets whenever they play the Patriots unless of course a Pats win would somehow benefit us. I have no clue how every AFC east fan doesn’t feel the same way. Nothing tops NE losing! I get more up for Pats games and love that despite their dominance we are a pain in their ass every year. You could argue we’ve played a part in costing them 2 Super Bowls. That’s awesome for a team with nothing to celebrate/

Also it’s funny but I could give 2 shits about Packers vs Bears or Cowboys vs Redakins games. Actually aggravated me when I see them in prime time.

sounds more like the beginning of a criminal career to me.... and it sounds like something Jerry Jones would do. he's old enough as well :chuckle:

Back
Top Bottom