Dolphins vs Texans - Both Nolan Carroll & Jimmy Wilson not good enough backups | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins vs Texans - Both Nolan Carroll & Jimmy Wilson not good enough backups

BenchFiedler

Undrafted Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
First of all, I'm not a football guru, not a secondary coach, not an expert... But I can notice stuff like when a player is struggling while on the field.

I'm not sure why Carroll keeps making this team year after year since he was drafted. He is getting beat by anyone (2ng string, 3rd string, etc.) that he is covering. His technique might be bad, maybe it is the defensive play calling (which I doubt), but he has enough speed to cover even Mike Wallace but has a tendency to give too much cushion like 10 - 15 yds average cushion...

Jimmy Wilson obviously is not a CB and a converted safety and I'm not sure where he fits on that defense!!!! If Jones or Clemons would get injured, Wilson would be a liability in the secondary just like Samuda is to the OL...

Regarding Carroll, Is it coaching? Is it his technique? Why is he getting beat that often by non-starting receivers?

Nolan Carroll has been owning Mike Wallace, you didn't hear?

I know this thread is about the CBs, but you mentioned Samuda. Was anyone else aggravated when he started pushing around the defensive tackle like a big tough guy only to let him blow right by him on the following play? I cant STAND Samuda.

Carroll's special team work and a lack of talent at CB has kept him on the team. ST may not be enough of a reason this year.

Id keep Wilson over Carroll. I think Wilson still has more potential and is great on special teams. Plus he's more versatile. I think we would see Carroll go before Wilson. Just my opinion.

It's possible now that Jamar Taylor is back practicing and playing, Carroll could be the odd man out. It seems Patterson and his $4M+ salary are making the team. That leaves 3 spots, IF Miami keeps 6 CB's. Taylor and Davis are almost guaranteed to be #4 and #5. IMO it comes down to Carroll and Stanford for the final spot. Now if Miami gets some B***s and cut's Patterson in a salary dump Carroll is a virtual lock IMO.

I agree with OP, Carroll is easy to beat. On one play he gave a 10-15 yard cushion on his back pedal. The receiver was watching Carroll's feet and as soon as he turn to transition to run with the WR, the receiver put a move on him to make an easy catch along the side line. It was taking candy from a baby. He blows as a DB. I never see him making tackles on ST. I hope he is gone...despite his Mom's political influence. Let him go to Jacksonville.
The way he plays DB, he is just another spectator on the field.
That would be a good name for him " The spectator".

I say cut one of them last minute. lets see how they do the last two weeks, I dno. If I had to choose one at this point it would be Carroll. Neither is a good option.

I see Wilson making this team by virtue of no other viable options as backup safety. Not sure they would fill comfortable having McCray as the main backup. Carroll on the otherhand is going to have a hard time making this squad if they keep both Marshall and Patterson unless they plan on moving Marshall back to safety where he belongs even though he hasn't seen a single snap there during his Miami tenure.

Back
Top Bottom