Dolphins’ Waddle addresses Tyreek Hill comparisons: how they measure up. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins’ Waddle addresses Tyreek Hill comparisons: how they measure up.

This is some old school thought. The X is not the primary WR in a lot of modern day O's. The slot is targeted like 35%. KC under Reid targets the slot position a ton. The top modern O's don't pigeon hole WRs so much anymore. Short guys are lining up in the X spot while a lot of traditional outside guys are lining up in the slot now. Bruce Arians loves to move guys into the slot as well. When in Zona he move Fitzgerald inside. Last because Brady loves to work the slots they Evans lined up mire inside then outside. Basically in the best O's you are a good WR or you are not and can line up all over really.
which is why I said... "Yes, I know that all WRs move around..." It was literally in the post that you quoted.

I still think the Chase vs. Waddle question just comes down to the fact that they play different positions. Yes, I know that all WRs move around, inside and outside, but Chase's primary role will be as the X, the primary receiver-- the outside guy that everything is based upon, while Waddle will be primarily as a slot, but a slot that also has long speed, so he is a Y and a Z.

I don't think you really can compare the two; they are being asked to do different jobs on the field.
I agree with this. And how you put it is why down the road when they both produce there will still be no real comparison between the two. But it will be debated their entire careers.

I agree with this. And how you put it is why down the road when they both produce there will still be no real comparison between the two. But it will be debated their entire careers.
That is inevitable... people love these things. Brees vs. Culpepper, Manning vs. Leaf... Hell... Marino vs. Kelly.

But in this case, I think it is less fair than it usually is, because these two are going to be asked to do completely different things in the offense. This will be more like comparing a great Tackle with a Great Guard.

There's waaay too much agreement in this thread,
can't someone start picking on someone else?
sheila broflovski singing GIF by South Park

IMO, the X is to occupy one of the two top corners on the opposition, the Alpha if you will. Having Fuller and Parker in theory will take one of those, if not both leaving Waddle to exploit inside coverage until he demands top billing. A nicer situation than last year's two "high school prospects", at the end of the year.

which is why I said... "Yes, I know that all WRs move around..." It was literally in the post that you quoted.
Yes but you also said that the X is more valuable/drives the play which is just not true in a lot of O's anymore. I think you can compare Waddle vs Chase. Top WRs play all over now. Hill playes everywhere he is not a X or a Y just good WR. Heck people on this site wanted A. Robinson if he hit the market. In 2019 he actually produced more out of the slot then outside. Waddle can play inside because he has the quickness/burst or he can play outside as well because even though he is short he has true over the top speed.

I believe that most of the time, the X still does... He generally draws a team's best CB, or at the very least... the second best CB, and this opens up the field for the smaller, speedier guys.
On some offenses, a stellar TE can do this job... but it's very rare for the smaller guy to draw consistent single coverage from a team's best CB. Does it happen? Sometimes, but it is NOT the norm, and it is why the old player designations still work as a general rule.

For months, we’ve all heard the comparison: Miami Dolphins rookie receiver Jaylen Waddle is another Tyreek Hill, the speedy Kansas City Chiefs Pro Bowl receiver.

It’s a comparison that’s flattering to Waddle but obviously premature considering Hill’s NFL achievements; he’s a five-time Pro Bowler and three-time first-team All Pro.

A Google search this week produced 53,600 entrees in which the words “Jaylen Waddle” and “Tyreek Hill” appear in the same piece.

“Jaylen Waddle — Tyreek Hill, that’s what this guy is,” former Washington and Houston general manager Charley Casserly said on NFL Network. “He’s going to run by everybody.”

“He can be your Tyreek Hill stretch-the-field type player,” ESPN’s Matt Miller said.

“Waddle is the closest thing to Tyreek Hill we have seen since the Kansas City superstar entered the league,” Pro Football Focus said.

Waddle has “lightning quick, game changing Tyreek Hill quickness in space,” ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit said.

I echo Miller's thoughts

Back
Top Bottom