Dolphins’ Waddle addresses Tyreek Hill comparisons: how they measure up. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins’ Waddle addresses Tyreek Hill comparisons: how they measure up.

TrinidadDolfan

1st Team All-Pro
Reaction score
For months, we’ve all heard the comparison: Miami Dolphins rookie receiver Jaylen Waddle is another Tyreek Hill, the speedy Kansas City Chiefs Pro Bowl receiver.

It’s a comparison that’s flattering to Waddle but obviously premature considering Hill’s NFL achievements; he’s a five-time Pro Bowler and three-time first-team All Pro.

A Google search this week produced 53,600 entrees in which the words “Jaylen Waddle” and “Tyreek Hill” appear in the same piece.

“Jaylen Waddle — Tyreek Hill, that’s what this guy is,” former Washington and Houston general manager Charley Casserly said on NFL Network. “He’s going to run by everybody.”

“He can be your Tyreek Hill stretch-the-field type player,” ESPN’s Matt Miller said.

“Waddle is the closest thing to Tyreek Hill we have seen since the Kansas City superstar entered the league,” Pro Football Focus said.

Waddle has “lightning quick, game changing Tyreek Hill quickness in space,” ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit said.

3o1yto.jpg

I still think the Chase vs. Waddle question just comes down to the fact that they play different positions. Yes, I know that all WRs move around, inside and outside, but Chase's primary role will be as the X, the primary receiver-- the outside guy that everything is based upon, while Waddle will be primarily as a slot, but a slot that also has long speed, so he is a Y and a Z.

I don't think you really can compare the two; they are being asked to do different jobs on the field.

Unsure whether or not I should be hopeful that he 'wins as many one on ones' as Tyreek Hill.

Waddle is the player I wanted with the first pick. Yet like every other player entering the NFL, he has to go out and prove it at the NFL level. Whether or not he is similar to Hill is irrelevant to me. I just hope he is the Waddle he was at Alabama and that will be good enough for me.

Waddle is the player I wanted with the first pick. Yet like every other player entering the NFL, he has to go out and prove it at the NFL level. Whether or not he is similar to Hill is irrelevant to me. I just hope he is the Waddle he was at Alabama and that will be good enough for me.
Same!

Its going to be a whole different outlook for this offense thats for sure, and this is not even dependant on Waddle getting alot of production in his rookie year... Fins top 3 options last year were almost always these possession type receivers. The addition of Fuller and Waddle on top of Wilson returning will completely change that dynamic. It'll be night and day when it comes to what those Ds are going to look like even for a casual fan.

I still think the Chase vs. Waddle question just comes down to the fact that they play different positions. Yes, I know that all WRs move around, inside and outside, but Chase's primary role will be as the X, the primary receiver-- the outside guy that everything is based upon, while Waddle will be primarily as a slot, but a slot that also has long speed, so he is a Y and a Z.

I don't think you really can compare the two; they are being asked to do different jobs on the field.
This is some old school thought. The X is not the primary WR in a lot of modern day O's. The slot is targeted like 35%. KC under Reid targets the slot position a ton. The top modern O's don't pigeon hole WRs so much anymore. Short guys are lining up in the X spot while a lot of traditional outside guys are lining up in the slot now. Bruce Arians loves to move guys into the slot as well. When in Zona he move Fitzgerald inside. Last because Brady loves to work the slots they Evans lined up mire inside then outside. Basically in the best O's you are a good WR or you are not and can line up all over really.

This is some old school thought. The X is not the primary WR in a lot of modern day O's. The slot is targeted like 35%. KC under Reid targets the slot position a ton. The top modern O's don't pigeon hole WRs so much anymore. Short guys are lining up in the X spot while a lot of traditional outside guys are lining up in the slot now. Bruce Arians loves to move guys into the slot as well. When in Zona he move Fitzgerald inside. Last because Brady loves to work the slots they Evans lined up mire inside then outside. Basically in the best O's you are a good WR or you are not and can line up all over really.
I agree.

The slot position today is not philosophically the same as even a decade ago.

Now you see little guys, big guys, TEs, whatever.

It's all about creating mismatches, and forcing the defense into a disadvantage, whether that be the slot defender, or on the other side of the formation.

Back
Top Bottom