Dolphins Weakpoints | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Weakpoints

Phintaztik

^Forever Freaky^
Reaction score
I want to hear some opinons on the Dolphins major weakpoints, IMO, there aren't many, if any... Unless ofcourse you consider the QB problem but I'm speaking on a whole, not right now.

OLB's.....maybe third corner, although fletcher has been playing better lately.....#2 receiver ( CC?, We'll see see.).....not much, maybe LT too but Dixon should be back this week so that's another ?.

Well would you really venture to say that our OLB's are a "weakness", i more look at them as a quiet spot, the make they plays they should, but they rarely come up with those defining plays

Originally posted by Phintaztik
I want to hear some opinons on the Dolphins major weakpoints, IMO, there aren't many, if any... Unless ofcourse you consider the QB problem but I'm speaking on a whole, not right now.

I'd have to say Ruddy and Perry at RG and C. When they play decent DT's they are dominated and Ricky gets hit in the backfield. Then I'd have to say OLB, but Zach is so good that he takes up the slack.

I don't know that not having major weakpoints is necessarily true.

OL:
The OL has played up and down and against tough DLines have been not only stalemated but shoved into the backfield. Hello Ruddy and Perry. Dixon (when healthy) and Nails however cannot be linked into this problem....... those two are pure nasty.

Outside LB: Sometimes I wonder if these guys are even on the field. Especially Greenwood. Anytime I do see him is 5 yards down the field on his butt during a run.

Defensive coaches and scheme:
I think the coaches just aren't taking advantage of the talent on this squad. They are being very conservative supposedly to keep from giving up big plays but even then they somehow seem to give up the big play anyway. What gives???????

QB:

Limited in what this position can give us regardless of which guy is in there.

Now having said that, every team has a weekpoint somewhere. The teams that make it I think are the ones that scheme to overcome them successfully. Can the Fins do it? We'll see.
Monday night will be a VERY good indicator of whether this team can really play with the big boys in a playoff type atmosphere.

Well I understand why you would say OL right off but our offensive line is #1 in the nfl right now for sacks allowed so protection definately isnt the problem and we are 6th in the NFL in rushing so run-blocking isnt too big of a deal either (even though ricky's talent plays a major role in that area.) I guess the most obvious is OLB, but what would we say if we went not only posistion specicfic but player specicfic? whos performance just isnt up to par right now?

I certainly wouldn't say the O-Line is a "weak spot." It has been a very bright spots at times this season and, at other times, it's been a little inconsistent, but weak would be a stretch.

As far as the outside backers go, they're doing what they're supposed to do based upon the defensive scheme the 'Fins run. Granted, they could be a little bit more impactful- especially Greenwood- but overall they're not performing poorly.

Right now, there are no glaring weaknesses on the team (this is not homeristic, just realisitic) just areas that could use some improvement.

"Moron" Greenwood. Last year Derrick Rodgers was in this group. However since the start of the Colts game he has been playing very strong. These guys don't ever rush the QB so unfortunately you never see the numbers. Greenwood though is a liability.

Arturo Freeman. This guy has had plenty of grooming time and needs to step it up a notch. If a scrub like Brian Walker can look good and cash in with this system then he should be able to play halfway decently especially with the oppurtunities he gets.

Tim Ruddy/Todd Wade. These guys are not playing well at all. I'm watching Ruddy get pushed back far too often and I am not even a guy who watches the OL too closely. So if I am seeing it then it's a problem. Wade is getting beat far too easily by even average linemen. Definately a one year wonder. Nails is a beast and we got to find a way to extend him. Dixon is great when he's healthy......healthy being the key word and Todd Perry has been great also helping to cover for the average play of Wade/Ruddy.

DE's excluding Jason Taylor. These guys are not getting it done at a consistent enough level to draw the double team off J.T. Grats to Taylor for putting up great numbers despite the constant double teams. J.T could have 9 sacks right now if it weren't for the constant double teams and chips.

One small coaching mistake. Travis Minor should be the 3rd down back for Ricky. Minor is a speedster and is proving it on the kick returns. Minor was great out of the backfield as a pass catcher. When Edwards comes in he's a lot like Ricky. He will try to pound it out where Minor would switch things up by being the cutter with speed.

QB as of right now...

... when Fiedler returns no more QB problems, and I'd say LB depth. Beyond that I think we are the BEST team in the NFL, as far over all talent goes.

Oliver...

Yeah...

... the Dolphins have the 4th BEST rushing offense, and they protect the QB in a top 10 fashion, yeah they are a concern.

Oliver...

Originally posted by CA Dolfan
Offensive line

I wouldn't say we have a "weakness" per say. The only place I see a true weakness would be depth on the OL and at LB. But we do have areas of concern.

Right now, QB could spell trouble for us. You can't ignore Ray Lucas' disaster 2 weeks ago. That was just ungoldy. And Jay isn't just gonna come back and blow up the world. He's gonna need time to adjust again. But if we can hang on and he finds his stride by the end of the season, that bodes extremely well for us (getting hot late).

A lack of a true #2 WR might be a problem. Now, I believe that Cris Carter can still do it. But he might take a while. Again, if he can find his stride down the stretch (like Fiedler), it bodes very well for us. But right now, McKnight and Ward are better suited for situational downs.

The offensive line's inconsistency could also hurt us. Jamie Nails is the only bonafied stud on that line right now (he'll be re-upped for sure). Ruddy is average at best. He gets pushed around too much in the run game. Todd Wade has regressed big time. He doesn't excel at anything anymore. And that's sad. Perry has trouble with the big boys. But IMO, that's what the center is for. And Ruddy doesn't hold up his end of the deal. I like Perry. Spriggs and Dixon are ok. A healthy Dixon could make a big difference.

Again, we could be one injury away from disaster up front. So cross your fingers.

On defense, I really don't see the DEs as a problem. My wish is that David Bowens could get/stay healthy. I believe he would be better than Wallay out there. He can really get to the QB. His presence makes the unit dangerous. Especially on critical 3rd downs. Like Jay and Cris, he's got an opportunity to come on strong down the stretch.

And finally, you know how I feel about Jim Bates.....although he has shown me more the last few weeks. But he still could ultimately lead us to our downfall.

Ill go with WR's Chambers and Carter r doing well but when we go on those 3rd and longs Mcknight and ward have a tendency to drop balls

ALSO SS Freeman amking the tackles but i dont c him here much longer

Back
Top Bottom