Dolphins Working out Malik McDowell | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Working out Malik McDowell

Sounds like we brought in a few DTs, by far the most intriguing being Daylon Mack. Seems he's bounced around a couple of practice squads since Baltimore took him in the fifth round of the 2019 draft.

He tested well coming out of Texas A&M. Needs good coaching to help him turn that raw ability into something. Certainly worth bringing in.

Not sure what McDowell has to offer after a 3 year hiatus from football. Seems like a troubled young man, but hopefully he's straightened himself out. DT seems to be a priority now. I'd go with Mack for the short term; then reevaluate in the offseason?

i might be wrong but mcDowell reminds me of the time we got Robert Nkemdiche off the scrap heap

hope i am wrong !!

Arizona had a rough few years in the first round. lol

Nkemdiche and Rosen both busted quick and Reddick seems like a guy without a true position.

Honestly I feel like Flo could be the perfect supervisor for this guy.

A DE specimen that can shift inside to tackle and hold his own against the run for way less $ than initially valued at, work him out and if he can pass physical sign him. We have seen the Phins take shots and give second chances, this is low risk high reward.

We still take a shot at stout and proven DT but remember what happened with the Suh money
Yeah, and I understand love of game/competition/very good living even for lower paid players, but he has already had a substantial head injury in a pretty violent endeavor.

Questions abound apparently but Malik McDowell was a first round talent who was mocked to Miami in 2015 by several "experts" (like RW). He was very controversial then for his commitment and attitude but his upside was off of the charts as far as measurables and flashes on tape. Guys like Aldon Smith and Dion Jordan have reinvented themselves this year; maybe McDowell can start over and unleash his potential. I hope so. I like the guy and he was/is an amazing H/W/S specimen.

I'm glad Miami is taking a look!

RW

Never was high on the guy ... saw high bust potential. The ATV accident is a bit of a curve ball, but I can't say that it surprises me that he's been a bust thus far--although it appears it was not his fault (accident).

Sounds like we brought in a few DTs, by far the most intriguing being Daylon Mack. Seems he's bounced around a couple of practice squads since Baltimore took him in the fifth round of the 2019 draft.

He tested well coming out of Texas A&M. Needs good coaching to help him turn that raw ability into something. Certainly worth bringing in.

Mack is a short squat powerhouse. Just the opposite of McDowell. The problem with Mack is he looks better in drills than actual games. It looked kind of obvious during that offseason with the Senior Bowl practices, etc. that Mack was playing himself into a draft position that his actual ability level didn't warrant.

Nobody in Seattle had positive things to say about McDowell. I follow some of their blog sites and forums. He didn't have the necessary attitude or practice habits even before the ATV accident. There was also discussion that his personality and cognitive ability seemed to change after the accident. Then all the off field stuff. Keep in mind all of this was an extension of his final season at Michigan State, where his play was so lazy and disinterested he fell out of the first round.

I don't like drafting jerks or signing jerks. That is an extension of the early years of the franchise, when the Dolphins did great as long as they stuck to high character guys. Bobby Beathard veered away from that by taking chances on troubled guys like Don Reese and Daryl Carlton and Randy Crowder. The Dolphins got burned. Beathard conceded he made a mistake. He said it helped him later at Washington. The character theme was so pronounced for the Dolphins following the disastrous 1976 season that the top two picks A.J. Duhe and Bob Baumhower were selected with that in mind. Every post draft article spotlighted the character aspect and how the 1977 draft was designed to righten the ship in that regard.

Mack is a short squat powerhouse. Just the opposite of McDowell. The problem with Mack is he looks better in drills than actual games. It looked kind of obvious during that offseason with the Senior Bowl practices, etc. that Mack was playing himself into a draft position that his actual ability level didn't warrant.

Nobody in Seattle had positive things to say about McDowell. I follow some of their blog sites and forums. He didn't have the necessary attitude or practice habits even before the ATV accident. There was also discussion that his personality and cognitive ability seemed to change after the accident. Then all the off field stuff. Keep in mind all of this was an extension of his final season at Michigan State, where his play was so lazy and disinterested he fell out of the first round.

I don't like drafting jerks or signing jerks. That is an extension of the early years of the franchise, when the Dolphins did great as long as they stuck to high character guys. Bobby Beathard veered away from that by taking chances on troubled guys like Don Reese and Daryl Carlton and Randy Crowder. The Dolphins got burned. Beathard conceded he made a mistake. He said it helped him later at Washington. The character theme was so pronounced for the Dolphins following the disastrous 1976 season that the top two picks A.J. Duhe and Bob Baumhower were selected with that in mind. Every post draft article spotlighted the character aspect and how the 1977 draft was designed to righten the ship in that regard.
Reese and Crowder were the two popped for coke ..right? i think Nick Buoniconti was their lawyer if i remember correctly..

Back
Top Bottom