Dolphins workout J’Marcus Webb, looking to find Week 1 left tackle | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins workout J’Marcus Webb, looking to find Week 1 left tackle

Webb was with the Colts last year so this is a familiarity thing with Googs. It should be a short learning curve as far as technique goes. He just needs to learn the plays.

This also probably means that Sterup is not coming back to the active roster unless someone gets hurt.

Van Ginkel will be eligible to return week 6 of the regular season. Who gets booted from the team then?

Isnt that the PUP you come back after 6 weeks. Thought IR was you were done for the year. Could be wrong.

Isnt that the PUP you come back after 6 weeks. Thought IR was you were done for the year. Could be wrong.
PUP is week 6. IR designated for return is also week 6 to return to practice, week 8 he's eligible to return to the active roster.

In 2017 the NFL allowed 2 players to be "IR designated for return" which means the players can be put on IR and then return to the active roster provided they're healthy enough.

IR List Rules Summary
  • Only players with a “major injury” who are placed on the IR list after 4 p.m. EST on Tuesday, September 3, 2019, or during the season are eligible to be reactivated later in the season.
  • A major injury is described as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football for at least six weeks — or 42 calendar days — from the date of injury.
  • A player who is placed on the IR list after 4 p.m. EST on Tuesday, September 3, 2019, must be immediately “designated for return” at the time he is placed on the list. That designation must appear on that day’s Personnel Notice.
  • That designated player is eligible to return to practice if he has been on the IR list for at least six weeks from the date he was placed on Reserve. He is eligible to return to the active list if has been on the IR list for at least eight weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve.
PUP List Rules Summary
  • Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) — Players listed on the PUP’s regular season list are eligible to play after week 6, at which point they can begin practicing with the team. The team has a three-week window to either activate the player or send him to the injured reserve list. A player can be placed on the PUP list only if he has been on the preseason PUP list and has not been practicing with the team.

Last edited:
PUP is week 6. IR designated for return is also week 6 to return to practice, week 8 he's eligible to return to the active roster.

In 2017 the NFL allowed 2 players to be "IR designated for return" which means the players can be put on IR and then return to the active roster provided they're healthy enough.

Thanks for the clarification.

Any chance this guy is solid if healthy? Or is he terrible? Any insight ?

Does it really matter lol. Fitz will be lucky to get the ball off should they try to throw the ball regardless of game plan and who's playing LT.

Lol! I bet the Ravens will be blitzing every down. Rosen will be playing soon.

I really would have start Sterup at LT. Yes I know he's not great but he's been here the whole off season, TC and preseason games. He at least knows the offense. With a TE helping on that say you can get by for one week. Not that I'm expecting a win either way but you could at least run some type of offense with short passes and trying to run the football.
Yeah, when they cut Sterup, it was a clear indication that they were 100% committed to not keeping people they knew wouldn't be in their plan long term … if there was any doubt the tank was on, that sealed it. That was BEFORE the Tunsil move, butit was clear they were entering the season without any backup tackle of any kind …. intentionally.

Yeah, I don't get the dismissal of Sterup, either. I watched him play and sure he has a lot of the same deficiencies in pass pro that Jesse Davis has on the right side - and they seem OK with allowing Davis to play there. Sterup was also a pretty physical run blocker from what I recall (and he's huge) -- and isn't that supposed to be the plan? Commit heavily to the run and rely on play-action to offset the rough spots in pass protection while the line matures?
Sterup is too old and never going to be good enough to start, so they want kids that either A) have even a remote chance of sticking long term, or B) are good enough to start in 2023. Sterup just misses out on both, so they're not going to "waste" even a regular season snap developing him. Remember, the goal is not to win today, it is to win tomorrow.

Any chance this guy is solid if healthy? Or is he terrible? Any insight ?
Webb has been horrible for years … he's not going to ever reach the level of horrible again … he's too bad to even improve that much. He was one of those eternal projects with potential the NFL loves to give 8th chances to, like John Jerry or Dallas Thomas. When this guy is playing in his 30's after playing only 1 game all of last year, you're obviously beyond your emergency scenario.

Webb has been horrible for years … he's not going to ever reach the level of horrible again … he's too bad to even improve that much. He was one of those eternal projects with potential the NFL loves to give 8th chances to, like John Jerry or Dallas Thomas. When this guy is playing in his 30's after playing only 1 game all of last year, you're obviously beyond your emergency scenario.
Ugh great. Thanks for info.

Miami really needs to have success running the football. Didn't really do that well in the preseason, but a lot of newcomers on the offensive line so we'll see.

The deep passing game probably won't materialize. Fitzpatrick and Rosen will have to get rid of the ball quickly.

It’s a good thing quick passing is the Patriot way...let’s be straight...this team is not going to compete today... but come 2020?....lookout!

John Jerry doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Dallas Thomas. Few do.

All I know is that Fitzmagic and Rosen better grow a new set of eyes in the back of their skulls otherwise.... Man! Why the f*** did we get rid of Tunsil? I do not understand. F****ing blows big donkey d*ck. We're sunk guys. Crap!!!

Back
Top Bottom