Dolphins Worst Moves of 2022/23 Season | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Worst Moves of 2022/23 Season

Retaining Josh Boyer was the worst move in hindsight but to me that's not a fair assessment. Our bonehead owner tampering for Tom Brady and Sean Payton probably takes the cake.

Dishonorable mentions: Franchising Mike Gesicki (love the player, just not a fit in the offense), signing Trey Flowers and Eric Fisher and getting nothing in return from either of them.
You forget to include Mackensie Alexander on that list... :wnkr:

I’d be fine moving on from Grier, but at least Tyreek and Armstead came after Edmonds and Wilson, so at least Grier went for bigger moves later. I remember when people were applauding the Edmonds and Wilson moves as our big moves and game changers for the Dolphins. Ugh.

The Chubb move is TBD, IMHO. But I like the aggressiveness of the move.
Hell... I really liked the Edmonds move, and I still can't figure out why he was so bad here.
Look at his stats from Denver... they are pretty good. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry there.
When he was here, it almost looked like he ran to the wrong spot on every play, on purpose.
The only thing I can figure is that he just didn't 'get' the offense, because he isn't a bad player, even though he was here.

Hell... I really liked the Edmonds move, and I still can't figure out why he was so bad here.
Look at his stats from Denver... they are pretty good. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry there.
When he was here, it almost looked like he ran to the wrong spot on every play, on purpose.
The only thing I can figure is that he just didn't 'get' the offense, because he isn't a bad player, even though he was here.
As you are so good at articulating, free agents and draft picks are hit and miss. It's a complex and non exact science. I can never understand how some people whine when every player we bring in isn't an immediate superstar. It is pathetically hilarious.

As you are so good at articulating, free agents and draft picks are hit and miss. It's a complex and non exact science. I can never understand how some people whine when every player we bring in isn't an immediate superstar. It is pathetically hilarious.
I chuckle more often than get irritated.

This take is a home run.

I’ll take Bradley Chubb over just about anything Miami could have drafted with the 49ers pick. I think with a full offseason and training camp for Phillips and Chubb, they are gonna **** some **** up next year.

By far, the biggest issue that makes me furious is our idiot owner tampering with Payton/Brady and costing this team a chance to draft a player who could fill a need for this team and would be doing so on a rookie contract no less.
To only compare Chubb to what Miami might get with the 1st round pick is missing the bigger picture.

Last year’s 30th pick averages a little under $3 mil on his rookie contract. Chubbb is averaging $22 mil.

So the question becomes is Chubb worth the #30 pick in the draft + $19 mil per year to spend on players in free agency?

To only compare Chubb to what Miami might get with the 1st round pick is missing the bigger picture.

Last year’s 30th pick averages a little under $3 mil on his rookie contract. Chubbb is averaging $22 mil.

So the question becomes is Chubb worth the #30 pick in the draft + $19 mil per year to spend on players in free agency?
Yes... indubitably

Right. I wonder if both should be DE's. Neither seem great in coverage.
We're usually playing in some variation of a 3/4 set and one of them will almost always be on the line as a DE when they're technically listed as a LB. Or both for that matter. Don't let the position titles fool ya...

I’m not missing the bigger picture.

When you reach the level of a team that is trying to take the next step in regards to playoff/super bowl contender, you gotta pick your spots when adding players you view as difference makers.

It would be really nice, but you’re not gonna build a team that can win a SB with 22 starters on rookie contracts. The Rams rode the philosophy of trading picks for high end difference makers to a championship last year. On draft day, we saw the Eagles spend picks and millions of $$ for AJ Brown and a brand new extension. They are now 60 minutes away from a SB birth and Brown is a HUGE reason why. Granted, if you’re gonna spend that kind of capital on a difference maker, you better make damn sure you’re picking the right guy, but I see Bradley Chubb as a very good risk. He’s one of the premier pass rushers in the NFL and he’s only 26 years old.

If you give me the option of having the 30th pick or Bradley Chubb at $22 million/per, I’m choosing Bradley Chubb 10 out of 10 times.

Yes. That was going to be my point. Trades like this dodge most of the bust risk, but you forfeit upside and plenty of cash.

At North Carolina State I viewed Chubb as a late first rounder who for whatever reason was hyped and rationalized into very high first round. Now we get him at true rate.

Next season the adjustments and excuses will be gone and he'll look very similar to this season. Perhaps slightly better. I agree with the range suggested from this summary by PFF: "Among edge defenders with at least 500 pass-rush snaps since 2018, Chubb’s 77.8 pass-rush grade and 15.2% pass-rush win rate rank 35th."

I think the biggest mistake was losing swagger on offense and settling for far too many standard play designs. When Tua is out there everything should be rapid paced with unabashed motion and play action followed by quick decisive darts over the middle, plus greater percentage of deep throws.

Otherwise I was really disgusted that we allowed the 50th anniversary to slide by without 1/10th as much emphasis as I expected. The front office further certified as wimps by wearing the classic jerseys only once. Why are we afraid to allow 1972 to define the franchise? Does anyone have any idea how special it is to own the single most famous accomplishment in the most popular American team sport? Other franchises would be shoving 17-0 from every angle and laughing at anyone so weak to whine about it.

I was against both Wilson and Edmunds signings, Chubb for a very late first doesn't seem that bad..Hill was outstanding, so was Mostert..

Wilson for a 5th, ehhh.

Terron Armstead ill take with his salary, we have a new very good center..Top 5 by most metrics...Def take that move.
Chubb for a late first AND a big contract. If it was just the first, and he was on a lower cost contract, it might be worth it. If we'd picked him up on free agency at the current contract, then maybe it's worth it. It's the combo that I strongly dislike. I only like doing that for truly game changing talent, and Chubb is not a game changing talent, he's a solid player at best.

Back
Top Bottom