Don Shula: A Football Life | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don Shula: A Football Life

DolphinPimp

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dont know if this is new, but it comes on NFL Network at 12pm eastern if anyone if interested

Not one of their better episodes, unfortunately. Too hagiographic -- in other words, too in praise of -- to be of much dramatic interest. Without a late title to cap things off -- like George Halas -- the whole third act of Shula's career, the Marino years, is best told as a cautionary tale. Why was this great man -- this man of stalwart defenses and punishing running attacks -- not able to harness the greatest passing talent the league has ever seen into a Super Bowl champion? Where did he go wrong, or did the game simply pass him by, as it did Chuck Noll, and Marino's ability kept him winning and therefore kept him employed? That's the story I wanted to see told.

I suppose no one wanted to make Shula a sailor and Marino into a mermaid, but isn't that the real story of his later years, and not 347? I wish NFL Films would have had the courage to go a bit deeper. As it is he's a legend, and that's fine. But to the general public he'll always be at arm's length. This coach who was perfect... and then a lot of other stuff happened.

Back
Top Bottom