Don Shula | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don Shula

nick1

I am Groot
Club Member
Reaction score
I think Don Shula should be Marino's replacement as vice president of football operations, think about it he lead Miami to three superbowls and won two of them and he was in charge of personnal, he obviously did a good job at it.

Not to nitpick, but didn't Shula get them to 5 Super Bowls?

didn't he draft Yateel Green and John Avery?:confused:
Does he even have any experience with salary cap issues? I say no.

Didn't he use to manage the cap too

Originally posted by dreadlockera
didn't he draft Yateel Green and John Avery?:confused:
Does he even have any experience with salary cap issues? I say no.

No Shula didn't draft Green or Avery, they came along for the ride during the J.J. experiment.

Shula led the Phins to 3 straight SBs from '71-''73 and won 2 of them; and then in the strike year of '82 lost to the Skins and Marino's bug year in 1984 and lost to the 9ers.

I feel he is too old and the goal of the position s/b to replace Eddie Jones w/a president that has extensive experience with NFL personnel so that he can tell Waye if the GM and/or coach needs to go

Originally posted by nick19991
I think Don Shula should be Marino's replacement as vice president of football operations, think about it he lead Miami to three superbowls and won two of them and he was in charge of personnal, he obviously did a good job at it.

Actually, Shula was not in charge of personnel for those early 70s SB teams. Joe Thomas was Miami's GM before Shula came to Miami, and he acquired a good majority of the players who would then play in 3 straight SBs. When Shula was hired, he kept Thomas on the payroll and kept him in charge of personnel. Thomas left after the '72 season and only then did Shula take full control over personnel.

So when did Bobby Beathard come into the picture? I'm pretty sure he was there in the early 70's.

Originally posted by ajdoggie
So when did Bobby Beathard come into the picture? I'm pretty sure he was there in the early 70's.

Beatherd came to Miami in '72 and was in charge of college scouting. He was then named Director of Player Personnel after Thomas left.

Back
Top Bottom