Don't be Surprised . . . | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't be Surprised . . .

Based on the Dolphins' FO and coaching decisions/verbiage leading up to and including the 2019 season, I think it's become pretty clear that system match for player selection comes first with this Dolphins organization. If we can assume the FO and coaching staff are working toward the same objectives; and I think we can, our free agent acquisitions and draft picks will be heavily influenced by system.

Things I think we can and should not expect going forward from the Dolphins organization:

* Don't expect best player available selections in the draft. For this organization, BPA will not automatically mean best player to fill a need, or best player for our team as a whole.
* Expect a lot of decisions that may skip over players that appear a better bet because they are more athletically talented, or statistically popular choices. Rather, expect the Dolphins to favor players who are team first and/or are highly coach-able. Only THEN will they consider their other abilities.
* While I do think Grier believes that a franchise caliber QB is very important, he will use his rolls of the dice carefully. Right after a proven team first and coach-able attitude, I think Grier, along with Flores, will demand a QB who has proven excellent leadership. Leadership is not always an easily quantifiable skill. So, I'm saying the guys who appear to be the most desirable by the media, or on most draft boards around the league, may not be the guy we select. In fact, we may be stunned by whom we draft, as well as where we make our QB selection(s) in the draft. It may possibly end up similar to the Giant's decision to take Daniel Jones, as they did. I'm not saying yet that was a good or bad decision. But, the Giant's FO certainly had their own thoughts, which were NOT conventional wisdom; and they had no problem rolling with them.

I'm interested in whether you think my premises are correct, given what we've seen so far? If you agree, how will they affect our team's choices going forward? :ponder:

What your describing here is a boring team with no difference-maker type players. I really hope your wrong, otherwise we're doomed again.

Playing guys like Ballage, McCain out of position plus some of his weekly oline moves makes me scratch my head some.
Regardless of all these issues I am Flores fan based on what appears on his ability to develop talent and his improved play calling.

I agree with your comments (especially on Ballage), but this attempt has worked with the likes of Eric Rowe and Nik Needham. It was questioned after pre-season and during the early parts of the season why they were on the roster/practice squad. We've now found two players (one has taken a position change), who should be here for the long term and contribute to this team.

I think this year has truly given Flores free reigns to see what he really has with the current players on this team and give them time to develop. Some players have answered the questions and earned a ticket for the long term, others have been given a chance and haven't taken it.

It's been a unique year, but the concrete has been laid and we have the resources to build a good team. Up to the people in the FO to make the right FA signings and use the draft capital to build a team now.

Our prior HC thought his system was more important than the players

They need to draft talent, there isn't many systems that don't require horsepower.

These nebulous, baked in excuses need to stop. We have a staff that looks like they are competent, now the front office needs to deliver talent. It's as simple as that.

Our prior HC thought his system was more important than the players

They need to draft talent, there isn't many systems that don't require horsepower.

These nebulous, baked in excuses need to stop. We have a staff that looks like they are competent, now the front office needs to deliver talent. It's as simple as that.
IMO, the "system" is every bit as important as the individual players. You need both to be a championship contender. The trick is (and this is where competent coaches come in) to adjust the system focus to emphasize player's strenths, and mask their deficiencies.

IMO, the "system" is every bit as important as the individual players. You need both to be a championship contender. The trick is (and this is where competent coaches come in) to adjust the system focus to emphasize player's strenths, and mask their deficiencies.

Correct. It shouldn't be THE system. It should be a system that will change when required

I don't care if you have Lewis Hamilton driving the car, if it's a honda crv there's only so much his capabilities as a driver can do for you.

Flores seems to be a very good coach, so good that he's masking just how deficient this team is in talent. Grier needs to deliver talent.

Correct. It shouldn't be THE system. It should be a system that will change when required

Yep. Ofc, they'll have a preferred system they'll aim for. However, a good staff should be flexible and able to roll with what they have. Ideal circumstances for a preferred system may not always exist. As well, ideal players may not always be available; within a reasonable cost or risk. Managing his team consistently well under different conditions was one of Shula's many strengths.

"Don Shula can take his'n and beat your'n," Bum Phillips, then the Houston Oilers coach, once said in his Texas twang. "Or he can take your'n and beat his'n."Nov 1, 1992.

Last edited:
You guys have kicked this around a great deal, but let me add one thing.
I worked at a hospital for 36 years and all of the General Managers there were not medical professionals; they were businessmen. They handled contracts and p.r. They settled disputes between departments... Yes, the had the 'final say', but this never implied that the final decision was one they actually endorsed.

Most G.M.s tend to work like this. ...and it may be that this is Grier's strength. Sorting through the various agendas and bringing in analysts that are better than himself.

Most people have been happy with Grier's trades and business moves, but want to shred him for the drafting.

True or not, he has brought in some powerful evaluators to help there.... and that sounds like the type of low-ego G.M. that we need.
And whether it's Grier's ego or a rockhard provision of Ross's deal with him to bring in seasoned front office people, I can see either as a valid possibility.

But whatever were the means, they justify the ends of having McKenzie and Allen's influence and input.

And whether it's Grier's ego or a rockhard provision of Ross's deal with him to bring in seasoned front office people, I can see either as a valid possibility.

But whatever were the means, they justify the ends of having McKenzie and Allen's influence and input.

I've said elsewhere, blaming Grier for draft picks is not quite on target. BUT, he had a say on who is in the room when the board is set. I'm quite interested in seeing how this draft unfolds. I won't judge on individual picks. I will look for reaches (don't want any), filling positions of need, and solid prospects.

I've said elsewhere, blaming Grier for draft picks is not quite on target. BUT, he had a say on who is in the room when the board is set. I'm quite interested in seeing how this draft unfolds. I won't judge on individual picks. I will look for reaches (don't want any), filling positions of need, and solid prospects.

This . . . :up:

Putting in my 2 cents....I thought Ross should have completely cleaned house. Clearly Mr. Ross has failed in selecting coaches. When Grier was promoted to GM in the presser with TBaum & Gase he said the disfunction stops now. It did not. Which to my led dissatisfaction with Grier getting full control.

Grier‘s coaching hire underwhelmed me. I saw the UTube video s of the Seattle/ Cowboy DB coach and wanted him. All off a 4 min you tube video. Fan what do I know... I did like the Reggie McKenzie hire and the guy from Buffalo. Leading up to the draft, all I wanted was one the the 3 Clemson dlineman. I thought is was going to be Feline but Mayock draft him early. Liked Grier‘s moves getting a QB Rosen and #1 in ’21.
Rosen is young & on his rookie deal. We need QBs!
We need to hit on some players plain and simple. When I say hit .... I say like Jarvis Landry hit. How is he in Cleveland ?
From what I saw in the opener to where we are today is night and day. I thought we were an expansion team and might not when a game. While it is early I think we found a coach. Also we have been good in the red zone, we are tackling well as a team. In addition to being the least penalized team in the league. I like what I see so far.
Maybe Mr. Ross got it right 3rd time around.

Back
Top Bottom