Don't fall in love with all the draft picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't fall in love with all the draft picks

jimthefin

Club Member
Reaction score
I, like many of you have been having fun using the Draft Simulators and have started to become possesive about the players we are landing in our many, many mock drafts.

Two things to think about:

1. The players we are able to get will probably be off the board when the actual picks come(I have been landing Becton and Chiasson regularly at 18 and 26 and both will likely be gone before 18, hell, I have been nabbing Delpit at 39!).

2. IF we really want Tua we are going to have to move up to 3 or 4 to get him, spending some of the picks we have been throwing around in our mocks.

The key to remember is one of the big reasons Miami gathered all these picks was to fins a Franchise QB.

If Tua is that guy then using 3 or 4 picks to get him is easily a bargain.Sure he is a gamble but assuming his medicals(on the hip)check out I think you have to be bold and pay the price to grab him.

I know some here don't want Tua at all but assuming you value him as a future Franchise guy the Fins need to come out of this Draft with him.

Otherwise, Herbert should be there at 5 without a move up and they could find a way to draft Love if they like him.

Or we wait until next year when Miami is less likely to be picking as high and would have to package even more assets to land Fields or Lawrence(or a Burrow type high riser).

Herbert at #5 would do very nicely.

Great points. Draft picks are to be used to best help the team, trade up, trade down, get more of the players you target and fit the system.

Run for cover! :lol:
I don't care, I'd take Herbert over a healthy Tua. Tua has a good arm, he's accurate and good on timing throws, but Herbert just has a more powerful arm and I'm comfortable with his accuracy- same reason I would have liked to get Josh Allen last year. It's like comparing a 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder car- Tua gets it there but it takes some extra effort and I don't know how that so-so arm strength translates to the NFL. The reality is that Tua has had for the most part dominating O-Lines and receivers at Bama- what happens next in the NFL? Herbert fits the arm/size profile and he played under a CRAPPY offensive system with lousy weapons to throw to. I like his upside, I like but am hesitant as per Tua (not even factoring in the injuries) and I'd take Herbert's physical tools and intelligence at #5 and be happy that I got him.

Grier has said that they didn't get all those picks just for one guy so to say we should use 4 picks to move up 2 spots is wrong. We need more than just a QB. Of course is not my call and Grier/Flores will do whatever they want to do but they better remember it takes more than just one player.

Hope you are right because I see this currently as the most likely scenario

I do as well but I could see the Chargers or maybe the Panthers making a move up to get Herbert. I'm willing to roll the bones on Herbert, most consider him one of the most talented, if not the most talented, players in the draft, he's smart as a whip and he didn't really have a chance to shine at Oregon last year for reasons given. My comp remains Josh Allen, and if you'd be happy with him as your franchise QB (as I would) I think that Herbert can be even better. Dude can sling it, he's 6-6 with mobility and by all accounts he's a really smart guy.

Back
Top Bottom