Don't know who Dan Marino was? THIS is who he was. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't know who Dan Marino was? THIS is who he was.

Digital

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
Many younger fans are very hyped for the Tua era, and for good reason. But just so they know what a stud young QB looks like, here is a clip providing a little perspective on what greatness looks like in its second season. Remember, this was before he broke the NFL All-Time records for Most TD's, Most Yardage, Most Passes Completed, etc., etc., etc. .... This was during his 2nd year in the league, and he was already the NFL's best. It's also funny to hear old sportscasters talking about the "modern era", so there's a bit of comedy in here too, heh.

I also encourage posters to leave their memories of Marino, and any clips they find relevant. Remember, the goal is to help the younger fans understand Marino (Isotoner's, Zubaz, and all).

Digital, thanks for sharing that montage. Absolutely the best time QB ever to play the game. IF he played today, it would be criminal what he would do to defenses.

You shook a memory for me. Anyone remember the Marino corps T shirts? I remember living in Syracuse and wearing it all the time.
PHINS UP!

The simplest way to put it for me, is that you never felt like the Dolphins were out of any game when Marino was under center. Even when they were down to the Jags 41-7 at halftime of the 99 playoff game I was still figuring out ways that he could come back for the win. That's what it was like to watch him every week for 17 seasons.

He was so great. He really was. He didn’t care about the pass rush. It was just a mild nuisance to him. Always looking downfield w the ball ready to fly. Moving in the pocket in a way that drove D linemen insane and then whap - the ball was gone and a strike. When asked to produce the GW drive he came through far more often than not. That’s the mark of w winner.

What I noticed from that 26 minute clip; first was that the majority of those receivers were well covered. Didn't matter. 2nd thing is that I heard "flag down" at the start of a lot of those plays. The defense knew they needed a head start and Dan had a knack for drawing them offsides.

Back
Top Bottom