Don't know who Dan Marino was? THIS is who he was. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't know who Dan Marino was? THIS is who he was.

I might be confusing the 1994 opener vs New England with that Jets play. Funny thing, memory.

That's the Irving Fryar play I was thinking about too. It'd be nice if we could find the Mad Dog radio broadcast of that one. It was a 4th down play.

I think the Duper play is at time stamp 3:12:00 , but there's a nice Clayton play just before that if you're interested.

I had it time stamped correctly, IDK why it's not working now. But it was.

One of my favorite plays ever by Marino. That and the fake spike.

There is also another play that has always stuck in my mind and forgive me if I can't recall the specifics but here's what I got:

At Buffalo, freezing rain/sleet, 30ish mph winds, 3rd and 13ish. Miserable conditions and I think Miami is losing. Marino throws a perfect over the shoulder pass to the receiver running down the left sideline that allows the drive to continue. That's the type of perfect execution I had become accustomed to on a routine basis. Just outstanding.
If it’s the same play I’m thinking it was in the 1990 playoff game at Buffalo and it was 4th and short. Miami has been down 20-3 or 20-0 and had clawed back into the game and were now down by I think 10. Time was running out in the first half and they didn’t want to settle for a long FG attempt in those conditions. You think they are going to try to pick up the first and make it a more manageable FG try. Instead Dan launches a bomb to a double covered Duper down the left sideline over the corner and under the safety coming across - it’s hauled in at about the 1 or 2 and we get a TD instead of a FG out of the drive. I remember thinking “WTF” when I saw the bomb launch. Just like I did on the Fryar play. Lol ?

If it’s the same play I’m thinking it was in the 1990 playoff game at Buffalo and it was 4th and short. Miami has been down 20-3 or 20-0 and had clawed back into the game and were now down by I think 10. Time was running out in the first half and they didn’t want to settle for a long FG attempt in those conditions. You think they are going to try to pick up the first and make it a more manageable FG try. Instead Dan launches a bomb to a double covered Duper down the left sideline over the corner and under the safety coming across - it’s hauled in at about the 1 or 2 and we get a TD instead of a FG out of the drive. I remember thinking “WTF” when I saw the bomb launch. Just like I did on the Fryar play. Lol ?
I spent a bit of time yesterday looking for the play on the yootoobz. I think you might be onto something here. If only I felt like going through my old VHS tapes! :ponder:

That Marino to Duper play in the Orange Bowl in 1985 is all kinds of amazing— the season was hanging by a thread. The Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins were all in the division race and a loss to the NYJ here would have been curtains, I think.

Dolphins are nursing a 14-10 lead very late in the 4th, but the less than stellar 1985 defense lets the Green Goons drive down the field and score a touchdown with less than 90 seconds remaining. Marino takes the field and runs the hurry up, hoping to get the team into field goal range and send it to overtime. Then boom—bomb to Duper, beat NY by 3, win every other game that regular season to win the division, and keep the momentum going until the AFC championship.

And props to Duper in that game too: 8 receptions for 217 yards and 2 long touchdowns.

Last edited:
It’s all Dan’s fault that y’all have had to put up with me for all these years.

If not for him, I’d have never become a Dolphins fan in the first place. So next time you get infracted by yours truly, curse Dan’s name. :lol:

I spent a bit of time yesterday looking for the play on the yootoobz. I think you might be onto something here. If only I felt like going through my old VHS tapes! :ponder:
I think that play is in the 26 minute video post of “Dimes” thrown by Dan. I’ll try to find the minute mark

1:11:00 mark for this particular play. 4th and 5, Marino just called a time out and Buffalo has been killing Miami. Very physical game and there would be flags everywhere were it to be called today.

In any case, yet another remarkable play by Marino yet I'm not even sure it's the one I was actually thinking of! Ahh, the memories. Or what's left of them :wacky

1:11:00 mark for this particular play. 4th and 5, Marino just called a time out and Buffalo has been killing Miami. Very physical game and there would be flags everywhere were it to be called today.

In any case, yet another remarkable play by Marino yet I'm not even sure it's the one I was actually thinking of! Ahh, the memories. Or what's left of them :wacky

We came back in that game - it’s also the one where Dan ran the bootleg for the TD and we also threw a TD to guard Roy Foster. Turned into a shootout. Late in the game after a Buff score, we fumbled the ensuing KO and they went up by two scores and kinda put it out of reach. 44-34 wild one. They were a lot better than us but we had Dan. The other thing that stuck out to me at the time was how as much as I loved him, Offerdahl always seemed to be hurt at the worst possible times. He played the week prior against the Chiefs all the way until the end of the game but couldn’t go BA buffalo. There was a play in the game where a deflected ball over the middle was dropped by his replacement - Mike Reichenbach - and should have been a pick. Stuff like that didn’t help in these battles where we had to play near flawless games vs a better opponent.

I remember the first time I saw Marino in that Monday night game against the Raiders. At that point, we had lived through the WoodStrock years and quarterback was seemingly the missing link for a championship. Marino's play made me sit up in my seat in awe. The quickness of his release, the accuracy, his quick feet in avoiding the rush. I honestly thought the Dolphins were heading for another dynasty.

The closest thing the NFL has seen to perfection since the lone residents of Perfectville--the 1972 Miami Dolphins--was the 1985 Chicago Bears, who won the Super Bowl and only lost one game all year ... to Dan Marino and the Miami Dolphins. By far the best defense in football that year, they simply couldn't hang with Marino. Yeah, 3 Hall of Famers on that defense, led by Mike Singletary, but we dominated. Singletary likes to bemoan the one play in the second half where Dan had a ball deflected by the arm of a DL onto a helmet and popped way up in the air, we caught it. That was a fluke play, true. But that happened in the second half, and the Dolphins were up 31-10 by halftime! That fluke play was a drive we were clearly going to score on again, but that merely upped us from 31 to 38 points ... the damage was already done!

Marino was simply too quick of vision+mind+release for the Bears pass rush to stop him. Marino was simply too accurate for the Bears DB's to shut anyone down. The Buddy Ryan defense--predicated on overload blitzes that are commonly used today--had no answer for Marino. He shredded them, consistently.

The Bears were the best team in the NFL in 1985, and a truly great team. But a healthy Dan Marino meant that they never stood a chance against us. If we hadn't been upset by the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship game, the Dolphins would have faced and likely beaten the Bears, and Marino would have a Super Bowl ring. In 1985, we kicked the Bears' azzez.

I can't embed the video because it's from NFL.com, but here is a link:

Short NFL.com Video of Dolphins vs. Bears 1985

Last edited:
The closest thing the NFL has seen to perfection since the lone residents of Perfectville--the 1972 Miami Dolphins--was the 1985 Chicago Bears, who won the Super Bowl and only lost one game all year ... to Dan Marino and the Miami Dolphins. By far the best defense in football that year, they simply couldn't hang with Marino. Yeah, 3 Hall of Famers on that defense, led by Mike Singletary, but we dominated. Singletary likes to bemoan the one play in the second half where Dan had a ball deflected by the arm of a DL onto a helmet and popped way up in the air, we caught it. That was a fluke play, true. But that happened in the second half, and the Dolphins were up 31-10 by halftime! That fluke play was a drive we were clearly going to score on again, but that merely upped us from 31 to 38 points ... the damage was already done!

Marino was simply too quick of vision+mind+release for the Bears pass rush to stop him. Marino was simply too accurate for the Bears DB's to shut anyone down. The Buddy Ryan defense--predicated on overload blitzes that are commonly used today--had no answer for Marino. He shredded them, consistently.

The Bears were the best team in the NFL in 1985, and a truly great team. But a healthy Dan Marino meant that they never stood a chance against us. If we hadn't been upset by the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship game, the Dolphins would have faced and likely beaten the Bears, and Marino would have a Super Bowl ring. In 1985, we kicked the Bears' azzez.

I can't embed the video because it's from NFL.com, but here is a link:

Short NFL.com Video of Dolphins vs. Bears 1985
All about matchups. Allie Sherman on the show Monday Night Matchup just prior to the game not only called the outcome, he explained “how” Miami would win - by consistently beating the rush w quick throws to the flats and letting out quicker WRs make moves on what he considered a weakness in the Bears defense - their CBs were slow. It was prophetic.

Back
Top Bottom