Don’t rush to buy a Miami Dolphins Jarvis Landry jersey just yet

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tiko377, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

So did you hear Gase or Grier or Tannenbaum say anything remotely akin to “We definitely want Jarvis Landry back”?

I didn’t.

Last season when Kenny Stills, one of Gase’s favorite players, hit free agency, everything the team said was about wanting Stills back while adding that the price point would determine the decision.

And that’s a notable difference between Stills and Landry as far as the Dolphins are concerned. Because Miami coaches believe that Stills works on his craft and is a detail-oriented professional who does things as the team wants it done as often as possible.

Landry?

The internal thinking is that he’s a gifted player who sometimes tries to do things as coaches want. And sometimes doesn’t.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article192827284.html#storylink=cpy

J. David Wannyheimer likes this.
  2. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

My read on the situation is that the Dolphins told Landry he needed to settle down and run plays the way they're drawn up, and stop letting his temper get the best of him. And for a while he seemed like he had it under control, but then weeks 16 and 17 happened.

I don't think it was just the fight. He displayed some nasty extracurricular behavior against the Chiefs, too.

phins_4_ever and Albert Romano like this.
  3. Brad528

Brad528 Pro Bowler

He plays with heart and passion if everyone else did we wouldn't suck. I'd take a whole team of Landry's. He isn't out there to make friends it's football a violent sport half these fans think he is supposed to act like it's a tea party

4. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

There are lots of players that play with fire and passion...some though (Landry and Ramsey come to mind) where the passion starts to hurt the team.

retarmyfinfan2, dolpns13 and fin415 like this.
  5. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

His behavior kind of confirmed the front offices view of him IMHO. Let him walk and take the 3rd round comp pick

6. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

Some teams have the privilege to let go of star players who have minor issues. We are not one of those teams. This board highly underestimates how important Jarvis is to this team, low YPC and penalties or not.

*Demi*God* likes this.
  7. Ren

Ren Rookie

Then you would have a whole lot more 15 yd penalties

And the article had this to say...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  8. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

At this point it may just be a little posturing for negotiating the contract. I believe there is a price they are willing to pay. However, they could try to broker a deal on draft day.

9. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

He’ll be long gone by then.

10. hoops

hoops exited stage left Hammered

i'm pretty sure that gase didn't say he wanted stills back at the same press conference last year but at the pre combine presser just before free agency

11. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Not a big fan of his to begin with so his Jersey ?....nope...his play is replaceable (stats)....his passion is borderline destructive and his mistakes due to his behavior are disgraceful and hurt the team...if we can get anything for his departure I am all in....maybe his lack of maturity will ease off before his value (stats) decrease...but he would serve himself AND our team somewhere else with a team that has more stability than we do....

If he was our only issue as a team maybe his temperament could be somewhat curbed or better channeled....but we have a ways to go and his lack of development (maturity) is too much maintenance for a team that is (or needs to be) focused on building a competitor and building consistency....I would not count on Landry as a building block....maybe a missing piece

12. hoops

when will mando retract that whole thing about the dolphins see tannehills knee as 2 separate injuries? guess we don't get that...cause gase pretty much countered that with this last presser as not being the case...

mando is good for some things bad for others...like that fire everyone on the staff and change up personnel cause the qb sucks

13. darefugee

darefugee FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I keep reading this "he plays with heart and passion" business, like it's supposed to excuse his behavior. Well, Barry Sanders.

Phantom and DolfanDuBbZ~ like this.
  14. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

No just act like a freaking professional. But hey you people in the Looney bin will cheer anything on it seems

15. J. David Wannyheimer

I think to someone just looking at it casually, it's easy to say "two knee injuries." Fine, whatever.

But from what was reported ("no additional damage") the only way I can read that is "They discovered that the knee wasn't stable after rehab and he just needed to bite the bullet and get the reconstruction."

That's not quite the same thing.

16. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I really soured on Landry after what I saw the last 2 weeks of the season. Just when the news broke of contract talks, he goes off on a hissy fit. No class. I love his passion and determination, but man, he’s a loose cannon. That was embarrassing to watch, seeing what transpired during the Bills game. I’d understand if they let him walk.

Awsi Dooger likes this.
  17. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

One of my all-time favorite players. Let his play speak for itself while being on crappy teams. But sadly, today's Miami fan seems to be in for the thrill and not the end result.

18. hoops

listen to gase talk about it in that last presser nothing he says even remotely indicates another injury

he makes it sound like they took advise on the rehab route and it went wrong

**** happens

now that he's surgically repaired he tears it again that's when outlook mindsets will change

rickd13, fin415 and TheJetsBlow like this.
  19. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

We might franchise tag & trade him for a 2nd rounder imo.

seems like they are kind of questioning his work ethic & attitude if he were to get paid imo.

20. J. David Wannyheimer

I'm pretty sure that the CBA strongly frowns upon franchise tagging a player for the sole purpose of trading him. It's basically the kind of situation where the player has to be OK with it.

The time to trade him was during the season.

21. Tiko377

Tiko377 A True Fan

you might be right but i still remember how John Abraham got traded to the Falcons after he got his Franchise Tag.

Dolphins can franchise him & say they tried to resign him long term & it did not happen so now he's being traded.

22. hoops

yeah if you aren't keeping him you should have traded him at the deadline

don't look past this could all be just posturing...

23. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I appreciate that Armando doesn't devote every column to his own desperate biases. That type of thing stands out.

Adam Strange likes this.
  24. hoops

yeah I know...tape guy stuff doesn't fly in your gambling circle yada yada yada

25. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

There is nothing wrong with tagging a player with the intent of trading him. It's the smart thing to do. No one frowns on that.

Whether it's even financially possible to tag him is a more pertinent query.

26. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

I think this is how it all ends up as well...

27. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

The Dolphins will re-sign Landy and look to move Kenny Stills.

The west coast kid will have a lot of suitors much closer to his San Diego home town.

Go right up the coast until you hit Seattle, every one of those teams, Chargers, Rams, Niners, Raiders and Seahawks could use Kenny Stills. All those teams have their franchise QB and even though Rivers might have 1 season left you know they need to go all out.

With Jakeem Grant looking like Tyreek Hill every so often we need to explore that more. I've appreciated what Stills has brought, if we can make the $$ work on a trade and clear what we can now, it needs to happen.

Expected compensation, swapping a 4th for a 3rd seems fair, depending on the team/slotting.

Edit: I edited this post to correct the spelling of Tyreek Hill's name from Tyreke.....It looks stupid either way you spell it.

hoops likes this.
  28. hoops

I'm down with this...it's the one guy we might actually be selling up on

29. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Every NFL team wants aggressive players, and no doubt landry will be sought after if we let him go, but controlled aggression is what coaches are looking for. Going off half crazy when you make a big play or just plain psycho when you score a touchdown is not it. He just needs to tone it down and play with that fire that we all love and he will be fine. Would it be smart for the Dolphins to let him walk?....no.

30. volk

volk Seasoned Veteran

I’m not defending Laundry’s penalties or behavior (although I think it would be a mistake to let him go), but what are his total penalty yards compared with Pouncey, whom the coaches said had his best year? How about Tunsil’s?

31. lurking

lurking FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

That's not heart and passion, it's stupidity.

NBP81 likes this.
  32. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

Landry hurt his chances for top 5 money by acting like an asshat those last two games.

That said, I want him back. He’s still very young and is our best player w the ball in his hands.

33. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

Some of you crack me up wanting our best player gone starting a fight. This is football. Not a golf game... Yall ridiculous.. Landry will be a Dolphin next year. Book it

34. J. David Wannyheimer

I don't know, it feels like they're headed for a divorce here.

I could be wrong.

35. AllFinsAllDay

AllFinsAllDay A True Fan

You do realize that he was only ejected for saying something to the official. Drake was the one who chucked the helmet and that was because he was being choked by the guy on the other team.

1 dol fan likes this.
  36. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

Just about every other time Laundry gets hit, he gets up acting like a fool. He is a good player, but he needs to grow up. I don't see it happening. He is as bad as his buddy in NY, who acts like a complete jackass also.

37. tcdrover

tcdrover Pro Bowler

Fighting is part of football, it is much LESS a part of football today than it used to be.

Running the WRONG routes and not knowing the correct plays and having to be told where to line up is a MUCH bigger problem.

The WHOLE team lacks what they call, 'situational awareness' which reflects on the coaching staff.

They don't need an expensive slot WR along with a super expensive DT.

The plays that he is used on can be run by plenty of other guys.

Look at what the Patriots have done with that position.

38. FINOMINAL

FINOMINAL Scout Team

He’s stupid. There’s no way around that simple obvious fact. He makes great plays, but he’s just moving the chains. Nothing players aren’t expected to do. And then the very stupid things players are not supposed to do. He’s better than Davon Bess, but not really by that much.

39. K-Rob

K-Rob #1 Fin Cheerleader - Chiquita Lady Lumps Finheaven VIP Donator

All this talk about moving Landry seems crazy to me. Want to know the real reason he was acting like that? Because it was a losing season and an overall disappointing one. It wasn’t until we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs that he stared acting out. It doesn’t excuse his behavior but if the team was winning, do you think it all still plays out the same?

Remember early in the year when we were, what, 4-2...he was the one GETTING us 15 yards, not causing them. That kind of passion is a double edged sword and if the team is clicking on all cylinders, there’s no value you can put on it.

It seems to me that Parker is the one that needs to get shopped. Someone earlier stated that all Landry does is move the chains. Well yeah, of course! That’s what he’s built for! And he’s doing it better than just about anyone in the league! The reason that’s all he’s doing, though, is becaue Parker has yet to pull his own weight and stretch the field the way HE is built for. Imagine what Landry can bring the team when he’s not the defense’s biggest worry.

Keep him, find a way to win, and let natural maturity take its course. Even the roudiest of players eventually settle down and they learn to control their emotions. The best way to see what we have in Landry is imagining him wearing another jersey and helping that team. How many times, as a Fins fan, have we seen former Dolphin lighting it up and thinking “we let another one go”. Hell, remember Reshard Mathews? What’s he up to these days? Not much, just leading his team in receptions and in the divisional round of the playoffs.

40. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Not only kept him, apparantely he wasn't on the trade block period (Certainly compensation can make him available in a hurry).

A ton of posturing going on, nobody should taking anything out of these pressers as far as "roster management" goes.

I think if the Dolphins took a "most popular player" poll . . . Jarvis wins and rather easily at that. 2 million AAV (say 12 to 14 million) won't keep this deal from happening. Ross knows Jarvis is marketable and has been a real solid community guy. Gase knows how much Jarvis means to the offense and Ryan Tannehill in general . . . .this deal gets done.

I still think Parker could be the guy that they look to seek offers on. Certainly the offense's highest potential would have him on the team but I am not certain how good that relationship is with him and Gase. Miami will certainly test the water here to at least check the temperature.