• Stay at 5

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Trade Down

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

King Gidorah

Active Roster
Reaction score
We have way too many holes to fill. Don’t get caught up in a QB frenzy and give away any draft picks.
This is actually a great opportunity to let the top picks fall to us. If the Lions trade down with another team then we should take Jeff Okudah which would help us and is a player the Lions may really want. Stay at 5 and we will get a top rated talent: QB Tua, CB Okudah, or LB Simmons. This is my hope at least. Go Dolphins!

I think the team should use the picks in the best possible way to help the team and hopefully build a long-term winner.

If that means you've got to trade up for someone like Tua, I'm fine with that. I would rather stand pat and get him at #5, but that may not happen.

I don't think the team will take a major step forward without a quarterback of the future. So spending extra picks for a quarterback may be a necessary evil.

I could see a scenario where Miami stays at #5 and misses both Tua and Herbert. I would think the Chargers or Raiders, or both, could move up.

That’s impossible to answer without knowing who we’re trade up with and what the cost would be.

I think people need to accept that we’re going to do what it takes to get Tua, or far less likely Burrow. “We didn’t trade away Tunsil and Minkah just to waste those picks moving up”? Of course we ****ing did, if we don’t need to then that’s a bonus but the #1 goal this offseason is to draft a franchise QB. That would have been in the mind of the front office when assessing those trades.

That’s impossible to answer without knowing who we’re trade up with and what the cost would be.

I think people need to accept that we’re going to do what it takes to get Tua, or far less likely Burrow. “We didn’t trade away Tunsil and Minkah just to waste those picks moving up”? Of course we (Your mom likes these words. Not sorry)ing did, if we don’t need to then that’s a bonus but the #1 goal this offseason is to draft a franchise QB. That would have been in the mind of the front office when assessing those trades.
Like you said, the main thing is we don't know what the cost would be. For anyone to say they would move up for Tua is one thing. To say they want to move up for Tua no matter what makes no sense. A trade has to make sense for both teams. We can speculate which is fine but we need to know what the cost is first before we can say if that's a good trade or not.

Like you said, the main thing is we don't know what the cost would be. For anyone to say they would move up for Tua is one thing. To say they want to move up for Tua no matter what makes no sense. A trade has to make sense for both teams. We can speculate which is fine but we need to know what the cost is first before we can say if that's a good trade or not.

There will be a need to move up...that s the cost of winning games

The price will be high because the move up is for a QB that is liked by a lot of people.

When people say "whatever it takes" they obviously mean within the context of moving up to 2 and what it could cost. All there first this year and 1 next year...I'd still do it. One it doesn't sacrifice the future of the franchise as we will still have all the "regular picks" only giving up the extra we got for Tunsil and Minkah. Two, we still have a ton of extra picks, granted they are not those late firsts anymore, but we saw this staff get competent play out of dudes undrafted, I would expect them to get above-average play out of draftable players, even if those players are mid-round picks. Three, QB is easily worth 4 players, an unknown QB is easily worth 4 unknown players we could draft.

I understand the desire to keep as many picks as possible, and I don't disagree, but as I have argued before, a late first position player is going to do little to move this forward if the QB position is "settled" by a guy we kinda like.

Teams that go on to compete and have the chance to experience greatness, are the ones who make bold moves...having the front office play to win, instead of playing not to lose would be a nice change.

Agree. I'm in the camp, even for Tua, don't move up by giving up very much, and would prefer stand pat. I'm ABSOLUTELY against trading up 'whatever it takes.'

Given that, trade up scenarios are fraught with complexity. Fans don't know what competition will be for, say, #3. Fans don't know who Grier/Flo want. Fans don't know what FA will bring. All we know for sure is some have an obsession with a particular player and want that player more than their next breath. Sadly, they extrapolate that to 'if Miami doesn't draft MY favorite, they're idiots.'

For fans, we won't know what the price is for any move up until after the fact. That is, 'Miami moved up to #3' and THEN we find out the price. We're not privy to other offers or, if Miami is outbid, what Miami offered. Finally, we'll have to suffer through most of the '20 season, when the 'facts' are in and read the geniuses with perfect hindsight telling us Miami SHOULD have . . .

There will be a need to move up...that s the cost of winning games

The price will be high because the move up is for a QB that is liked by a lot of people.

When people say "whatever it takes" they obviously mean within the context of moving up to 2 and what it could cost. All there first this year and 1 next year...I'd still do it. One it doesn't sacrifice the future of the franchise as we will still have all the "regular picks" only giving up the extra we got for Tunsil and Minkah. Two, we still have a ton of extra picks, granted they are not those late firsts anymore, but we saw this staff get competent play out of dudes undrafted, I would expect them to get above-average play out of draftable players, even if those players are mid-round picks. Three, QB is easily worth 4 players, an unknown QB is easily worth 4 unknown players we could draft.

I understand the desire to keep as many picks as possible, and I don't disagree, but as I have argued before, a late first position player is going to do little to move this forward if the QB position is "settled" by a guy we kinda like.

Teams that go on to compete and have the chance to experience greatness, are the ones who make bold moves...having the front office play to win, instead of playing not to lose would be a nice change.
Ok fair enough. Like I said before, we don't know for sure what the cost would be and we're not going to know till we make the trade if we make the trade. If we do move up then I'll be as fair as I can be as to weather the trade was good or bad in MY opinion and yes, I know my opinion doesn't really matter because Grier is not going to ask me for it. Once again, I'd like us to draft Tua, I just don't want us to get screw by another team in the process.

Qb rules all and will continue to rule all as long as the rules stay the way they are. In today's NFL you HAVE to get the QB first then every decision and player acquired via FA or the draft afterward goes towards team building. Trying to build a roster first then add a QB is a really tough proposition, Kansas City didnt build their roster first their roster is good not great. They happen to have the best QB on the planet who makes up for a lot. Baltimore did do this but nobody saw Jackson making that jump or having THIS level of success. The more common case in this scenario is the Vikings, best roster top to bottom and will win 10-12 games no matter who is at QB but cannot get past the division round year after year because QB play is MEH for them when it matters most. And since they win 10-12 games every year they will never be in a position to take an elite talent guy, they have to hope they take an Eason or Fromm in the late first and they turn into something. Which could work but still is a much more challenging spot, relying on a 2nd tier QB prospect to develop into an elite NFL guy is not super common.

I still dont think the cost will be as high as some think, partly because Miami is bidding against themselves due to simply having more resources than anyone and partly because most teams are really not in a spot to mortgage their future by giving away a 1st and 2nd this year and a 1st next year. That's no 1st round pick until 2022, your roster better be young and you better have a ton of cap space to weather that storm. And by then your QB will be going into year 3 of a rookie deal so payday would be coming and even more pressure to nail every draft pick to keep the team competitive.

IMO at this time 2/14/2020 I think it will take #5, 39 to get up to #3 and worst case will take #5,18 to get up to Washington maybe #70 as well but I am okay parting with that especially since James could net Miami a comp 3rd. Even with the trade to the Redskins that leaves Miami with #2,26, 39, 56 comp 3rd in the first 2 days. Lots of holes can still be filled, and IMO the resources and cards dealt would have been played perfectly.

We have way too many holes to fill. Don’t get caught up in a QB frenzy and give away any draft picks.
This is actually a great opportunity to let the top picks fall to us. If the Lions trade down with another team then we should take Jeff Okudah which would help us and is a player the Lions may really want. Stay at 5 and we will get a top rated talent: QB Tua, CB Okudah, or LB Simmons. This is my hope at least. Go Dolphins!

None of those players will mean squat if we don’t have a QB. Tua will not be available at 5. We’re already hearing rumblings about Chicago and San Diego exploring trade up options. If we want Tua, we have to go up and get him.

My philosophy is almost always to trade DOWN to get more picks.

But I make an exception at QB. IF you can get a Franchise QB it is almost impossible to overpay.

The importance of an outstanding QB can't be overstated.

Now if you want to argue about if Tua is a franchise QB that is fine, but in terms of a drafting strategy, ask KC if it was worth it to trade multiple picks for Mahomes.

None of those players will mean squat if we don’t have a QB

Lots of people say the same thing as you. But it‘s simply not true.

You‘re well aware of NFL history. There have been many teams that won a SB that didn’t have a top level QB. Conversely there have been many teams with a top level QB that never won a SB. Hello Jim Kelly. Hello Warren Moon. Hello Dan Fouts. Hello our very own Dan Marino. Some of them never even reached a SB.

While having a top level QB is typically a shortcut to winning and can mask deficiencies, it‘s not a necessity. And it certainly doesn’t make other players on the team in what’s considered the ultimate team sport ‘mean squat’.

The 49ers just came within a few plays of winning a SB. The Titans came within a few plays of beating the team that just won the SB and appearing in it themselves. And neither team had Aaron Rodgers or Ben Roethlisberger or Drew Brees or Russell Wilson or Patrick Mahomes. Because they had a team where the other players actually ‘mean squat’.

Some might argue that the QB the Dolphins have now, while old and flawed, is more capable of throwing a team on his back at the end of a game than Jimmy Garoppolo or Ryan Tannehill. Yet the 49ers and Titans nearly won with those dudes. And might still next season or sometime after that.

While a QB for the future is something the Dolphins certainly need, it doesn’t have to happen at #5. Or even this upcoming draft. And other positions and players do matter. A lot.

If the Dolphins get enough really good non-QB players, it increases the chances of winning with a lesser QB.

While most, if not all, would love to have the next Dan Marino, we of all fans have seen that the players surrounding that QB, no matter how great, really do matter. Because we’ve seen many teams with QB’s less capable than Dan Marino enjoy more team success.

I’m interested in seeing the Dolphins build the best team. If a top level QB comes from it similar to how Seattle got Wilson and NE got Brady — great.

We traded two good young players for picks...and then going to trade those picks? Horrible idea.

None of those players will mean squat if we don’t have a QB. Tua will not be available at 5. We’re already hearing rumblings about Chicago and San Diego exploring trade up options. If we want Tua, we have to go up and get him.
I think Chicago grabs a vet QB in FA. For some reason I feel SD is on the Herbert train not tua. I believe most of the teams we are concerned with won't be an issue after FA.

Back
Top Bottom