Dontrelle Willis throws 3 hit shutout (his 4th), his 5th complete game | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dontrelle Willis throws 3 hit shutout (his 4th), his 5th complete game

TerryTate

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
And lowers his era down to 1.84

13-3 on the year

Please Tony LaRussa pick D-train to start!

LaRussa: We'll think about it during the week.

I guess it wont be decided until later in the week, which is kinda good since he hasn't made his decision before D-Train threw his latest complete game shut-out.

For the love of god dont start Clemens. I know he's unreal this season with his 1.41 ERA, but after the last all-star game where I dont think he even got out of the first inning, I dont want him to start. Piazza is behind the plate again (what a joke), and I dont want to see Clemens-Piazza because that's a disaster again.

When is Piazza going to go to the American League? I could steal on him-second or third.
DTrain or Clemens, thats a tough call. Clemens is a HallofFamer having one of his best seasons, that might outweigh anything else.

finfansince72 said:
When is Piazza going to go to the American League? I could steal on him-second or third.
DTrain or Clemens, thats a tough call. Clemens is a HallofFamer having one of his best seasons, that might outweigh anything else.

He also has won 6 fewer games, thrown 10 fewer innings, given up 10 more walks, and blown one more All Star Game for the NL. D-Train has been the Marlins' best player all season and has by far been the best pitcher in the National League all season when you look at more than just ERA.

They pick the starter not based on stats or who deserves it. Rather based on what the teams managers want (ie McKeon in this case) and based on when his last start prior to the all star game is.

The starter MUST go 2 innings at least. If McKeon only wants Willis going 1 inning, then odds are Willis won't start.

It's a stupid exhibition anyway, who cares who starts the game and so on.

MikeO said:
They pick the starter not based on stats or who deserves it. Rather based on what the teams managers want (ie McKeon in this case) and based on when his last start prior to the all star game is.

The starter MUST go 2 innings at least. If McKeon only wants Willis going 1 inning, then odds are Willis won't start.

It's a stupid exhibition anyway, who cares who starts the game and so on.

The winning league in the all-star game gets home field for the World series...so it does matter.

RWhitney014 said:
He also has won 6 fewer games, thrown 10 fewer innings, given up 10 more walks, and blown one more All Star Game for the NL. D-Train has been the Marlins' best player all season and has by far been the best pitcher in the National League all season when you look at more than just ERA.

Clemens also gets the worst run support in the majors. If he had a lineup that produced this wouldnt be an issue, he has pitched as good as anyone. I luv Dontrel, but with Clemens history and the season he is having its a good bet that he starts. He did have a bad game in the last allstar game but what does that mean?

finfansince72 said:
Clemens also gets the worst run support in the majors. If he had a lineup that produced this wouldnt be an issue, he has pitched as good as anyone. I luv Dontrel, but with Clemens history and the season he is having its a good bet that he starts. He did have a bad game in the last allstar game but what does that mean?

It means give someone else a shot. Clemens is having a great year, no doubt, but he has done nothing better than Willis except his ERA, which is only .4 lower than Dontrelle's. Dontrelle is 13-3. The game is about winning, and it's a team game. Clemens rarely, if ever, goes more than 7 innings in a game and doesn't join his team in any road cities in which he's not pitching. Dontrelle's shortest outing this year was a 5 inning complete game shutout that got rained out in Philadelphia. Every time the Marlins have needed a win in their losing streaks, Willis has been the stopper. I don't know what else a guy can do to merit starting the All Star Game.

RWhitney014 said:
It means give someone else a shot. Clemens is having a great year, no doubt, but he has done nothing better than Willis except his ERA, which is only .4 lower than Dontrelle's. Dontrelle is 13-3. The game is about winning, and it's a team game. Clemens rarely, if ever, goes more than 7 innings in a game and doesn't join his team in any road cities in which he's not pitching. Dontrelle's shortest outing this year was a 5 inning complete game shutout that got rained out in Philadelphia. Every time the Marlins have needed a win in their losing streaks, Willis has been the stopper. I don't know what else a guy can do to merit starting the All Star Game.

You could have a 20+year HOF career and still be one of the top 2 or 3 pitchers in the game at age 40 or so. I love Dontrell, Id like to see him start but I can't argue with Clemens either.

Section126 said:
The winning league in the all-star game gets home field for the World series...so it does matter.

and home field advantage in baseball has meant nothing unless you are the Minnesota Twins.

For years home field for the world series was just alternated back and forth and nobody complained.

It's still a pointless exhibition game at the end of the day.

Dontrelle should start but Clemens has had to pitch with a shorter leash this season because his team gets him no run support. I'm sure Dontrelle has had a couple of games where he could just go out and throw because his offense has stepped up where as Clemens has rarely had any run support this season. Dontrelle deserves to start but Clemens has had to work with more on his plate then Dontrelle IMO!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
Dontrelle should start but Clemens has had to pitch with a shorter leash this season because his team gets him no run support. I'm sure Dontrelle has had a couple of games where he could just go out and throw because his offense has stepped up where as Clemens has rarely had any run support this season. Dontrelle deserves to start but Clemens has had to work with more on his plate then Dontrelle IMO!

Clemens doesnt have to pitch on the road...that kinda is a big deal.
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom