Dowell Loggains is new OC

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RocKStaR, Jan 3, 2018.

1. jazz015

jazz015 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

there are some sentiments around the league that Fangio is a very challenging personality for some head coaches. I browsed through some twitter accounts and he seems to come off as a guy who wants to co-head coach

Vaark likes this.
  2. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Building straw men to carry water for a failed former coach. Amazing. This is truly a wonderland of metaphoric bliss.

Liphinphan and Ray R like this.
  3. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Another failed yes man for Coach Turtle

elite14eva likes this.
  4. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

I LOVE the thinking on this board. It's almost as if you're implying all the best OCs in the game are just dying to make a LATERAL MOVE and bring their talents to South Beach. Hahaha!

5. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

Is there a Rooney rule for coordinators or just head coaches?

6. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

This OC will be the new excuse Tannehill sucks

Dolphins81 likes this.
  7. Liphinphan

Liphinphan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

How many threads do you expect to start on this topic? Anybody blaming CC for Cutler's play this year? Nope. Anybody plan on blaming Loggains if RT struggles? nope. The fact that neither one is calling plays is probably news to you. The fact that you proclaimed that the starting QB for the Dolphins next year wasn't on the roster shows that you don't pay attention...or you don't even actually believe what you post either

8. J. David Wannyheimer

Maybe the new OC will be the excuse for some crappy, low effort posts, too.

9. Liphinphan

I also read that he interviewed for the HC job in Chicago yesterday. I don't think he will jump for other DC's jobs until the process is over

10. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm willing to give it a shot. At this point the only thing I would be annoyed at is NO change. I always thought Clyde C. came off as a dope in press conferences, so I didn't have much faith in his ability to communicate with our schitzo roster of players.

Now I really want a new DC. There needs to be fresh blood on that side of the ball.

elite14eva likes this.
  11. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

It seems to be more and more obvious Gase put together a really good staff.

NOT!

12. Trade Viper

Trade Viper Wicked Stop Hunter

Now Smithers, if they can just keep Cutler, excellent, excellent.

The Ever Channeling Mr Burns VIPER

[​IMG]

13. BenchFiedler

BenchFiedler Undrafted Pro-Bowler

You mean Trash in, Trash in deeper.. No one got fired buddy lol

elite14eva likes this.
  14. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

I think people were hoping Gase was lying when he said he wouldn’t give up play calling, and he would have hired someone who has had success where ever he went. Instead we got a guy who has been part of utter failures in his two other chances as an OC.

For better or worse this is Adams team. I’m glad he got his guy. I hope it is exactly what he needs and leads him to a drastic improvement. I, from the bottom of my heart, want Adam to be the best coach, and be a great success. Intellectually I think next year our HC, GM, and president gets fired after another 6-10 season.

claytonduper likes this.
  15. Blake the great

Blake the great A True Fan

God this reminds me so much of Philbin, lets bring in other teams cast offs (and a bad team at that). We are looking like the Chicago Dolphins

elite14eva likes this.
  16. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator

Gase?? he got nothin. ain't buyin ain't believin. when Ross steps away for Beals, this team might begin to cut out this disease of mediocrity.. the whole damn thing needs to burn down.. again.

17. Liphinphan

You are right. One playoff season in two seasons. Give the coach two seasons...burn it down. Perfectly reasonable. Just burn it to the ground every two seasons and mediocrity will disappear. Hard to believe some of the knee jerk reactions by some.

18. EvilDylan

EvilDylan Banned Hammered Donator

Do you ever have anything constructive to add to the discussions? Now you're just becoming a nuisance.

BenchFiedler, andyahs and fin415 like this.
  19. J. David Wannyheimer

I honestly understand the frustration, but I think Gase does kind of deserve a mulligan for this season.

Next season? We'll need to see better results.

finitis23 and Austin Tatious like this.
  20. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

These are the league rankings of the Bears and the Dolphins offense in 2017. Neither we nor them cracked the top 20 in any of these categories. Forgive me if I'm not excited about the Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator.

Points per Game: CHI 29, MIA 28
    Yards per Game: CHI 30, MIA 25
    Offensive Holding Penalties: CHI 29, MIA 23
    False Start Penalties: CHI 26, MIA 30

21. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Idk, I would say the way the players didn't study, know where they were supposed to be before and during the play, amd thr insane amount of personal penalties points to a failure at OC imo

fin415 likes this.
  22. eger

eger Starter

Oh don't worry, it will be a one year working contract and he'll be getting the boot next year with the rest of the staff.
    Sorry, writing is on the wall, even clearer after this hire.

elite14eva likes this.
  23. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

24. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

Naw, Tannehill will bring us back to the playoffs and prove all his doubters wrong. Still the most underrated player in the NFL, but not for much longer. I expect him to continue where he left off...

FinaticalFinfan likes this.
  25. Liphinphan

Trust me when I say this, this is only the tip of the iceberg, it will only get worse, much worse. It like rolling a snowball down the hill, I know from experience. Be ready for it. And warnings don't slow him down, only accelerates the process

26. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

But Gase - the head coach and the one calling plays - gets a pass? Interesting.

I don't disagree but I could make just as good an argument that Gase is an eccentric who needs to be communicated with a certain way ... and Clyde wasn't getting it. Loggains does.

I like Gase. There's a good chance he's a weird one, though. Too much stuff gets leaked out pointing in that direction. I'll go ahead and hope Clyde didn't have his group under control and that's why he got demoted (I guess we'll see there ...), but I have my doubts.

27. BahamaFinFan78

BahamaFinFan78 A True Fan

28. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

When did you snap out of that coma you were in for at least an 8 game stretch last season? Because if anything over that stretch, our latest impressions of Tannehill were "scoreboard" 7-1, 100+QBr, 70% completion and a ratio of TDs to Ints that was better than 3:1!

If his knee doesn't hold up, then maybe, but otherwise, it's doubtful there will be any one to blame for said "suckage." However, considering the following, if that's not the case, it won't be the OC but rather the new OLC who'd be most to blame, aside from the morons upstairs for ordering the wrong "groceries."

tannehill top 5 from clean pocket.jpg

maralieus, Namor and andyahs like this.
  29. J. David Wannyheimer

Yeah, sadly I think we're just going to have to sort this mess out by judging the results a year from now.

Though here's another thought: Maybe he's planning to actually be more hands-on with the defense? If Loggains 'gets' Gase and what he wants to do, that would theoretically free up more time for Gase to oversee other aspects of the team? In that case, it could be an improvement.

BobDole likes this.
  30. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

The knee jerk reactions are always the same boring posters. Nothing the team does do they ever agree with.

fin415 and Liphinphan like this.
  31. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Hey that's a god point. One thing I haven't liked about Gase is that he seems to still be acting as an OC instead of a HC that is in charge of the whole team. Maybe this guy will help him do that

Ozzy rules!!

32. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I'm hoping loggains is here because Gase wants someone that knows how he thinks and can teach the players his scheme inside and out, leaving Gase to just playcall and not have to constantly watch over the offense. Hopefully it'll open up some time for Gase to game plan more rather than having to do other peoples jobs for them.

Austin Tatious likes this.
  33. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Didnt Gase try to hire him when he got hired? If so, then Gase just got the guy he wanted all along... Would also explain why they didnt even interview anyone else... I'd bet it's the same deal with Washburn...

CaneHammer and fin415 like this.
  34. CaneHammer

CaneHammer Rookie Finheaven VIP

I think it actually hurt Gase by Fox still having the Bears job. I believe he wanted to pilfer quite a bit of the staff but could not due to either blocking or the assistant being as loyal to Fox. At that time, they were not on the hot seat. Poor timing is what I would chalk it up to.

NBP81 likes this.
  35. Lionstone

Lionstone A True Fan

I was hoping that Clyde would be gone. He has not done a good enough job running the offense. Coach Gase basically fulfills the roles of play caller and QB coach. Those are valid areas to criticize him. He wants an OC that runs a tight ship training and managing the offensive players and position groups. Across the board Clyde failed his assignment.

36. Lionstone

Lionstone A True Fan

One breakdown of the responsibilities for the OC is manage training, manage daily work, ensure a cohesive unit, strategy including designing the offense, and play calling. Coach Gase defines the offensive play book and strategy and calls the plays. This means Clyde was responsible for managing the unit and offensive staff. Having multiple coaching changes on his staff does not reflect well. Players not knowing assignments, player performance, poor offensive line play, poor discipline are a direct reflection of his poor performance.

37. Lionstone

Lionstone A True Fan

The conclusion that play calling and strategy were not the main issues is one of the possible outcomes. If it was clear that play calls were predictable and defensive players were never fooled, then he should take the lion share of the blame. I saw too many good plays and open receivers for me to believe that play calling and strategy were the main contributors to offensive problems. My impression of the reason drives failed were penalties, lack of communication on blitzes and stunts, missed assignments including not know routes or responsibilities. These are Management and training failures of the offensive coaching staff. Coach Gase has his hands full with offensive strategy, comprehensive game plan, personnel management, communication, and other HC responsibilities. He is responsible because he is the HC, but it is likely the true issues were with the management of the offensive unit. The correct people are bearing the consequences.

I do believe it is fair to question wether the offense can succeed with this split of responsibilities. It is not the common approach.

38. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Except he is not calling plays. Gase likes him because he is good with QBs and knows the type of offense he wants to run. It allows Gase a trusted coach on offense to take some stuff off his plate during the week. I don't care if he is overly conservative when calling plays as that's not what he will be doing with us. This is all about freeing up some of Gases time during the week.

39. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

A few pluses.

He will understand what Gase wants and is trying to do.
    He’s been involved in some good rushing attacks and I’d hope he keep Gase “grounded” in this respect.
    He will spread the work around so Gase is not spread too thin.
    As an experienced guy, hopefully he can help with offensive penalties. If you charted out each drive we had, how many were ruined by a penalty?

Dolfan23 likes this.
  40. Dolfan23

Dolfan23 A True Fan

Was just about to post that as long as he's got the ability to tell Gase to remember we actually have a pretty damned good ability to run the ball and that we don't have to pass 70% of the time then he'll be an upgrade over what we've had.

No doubt our offense stunk this year but how many coaches would have won more than 6 games with Jay Cutler and Matt Moore? Hell look at the Eagles and their O with Foles vs Wentz. It looks like the greatest show on turf with Wentz and the 20xx Dolphins with Foles. Hopefully having an entire year to see the game in a different light will have helped Tannehill and we'll be moving way up the ladder offensively next season.

Austin Tatious likes this.