Dr. Z weighs in on the 'Phins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dr. Z weighs in on the 'Phins

Golphindolphin

town drunk
Club Member
Reaction score
"Steve, a Dolphins fan from Sacramento, Calif., where I landed my first newspaper job out of school (at the Bee), wonders what kind of an impact Junior Seau, Terrell Buckley and Jeff Zgonina will have, and can a fine defense paired with a so-so offense produce a winner? Well, these are the kind of guys you pick up when you're aiming at the Super Bowl, older vets (34, 32 and 33, respectively, in the order listed above), guys you hope to squeeze a year or two out of. Buckley is on the downside. I'm not sure he'll make the team. Zgonina is one of those sturdy pluggers who can help, but he, too, has seen his best years. It'll be interesting to see how they play Seau. I think it'll be a mistake to give him too much coverage responsibility, because last year he seemed to be missing a lot of open-field tackles, although persistent injuries were part of that. I think he might be helpful as a run-jammer. I don't know how the QB battle will come out, or if Dave Wannstedt is the guy to finally get them over the top, but right now, off the top of my head ... well, I just might pick them as my sleeper choice in the AFC."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/2003/06/26/drz_mailbag/

I think Dr. Z is one of the better football writers out there. He bases his comments on what he sees after he breaks down film, rather than making comments on what other people tell him. In that way, he gives a fresh perspective from many of the other guys who report whatever snippets of info their sources on the teams choose to release to them. (An aside on this...he was one of the first people to give Patrick Surtain his due, choosing him for his all-pro team two years ago, based not on reputation but on actual play when the film was reviewed.) I like the fact that he thinks we have a decent chance to make the Super Bowl, and I think his comments regarding Seau (good run-stuffer but troubles in coverage last year, perhaps due to injury) and Zgonina (solid plugger in the middle) look to be accurate. However, his doubts about Buckley seem a bit off. He questions whether TBuck will make the team, and many of the reports from mini-camps have him entrenched as the nickle CB.

All in all, not a bad quick, early evaluation from a good writer.

After reading some of his columns in the past I've found myself paying more attention to certain technical aspects of the game particulary along the defensive and offensive lines. He know's his stuff and he's not the gossip columnist type of football writer so prevalent today. Oh, and Noonan, Judge Smails wants to talk to you about that scholarship.

I think all these experts are downplaying the addition of Seau. As important as any play he will make on the field is the attitude his presence is going to give to our defense. Our defense has been at the top for a long time now, but it has never had that snarl that his presence will bring. His attitude is infectious and will spread to every player on the defense.

Ya gotta love how Junior Seau, Brian Griese and Sammy Knight all became available... and despite some agent posturing... all that each of them seemed to want to do... was to come play for the Dolphins.

:)

Seau attitude is the same that those of Warren Sapp with TB or Ray Lewis in Baltimore. The D will want to show that they're the best and they won't collapse after a bad play.

I think its funny he called miami his "sleeper". I dont' think its would be much of a surprise to see this team succeed. We are pretty much stacked. The expectations will be very high for sure.

Originally posted by FinsGoToGuy
Seau attitude is the same that those of Warren Sapp with TB or Ray Lewis in Baltimore. The D will want to show that they're the best and they won't collapse after a bad play.

That is what I was thinking as well. Hopefully, it will come to pass. :pray:

Zgonina is one of those sturdy pluggers who can help, but he, too, has seen his best years

I'm not so sure that this is accurate, I thought that JZ just became a starter last year or the year before....he might have some age on him but, he's got relatively minimal wear and tear.

What makes things hard is that the bills and fins have the talent to succeed. Baring injuries, it's up to the coaches now.

The Pats have the coach but IMO lack the talent in the offensive part of the ball. Antwain Smith is the least talented rb in the division and needs to have a great season for Brady to shine.

The Jets are still solid .

This is why no one in the AFCE is a breakaway favorite to win the division all the more the sb.

I agree w/you to an extent justa, but I do see the Bills and Phins as improving this offseason - particularly for 2003 (forget after that) and the Pats and Jets not improving or declining, especially the Jets losing Coles. I do think the Pats and/or Jets c/b in for 7-9 or worse years.

Dude every team has the talent to succeed. The Cardinals could too. If their McAddley and one of the other youngings do well and the line plays up to snuff. Thus the offense. LBs are ok-below, D-Line is improving slowly, Adrian Wilson, Starks.

Obviously a long shot but I am telling you that any team in this league can win it. Likeliness is another factor.

Back
Top Bottom