Draft Grade Summary | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Grade Summary

Jssanto

Club Member
Reaction score
in looking at multiple expert comments about draft grades:
We are not graded as high as it seems we should have been. They are coaches and GMs and know more than most fans. It does seem they are reducing our grade as we did not draft a QB.
Would a 6 or 7 QB have made our draft better?
Fitz was a top 5-7 talent we got at 11.
We needed a TE and got one of the top three without losing picks by trading up.
We have a LBer ( I might have preferred larger but speed will help coverage and it is a passing league).
We doubled down on TEs. Again, I might have preferred Ol or DL here, but TE has progressed in value like FB has decreased.
I do not know if the lower round picks will develop, but none of the other teams do either.

In all the summaries I've seen, I haven't seen a grade below a B-. I think our first two picks are easily an A-

I think the front office had a clear direction.

1) Get faster and more athletic on defense.
2) Fix the tight end position
3) Be flexible in case talent fell.

I think Fitzpatrick fits #1 and #3. Baker fits #1. I love the tight end tandem. That's been a weakness in Miami since Charles Clay left and I think the front office turned that into a strength.

After the off-season and the draft, I really like how the offense looks on paper. I'm concerned about the defense and, particularly, stopping the run. I've always viewed Phillips as a rotational guy, but I think the coaching staff is expecting him to essentially be Suh's replacement. This could be an area the Dolphins look to add to after June 1 cuts.

I also wonder if Alonso will kick back inside. Baker is weakside all the way. McMillian can play strong or middle.

Miami Dolphins
SB Nation: A-
ESPN: C+
NFL: B+
PFF: Good

the espn grade was more towards not getting a pick at QB then our actual draft.

We all know you can not grade a draft until years later. That being said anyone who did not give miami an A is just like y'all said, no QB. That's enough to tell you right then they do not know Jack. Doubling down on LB and TE was solid as he'll of an idea and Minkah at 11 was insane. We got value at almost every single pick which is also extremely important.

If the Patriots packaged their two #1's and another pick to move up to #10 to draft Rosen, they would've been hailed as geniuses; yet, instead they draft the LSU QB in the 7th round and are hailed as geniuses for sticking to their board.

Yet when the Dolphins allow the Cardinals to leapfrog them to draft Rosen, they are lambasted for being "played" when they wanted the best remaining defensive player all along. I'll say this: I'm glad to hear that the Dolphins had no intention to draft Rosen. As much as I love the Dolphins, I couldn't root for that a*****e.

It seems like the Dolphins' draft strategy was all about improving their 3rd down offensive and defensive efficiency. Sounds good to me.

If the Patriots packaged their two #1's and another pick to move up to #10 to draft Rosen, they would've been hailed as geniuses; yet, instead they draft the LSU QB in the 7th round and are hailed as geniuses for sticking to their board.

Yet when the Dolphins allow the Cardinals to leapfrog them to draft Rosen, they are lambasted for being "played" when they wanted the best remaining defensive player all along. I'll say this: I'm glad to hear that the Dolphins had no intention to draft Rosen. As much as I love the Dolphins, I couldn't root for that a*****e.

It seems like the Dolphins' draft strategy was all about improving their 3rd down offensive and defensive efficiency. Sounds good to me.
I agree w a lot of this. Especially about the Pats. They get an “A” from people just because...

it doesn't matter. We got the players we got and now we'll see what they do out on the field. I like our draft and keep on mind that no draft is going to be perfect. You won't get a great player with every pick but I think we did well and time will tell

Doesn’t matter...Mark my words...teams will regret passing on Minkah Fitzpatrick...and Gesicki is going to be a seam and red zone nightmare for our opponents.

If we had snagged Mike White(QB) on day 3...I would have been perfect...but I still give it an “A” at this point.

Let’s face it...in the first two rounds they fixed some major holes on defense and offense...what more can you ask?

I don't think Gase wanted any of the QBs except for Mayfield. I don't think he planned on getting a QB in round 3 or 4 or any round in this draft once Mayfield was gone. We should be rated on our draft picks not guys we passed on.

We lost multiple games in the fourth when we could not keep the ball and keep the other teams offense on the sideline. We also gave up to many 3rd and longs to keep our defense on the field. Tight ends and DBacks will help solve this

Who cares? I'll never forget kiper Jr and the rest of the ESPN guys torching Baltimore for taking haloti ngata(sp?) at #12. It was clearly a good pick.

Rounds 1-2 were EXCELLENT for us this year. FO did good and deserves some props. I would have made some different picks in later rounds, but first two were dead on. I am okay with them doubling up on TE, even though I generally hate drafting TEs. It's clear Gase needs that position locked down in order for his offense to roll properly. I'm still nervous about LB situation. Hope McMillan is a stud and is able to bring his boy Baker into the fold.

Back
Top Bottom