draft perspective | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

draft perspective

cowtowndick

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Q: What do Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Marc Bulger, and Spergon Wynn (Spergon Wynn???) have in common? Q(b): What's the point?:confused:

Sucks that i have to reply to my own post, but here goes: they were all drafted, at QB, ahead of Tom Brady (199th overall). b) Point is, that the draft is a very, very inexact science - in fact, it's a crap shoot. NFL.com has a review of the drafts back to 1982. It's very interesting to see how many teams had very poor picks, based on how high they were drafting. Lesson is this - hindsight is 20/20; seems the best you can hope for is to draft a great athlete, a good player, and hope you have the system he will thrive in. But it's much, much less than an even bet that he'll work out as you expect him to, IMO.

I hate this argument. It's not a complete crapshoot.

It sounds like we should go into the draft and play Duck-Duck-Goose and draft that way.

mjwenz said:
Wasn't this guy supposed to be awesome?

Overrated like hell. The only one out of those guys I thought would do well was Chris Redman. I think the Ravens just gave up on him too early.

mjwenz said:
Wasn't this guy supposed to be awesome?
Yep. He went to Hofstra and thats what you get for drafting a qb from a real cr@p conference.

Jaj said:
I hate this argument. It's not a complete crapshoot.

It sounds like we should go into the draft and play Duck-Duck-Goose and draft that way.
You're right, it's not a complete crap shoot. We, as fans, just have to hope that Saban has a good grasp of a) the talent available in the draft, and b) what the team needs now. Check out the draft review - it's actually kinda depressing, or at least sobering. Look at the top 15 draft choices of every year, and it seems there as many busts as there are booms. If the draft is everything then we should be ecstatic - Stockar McDougal was number 20 overall in 2000. My only point is this - we should not hang too much of our optimism, or pessimism, for the season upcoming on the draft. It's very inconsistent, IMO.

cowtowndick said:
You're right, it's not a complete crap shoot. We, as fans, just have to hope that Saban has a good grasp of a) the talent available in the draft, and b) what the team needs now. Check out the draft review - it's actually kinda depressing, or at least sobering. Look at the top 15 draft choices of every year, and it seems there as many busts as there are booms. If the draft is everything then we should be ecstatic - Stockar McDougal was number 20 overall in 2000. My only point is this - we should not hang too much of our optimism, or pessimism, for the season upcoming on the draft. It's very inconsistent, IMO.

I'll agree with you about this. Even some steals like Brandon Winey in 2001 don't turn out (2nd round LT that went to us in the 5th but was too weak and was cut).

Jaj said:
I'll agree with you about this. Even some steals like Brandon Winey in 2001 don't turn out (2nd round LT that went to us in the 5th but was too weak and was cut).
Too true. But review the whole record - not to single out the Dolphins by any means, because I'm a die hard fan, but what about the 1999 draft. Hypothetically speaking, these are players that are now entering their sixth year - look at the first round. It's actually very poor.

cowtowndick said:
Too true. But review the whole record - not to single out the Dolphins by any means, because I'm a die hard fan, but what about the 1999 draft. Hypothetically speaking, these are players that are now entering their sixth year - look at the first round. It's actually very poor.

Ya that draft was a bit poor considering it had so many QBs, RBs, and WRs that could have been big time players. The draft can seem very talented and have many busts, however 2002 did not seem extremely talented but it's provided quite a few players especially on the defensive line to this league.

1999- Super talented draft
2000- Medium Draft
2001- Upper-Tier Draft
2002- Medium Draft
2003- Upper-Tier Draft
2004- Super talented draft
2005- Medium Draft

Back
Top Bottom