Draft Picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Picks

Dolphins17-0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What to do, what to do...
If we just have the 20, im liking woods or evans, maybe vernon carey.

but say we lose ogun and then have 2 1sts and 2 3rds.. but neither 1st gives us a shot at the qbs we want
then we have a ton of options
1st round: wr/ol-woods/carey both possibly

or a bunch of trade options,
try and package the two ones to move up and get the qb.
Package some picks to move up to get gallery or andrews

Keep one 1st and trade down with the other to a later spot in the first(still probably get carey/woods) and find a way to pick up a second round pick as well. Then get a QB later in the draft and use a vet for the next season or so.

As well of a host of other realistic ideas i'm sure you guys have
any ideas/preferences?

Do you really think there's ANY chance of a team giving up a first AND a thrid round pick in ADDITION to the money it would take to sign O-Gun?

I see that as not even close to a possibility. We may end trading his rights to another team ala Peerless Price contingent of the team being able to sign O-Gun to a new deal first. (Arizona for their second and fourth round picks would be a perfect scenario for both teams) If Arizona traded for him they'd get the D-lineman they severely need while also probably getting Ben or Manning with their first pick. We'd get a pick to acquire either Rivers or Evans/Woods and have another pick a little later on for a depth type guy.

That would be my call anyway.

The reason why i say ogun could go is because there are a lot of teams that need him and if i recall correctly the eagles were going to give up similar picks, maybe even 2 number 1s, not positive on that to get Gbaja Biamilia who only plays third downs... so you never know, there could be a market for him, hes young, he was dominant and they wont find a DE in the draft even close to him. i think it's a good possibility, but we will see

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
Do you really think there's ANY chance of a team giving up a first AND a thrid round pick in ADDITION to the money it would take to sign O-Gun?

I see that as not even close to a possibility. We may end trading his rights to another team ala Peerless Price contingent of the team being able to sign O-Gun to a new deal first. (Arizona for their second and fourth round picks would be a perfect scenario for both teams) If Arizona traded for him they'd get the D-lineman they severely need while also probably getting Ben or Manning with their first pick. We'd get a pick to acquire either Rivers or Evans/Woods and have another pick a little later on for a depth type guy.

That would be my call anyway.

I do. he's very young, and proven himself a success in the NFL. He's has the 2nd most sacks in the NFL and he's only 2 years in. He is a sure thing. He's proven himself in the NFL. NO ONE in the draft is a sure thing. Let's say someone wants a great DE, they'll have to trade up for him and pay a high salary. A team would GLADLY give up a first round pick for Ogun because he IS a sure thing, that's something no one in the draft can claim.

Also, I don't think we'll have to trade up to get Rivers. While i REALLY want to try to trade up and get Eli or Roth Rivers should be available with the 20th pick. Is he good enough to go higher? Of course. But how many teams NEED a QB with their first round pick? I can count them on one hand. Now add in the veteran QB's in the FA and you've got VERY few team willing to spend their first rounder on a QB. And that's with his current draft standings. I have a gut feeling that he'll drop at the combine due to his mechanics. Love the guy, but I don't think we'll need to trade up for him. but if we pass him up........

OGUN is the a better player than Biamila too, he can play the run very well. I hope we get to keep him. Does anyone think D. Bowens or Jay Williams can put up those kind of numbers, or play the run as well as O-gun? That one sack against Manning was priceless.... If we are going to push for the Playoffs next year O-gun is too valuable to lose. I'd perfer to trade Madison and sign a FA corner than to lose O-gun, we should find a way to lock him up long term. I have to admit I'm not sure how trading Sam would affect our cap or what we'd get for him?

Originally posted by JAGFISH
OGUN is the a better player than Biamila too, he can play the run very well. I hope we get to keep him. Does anyone think D. Bowens or Jay Williams can put up those kind of numbers, or play the run as well as O-gun? That one sack against Manning was priceless.... If we are going to push for the Playoffs next year O-gun is too valuable to lose. I'd perfer to trade Madison and sign a FA corner than to lose O-gun, we should find a way to lock him up long term. I have to admit I'm not sure how trading Sam would affect our cap or what we'd get for him?

I'd love to keep O-gun, but it's not really an option. Next year he's a FA that will make bookoo bucks. This year if we tag him, and no one picks him up, we pay 1.8 mil to keep him.......for a year. THEN he's free to go anywhere he wants, and we'll get nothing. That;'s why we need to tag him, and hope to get something out of the deal. We allready spdn WAY more on defense than on offense. I like the guy, but he's not the rock of our defnese. JT is enough.

Yes actually I do think that Bowens can put up very good numbers. There is a reason he was signed for a three year deal.

Bowens is an undersized DE, coming off a serious injury that has yet to prove he can be an everydown effective DE. You can't lose young player with this much talent when they are just starting to reach their potential. Huzienga already told him he's not going anywhere I hope he keeps his word. In two years we may be in a much better cap situation. I'm all for tagging him for the 1-3 picks this year and trying to work something out long term. If he gets a serious offer from a team we can't match you'd have to let him go I understand that, but you should be looking at way to keep him instead of just assumming he's going to leave.

Well the point is we tag him. Either he comes back and plays for us for another year or we get a 1st rounder and money to spend on a lineman like Chad Clifton.

That's true tag him and hope for the best, signing Clifton would be a boon regardless if we keep O-gun. I think the Pack may put up a serious fight for him.

Even if we cant afford clifton there are many lineman out there that we could go after who would be a nice improvement, just look at the long list of free agents.

Back
Top Bottom