Draft Prospect Visits | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Prospect Visits

Rush lb is exactly what came to my mind. I think I might be seeing more Jamie Collins though in terms of high level athlete. Explosive cat. Better athlete than van noy. I see a lot of wants to get upfield and penetrate on that. And games to free him up for clean looks to the qb where the click and close explosion athlete can show off.

I’m not sure I see the off the los lb ask stuff although I do see what looks like some responsible for an area accountability. Would like more looks at actual off the los play. See if I see more off ball lb instincts in his game and poa fill play.

More meat on the bone than Hollins in terms of ceiling.

Some aspects look a little raw relative to the athlete. That’s easy to coin as upside but if they don’t develop you end up potentially underwhelming. Full game looks would probably give me a better read.

In terms of rush lb for the scheme however ask I’d say for the upfield rush part that looks pretty ideal. Not a 43 de not a 34 olb but a rush lb who is a high level athlete yet raw enough with other aspects of his overall game where maybe you get him on a very good value draft asset wise.

You got it, hoops. Athletically, he's much more similar to Collins - slightly less explosive and a little more agile than Collins, but almost identical size and speed. I didn't watch all of Van Noy's games in 2018, but I did watch most of the later games and all of the playoffs, and NE usually had him on the LOS or blitzing. On those blitzes, they ran a lot of stunts, and because of Banogu's explosion and timing, he's absolutely murder on stunts. I think he showed good instincts for what TCU asked him to do, but the off-ball stuff is projection. CK made the point that Hollins is the more obvious fit in that sense, and I have to agree, but I still favor Banogu's upside.

Rush lb is exactly what came to my mind. I think I might be seeing more Jamie Collins though in terms of high level athlete. Explosive cat. Better athlete than van noy. I see a lot of wants to get upfield and penetrate on that. And games to free him up for clean looks to the qb where the click and close explosion athlete can show off.

I’m not sure I see the off the los lb ask stuff although I do see what looks like some responsible for an area accountability. Would like more looks at actual off the los play. See if I see more off ball lb instincts in his game and poa fill play.

More meat on the bone than Hollins in terms of ceiling.

Some aspects look a little raw relative to the athlete. That’s easy to coin as upside but if they don’t develop you end up potentially underwhelming. Full game looks would probably give me a better read.

In terms of rush lb for the scheme however ask I’d say for the upfield rush part that looks pretty ideal. Not a 43 de not a 34 olb but a rush lb who is a high level athlete yet raw enough with other aspects of his overall game where maybe you get him on a very good value draft asset wise.

These are some of the defenders that make sense for Miami under Flores imo:

DE

Omenihu - Huge frame (uncommon arm length), excellent strength and burst. Made a lot of plays in the backfield and plays with the violence Miami says it's looking for but still has a lot of untapped potential in his hands.

Anthony Nelson - Another big frame but not as big as Omenihu, and he's not as violent. Good pass rusher with elite athleticism - particularly for his size. Physical profile compares favorably to Chandler Jones.

OLB

Ben Banogu - see prev posts

Justin Hollins - Good size and elite speed, he's the most grab-and-go OLB for the fit. Should be able to come in and start right away, and he'll probably be available a round or two later than Banogu.

CB

Julian Love - intelligence, instincts, versatility, and ball skills would look great in a D that asks a lot of its DB's. Somewhere between Desmond King and Casey Hayward.

Cover Safety

Darnell Savage - can play CB and has the speed (4.3's) to excel in man coverage. Comes downhill with urgency and makes a lot of plays on the ball. Younger than Thornhill.

Juan Thornhill - elite athlete with high-end instincts and experience at CB (where he played in 2017). No Safety prospect made more plays than Thornhill - always around the ball.

Mike Edwards - played a lot of slot in 2018, but he can also cover deep, and he has a very rounded game. Like the other two, you can move him around and expect him to find the ball no matter where you line him up. Don't believe he tested.

I do also like Dean a lot. His experience is limited, and he's a little tough, because he'd just mug WR's, but in recent years, NE has favored mass and speed at CB. They haven't paid extra for length or super speed, but most of their recent picks/UDFA's have been around 200 lbs and ran around 4.45.

If you can get him in the 3rd or later, that's a good bet. Couldn't be mad about him in the 2nd either. The physical tools are just insane.

If I recall correctly Jamie Collins played almost all on the los attacking upfield at southern miss. I seem to recall that from when I keyed him as a prospect.

As a pro the off ball lb play hasn’t exactly caught up with the athlete. That’s the one thing that would concern me. But it’s a chance you got to take all day long with this kind of skill set. Just not always a safe one. And again scheme can do a lot of the driving making the athlete offset some other aspects. At least until it’s time for that 2nd contract which may be where you draw a line on the players actual overall game not validating the elite money. In Collins case I believe his smarts were always less than ideal for the pats with off ball. Seem to remember him not being all that assignment accountable with it

DE

Omenihu - Huge frame (uncommon arm length), excellent strength and burst. Made a lot of plays in the backfield and plays with the violence Miami says it's looking for but still has a lot of untapped potential in his hands.

Anthony Nelson - Another big frame but not as big as Omenihu, and he's not as violent. Good pass rusher with elite athleticism - particularly for his size. Physical profile compares favorably to Chandler Jones.

OLB

Justin Hollins - Good size and elite speed, he's the most grab-and-go OLB for the fit. Should be able to come in and start right away, and he'll probably be available a round or two later than Banogu.

CB

Julian Love - intelligence, instincts, versatility, and ball skills would look great in a D that asks a lot of its DB's. Somewhere between Desmond King and Casey Hayward.

Cover Safety

Darnell Savage - can play CB and has the speed (4.3's) to excel in man coverage. Comes downhill with urgency and makes a lot of plays on the ball. Younger than Thornhill.

Juan Thornhill - elite athlete with high-end instincts and experience at CB (where he played in 2017). No Safety prospect made more plays than Thornhill - always around the ball.

Mike Edwards - played a lot of slot in 2018, but he can also cover deep, and he has a very rounded game. Like the other two, you can move him around and expect him to find the ball no matter where you line him up. Don't believe he tested.

Curious as to why Nasir adderley wouldn’t be on this list of versatile pieces?

As for Nelson I think the poa play is solid or good enough for outside shoulder ask I don’t know that is for anything else although he can learn to play more to his length there and keep guys off his chest. The height is less than ideal though for leverage play.

In that regard I think omenihu has more to offer even if he’s not as twitchy or quick in short areas etc. but does he have the smarts?

the whole process is a game. I would actually think that whoever we bring in to check out is someone we WONT draft lol. Just makes people think we are interested when we aren't. Which would suck because I like Lindstrom.

There’s more smoke bein blown right now than at a Rastafarian wedding. I’m still not buying the Cards taking a QB #1

If I recall correctly Jamie Collins played almost all on the los attacking upfield at southern miss. I seem to recall that from when I keyed him as a prospect.

As a pro the off ball lb play hasn’t exactly caught up with the athlete. That’s the one thing that would concern me. But it’s a chance you got to take all day long with this kind of skill set. Just not always a safe one. And again scheme can do a lot of the driving making the athlete offset some other aspects. At least until it’s time for that 2nd contract which may be where you draw a line on the players actual overall game not validating the elite money. In Collins case I believe his smarts were always less than ideal for the pats with off ball. Seem to remember him not being all that assignment accountable with it

Yeah, that was the common reasoning for Collins' departure from NE - not assignment sound.

Curious as to why Nasir adderley wouldn’t be on this list of versatile pieces?

As for Nelson I think the poa play is solid or good enough for outside shoulder ask I don’t know that is for anything else although he can learn to play more to his length there and keep guys off his chest. The height is less than ideal though for leverage play.

In that regard I think omenihu has more to offer even if he’s not as twitchy or quick in short areas etc. but does he have the smarts?

I like Adderley well enough, but in the late-1st/2nd range, I don't like him. So, if he falls further than projected, I'd add him to the list.

Miami doesn't have any LB's who fit the Hightower or Van Noy role. Hollins and Banogu do (Van Noy). If Flores wants to run something that resembles NE's D, Miami needs those pieces, so it makes sense that they're looking at so many LB's.

Yeah there’s no other options in the building for this at lb. I think pegging banogu and hollins as the class fits is spot on.

I also think especially with banogu many teams are gonna say his game and skill set doesn’t fit what we do. Too much risk as an off the ball lb primary ask and not enough sand in the pants as a 43 de. So many teams probably won’t be interested early

With New England and Miami as scheme fit exceptions.

Hollins I could potentially see as someone thinking 34 wolb.

The question is where do you have to pull the trigger. I believe Jamie Collins was a top 50 pick in his class. I could see banogu because of the explosion athlete coming off in that range.

Hollins maybe more 75 to 100 even. Safe bet imo being if you want either probably have to get it on day 2.

Last edited:
Yeah there’s no other options in the building for this at lb. I think pegging banogu and hollins as the class fits is spot on.

I also think especially with banogu many teams are gonna say his game and skill set doesn’t fit what we do. Too much risk as an off the ball lb primary ask and not enough sand in the pants as a 43 de. So many teams probably won’t be interested early

With New England and Miami as scheme fit exceptions.

Hollins I could potentially see as someone thinking 34 wolb.

The question is where do you have to pull the trigger. I believe Jamie Collins was a top 50 pick in his class. I could see banogu because of the explosion athlete coming off in that range.

Hollins maybe more 75 to 100 even. Safe bet imo being if you want either probably have to get it on day 2.

Yeah, Collins went at 52 - right in that range. I agree that scheme fit could cause Banogu and Hollins to fall further than they might otherwise.

A lot of people have Hollins as a Day 3 guy. I think that's too low, but we'll see.

I’d like to hear some names on who would be poa values for the scheme with versatility in terms of where they can line up on the los.

Guys that don’t require high draft asset return to play a significant/vital role in the rotation etc.

I’d like to hear some names on who would be poa values for the scheme with versatility in terms of where they can line up on the los.

Guys that don’t require high draft asset return to play a significant/vital role in the rotation etc.
I think Boston College DE Zach Allen may be a fit? He's a late day 2 day 3 type pick?

DE

OLB

CB

Cover Safety

Of those I really like Omenihu and Love. Two of my favorite players. I like Banogu but not before the 3rd round tbh.

Back
Top Bottom