Draft Rumors And Discussion | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Rumors And Discussion

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
I thought this might be a good place to talk about draft rumors coming out of different sources/areas.

Hearing in the Bay Area that San Francisco is down to Bosa or Williams, the DT from Alabama. Of course, who really knows? I would think Allen might be in consideration for that #2 overall. Plus, that could be a spot for a trade.

I think there are several teams to really watch in this draft. One is the Raiders. IMO they are a wildcard to go quarterback with that #4 overall pick. Gruden absolutely loves quarterbacks and he has to know that Carr is middle of the pack.

I also think the Jets are a trading spot at #3 overall for teams wanting to move up for a quarterback.

Interestingly, the New York Giants are saying they may not take a quarterback at #6. To me, this is the Giants trying to be deceptive so that other teams won't jump them. Then again, maybe they like the Duke quarterback, Jones, and figure they can get him later?

As far as Miami goes, I still think it makes the most sense to build both lines and get the franchise quarterback in 2020. But, it depends how they feel about Haskins and Lock in comparison to Tua, Fromm and Herbert.

If the Dolphins go quarterback early, either with a trade up or because someone drops, that would change the entire draft. I would think that building the offensive line would then be a big priority. Then again, that quarterback could sit for a year behind Fitzpatrick.

What are you all hearing out there?

I believe they will in the 2nd round at 48 select Will Grier from West Virginia. He is a damn good accurate QB over 66% completion rate and a beautiful deep ball. He can learn behind Fitz. At 13 we select a best available G. Those are my first two rounds.

I believe they will in the 2nd round at 48 select Will Grier from West Virginia. He is a damn good accurate QB over 66% completion rate and a beautiful deep ball. He can learn behind Fitz. At 13 we select a best available G. Those are my first two rounds.

I would be good with this - best player available at 13 and Grier at 48

I thought this might be a good place to talk about draft rumors coming out of different sources/areas.

Hearing in the Bay Area that San Francisco is down to Bosa or Williams, the DT from Alabama. Of course, who really knows? I would think Allen might be in consideration for that #2 overall. Plus, that could be a spot for a trade.

What are you all hearing out there?

SF is interesting in that they are rumored to love Bosa but they have invested so much into that D-line already. Big time FA signing to go along with three high first round picks. That's already 4 players on a 4 man front. What would they do with Thomas, who is only going into his 3rd year?

Soloman Thomas got better as the year went on last year as they moved him inside on passing downs. He is listed as a DE but Arik Armstead played "big end" in their system (4-3 under) and performed very well. He also moved inside at times on passing downs. Buckner is entrenched as the 3-tech and now Ford is entrenched as the LEO. AA is playing on the 5th year option and is playing better than Thomas.

Normally in that defense, it's the SLB that gets used as the edge rusher at times when not dropping. Like how Seattle used Bruce Irvin.

Their biggest need right now (IMO) is WR and CB but that's not where the value is at 2 overall. They could also use a true under tackle/nose tackle. They were using Earl Mitchell as the NT (oof) but he is gone. I suppose they could use Quinnen Williams as the NT but that puts either Thomas or AA on the bench....as does getting Bosa.

I suppose they could try and do a draft day trade involving Armstead or Thomas but that may be tough.

I'm thinking trade down so they can nab a top WR or CB or even a SLB who can rush. Someone like Brian Burns.

I think there are several teams to really watch in this draft. One is the Raiders. IMO they are a wildcard to go quarterback with that #4 overall pick. Gruden absolutely loves quarterbacks and he has to know that Carr is middle of the pack.

Yes. Gruden loves QB's but he has never drafted one higher than the 3rd round (Chris Simms). (I don't think he's much of a scout either.) His other drafted Qb's were Bruce Gradkowski in the 6th and Josh Johnson in the 5th.

There is a rumor that he has been in love with Drew Lock for a long time. He seems sort of QB ****y if you ask me. He thinks he can make everyone the next Rich Gannon.

I think Mayock will be in his ear about taking a stud DL. Mayock was also high on Carr back in 2014....

"He is more athletic than people think," Mayock said back in 2014. "A lot of teams thought he was the best pure thrower in draft. I love the way this kid throws the football."

Mayock has Carr ranked as the 20th best player overall.

I'd very much like to see SF take Bosa cuz otherwise we'll be facing him at least twice a year!

A day or so ago I saw a Hypothetical Trade Proposal on Bleacher Report, between Miami and Washington. Miami would trade for Alex Smith's contract in exchange for Washington's 1st Round Pick in 2019. This would allow Washington to clear Smith's contract off their books, Miami absorbs the huge cap hit in 2019 and beyond. Similar to Houston sending a 2nd round pick to Cleveland for Brock Osweiler and his enormous contract. Just something to debate amongst Fellow Dolfan's?

A day or so ago I saw a Hypothetical Trade Proposal on Bleacher Report, between Miami and Washington. Miami would trade for Alex Smith's contract in exchange for Washington's 1st Round Pick in 2019. This would allow Washington to clear Smith's contract off their books, Miami absorbs the huge cap hit in 2019 and beyond. Similar to Houston sending a 2nd round pick to Cleveland for Brock Osweiler and his enormous contract. Just something to debate amongst Fellow Dolfan's?
Do you have a link for that?

SF is interesting in that they are rumored to love Bosa but they have invested so much into that D-line already. Big time FA signing to go along with three high first round picks. That's already 4 players on a 4 man front. What would they do with Thomas, who is only going into his 3rd year?

Soloman Thomas got better as the year went on last year as they moved him inside on passing downs. He is listed as a DE but Arik Armstead played "big end" in their system (4-3 under) and performed very well. He also moved inside at times on passing downs. Buckner is entrenched as the 3-tech and now Ford is entrenched as the LEO. AA is playing on the 5th year option and is playing better than Thomas.

Normally in that defense, it's the SLB that gets used as the edge rusher at times when not dropping. Like how Seattle used Bruce Irvin.

Their biggest need right now (IMO) is WR and CB but that's not where the value is at 2 overall. They could also use a true under tackle/nose tackle. They were using Earl Mitchell as the NT (oof) but he is gone. I suppose they could use Quinnen Williams as the NT but that puts either Thomas or AA on the bench....as does getting Bosa.

I suppose they could try and do a draft day trade involving Armstead or Thomas but that may be tough.

I'm thinking trade down so they can nab a top WR or CB or even a SLB who can rush. Someone like Brian Burns.
They have been pretty disappointed with Thomas. Not ready to give up on him necessarily, but definitely hasn't lived up his draft status. Lots of talk that they should have taken Mahomes there, but I'm sure a few teams are kicking themselves for passing on him. SF had virtually no pass rush either. Agree that wide receiver and corner are big needs as well. I could see the 49ers trading out of that spot.

Wow. That's interesting. Wonder if Miami would use that to deal up for a quarterback or just capitalize on the defense in this draft?

Yes. Gruden loves QB's but he has never drafted one higher than the 3rd round (Chris Simms). (I don't think he's much of a scout either.) His other drafted Qb's were Bruce Gradkowski in the 6th and Josh Johnson in the 5th.

There is a rumor that he has been in love with Drew Lock for a long time. He seems sort of QB ****y if you ask me. He thinks he can make everyone the next Rich Gannon.

I think Mayock will be in his ear about taking a stud DL. Mayock was also high on Carr back in 2014....

"He is more athletic than people think," Mayock said back in 2014. "A lot of teams thought he was the best pure thrower in draft. I love the way this kid throws the football."

Mayock has Carr ranked as the 20th best player overall.
Lock could be a good fit there. He wouldn't have to start right away and Gruden could smooth out his footwork. I think that's a possibility, although I would say more of a chance they go defense.

Not gonna happen... Washington is not going to let go of their first rounder in 2020.

trade for Alex Smith who broke his leg? why would we do that?
Because in this scenario we would also get a high draft pick, and Washington would supposedly be willing to do this get rid of a expensive contract for an injured player that they don't want to carry. Because we have a lot of cap space we can swallow the contract with no intention of playing or even keeping the player and the draft pick is the real prize.

It's a very extreme version of what the Browns did when they took Brock Osweiler from Houston last Summer (got a pick as part of the package, took the salary hit and released the player) but is highly unlikely to happen.

Back
Top Bottom