Draft Rumors And Discussion | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Rumors And Discussion

A day or so ago I saw a Hypothetical Trade Proposal on Bleacher Report, between Miami and Washington. Miami would trade for Alex Smith's contract in exchange for Washington's 1st Round Pick in 2019. This would allow Washington to clear Smith's contract off their books, Miami absorbs the huge cap hit in 2019 and beyond. Similar to Houston sending a 2nd round pick to Cleveland for Brock Osweiler and his enormous contract. Just something to debate amongst Fellow Dolfan's?
If that was even remotely true, this is an easy trade to make. Smith is cuttable in 2020 & 2021.

Saw something that said some teams have Ed Oliver higher than quinnen Williams on their board.

I could see it. Depending on what flavor ice cream you like

A few teams also worked him out at ILB and OLB. The guy is athletic.

I think we could line him up at DE and DT in Miami at 6'2 287. Sort of of better version of Trey Flowers

A day or so ago I saw a Hypothetical Trade Proposal on Bleacher Report, between Miami and Washington. Miami would trade for Alex Smith's contract in exchange for Washington's 1st Round Pick in 2019. This would allow Washington to clear Smith's contract off their books, Miami absorbs the huge cap hit in 2019 and beyond. Similar to Houston sending a 2nd round pick to Cleveland for Brock Osweiler and his enormous contract. Just something to debate amongst Fellow Dolfan's?

Maybe a mid round pick but i don't see Washington giving up their first round pick. They're in a similar spot as us and they should be in the business of acquiring picks not giving them away.

Because in this scenario we would also get a high draft pick, and Washington would supposedly be willing to do this get rid of a expensive contract for an injured player that they don't want to carry. Because we have a lot of cap space we can swallow the contract with no intention of playing or even keeping the player and the draft pick is the real prize.

It's a very extreme version of what the Browns did when they took Brock Osweiler from Houston last Summer (got a pick as part of the package, took the salary hit and released the player) but is highly unlikely to happen.

So more buying draft picks?

I love this way of operating. I mean, if we have the cap space for it and it doesnt jeopardize future cap, yes please.

Buying picks... I hate to sound like a dunce but until we started doing it I hadn't the slightest idea it was a thing.

It's a given to pay for them, right? Picks are scarce amd complicated to trade for. Pay for as many as them as you can, I say.

trade for Alex Smith who broke his leg? why would we do that?

For the same reason we would select Will Grier in the 2nd, even if Haskins/Lock are available...ineptitude in the FO. I am willing to give Grier the benefit of the doubt, but should either of these scenarios play out...he's become my new whipping boy.

I think the key here is what the Cardinals do, and what the Giants do. If the Giants trade for Rosen we have a chance of getting either Haskins or Lock.
If the Giants draft a QB, we'll either have to trade up or settle for a later round QB.
The Broncos I think will pick Lock before we have a chance to.

A few teams also worked him out at ILB and OLB. The guy is athletic.

I think we could line him up at DE and DT in Miami at 6'2 287. Sort of of better version of Trey Flowers
Saw him mocked to Oakland at #4, but I like your idea. I do think there's a chance he slides out of the top 10.

I think the key here is what the Cardinals do, and what the Giants do. If the Giants trade for Rosen we have a chance of getting either Haskins or Lock.
If the Giants draft a QB, we'll either have to trade up or settle for a later round QB.
The Broncos I think will pick Lock before we have a chance to.
The Giants are connected with virtually all the top quarterbacks including Jones, presumably with that #17 overall pick. I do wonder if Miami would take Jones at #13. I wouldn't love that pick, but I think it's possible.

I really want one of the Clemson D-Lineman in this draft. Our trenches on both sides of the ball are depleted. We need D and O Linemen like fish needs water.

I think it's very likely Miami trades down. All the draft capital they've aquired for 2020 seems like it's just the beginning of what they are looking to do. The Patriots were notorious for trading back to acquire picks. This could be the new norm in Miami? They'll be able to fill holes and potentially rebuild faster? .

Last edited:
I believe they will in the 2nd round at 48 select Will Grier from West Virginia. He is a damn good accurate QB over 66% completion rate and a beautiful deep ball. He can learn behind Fitz. At 13 we select a best available G. Those are my first two rounds.
Maybe I should watch more of him but I was under the impression that he lacks arm strength.

So more buying draft picks?

I love this way of operating. I mean, if we have the cap space for it and it doesnt jeopardize future cap, yes please.

Buying picks... I hate to sound like a dunce but until we started doing it I hadn't the slightest idea it was a thing.

It's a given to pay for them, right? Picks are scarce amd complicated to trade for. Pay for as many as them as you can, I say.
It's more common in other sports, to my mind the Osweiler trade last year was the first time it has so obviously happened in the NFL, where a team essentially gives away a draft pick jutst to get another team to take over a player's salary.

The other method is what we did with Tannehill and potentially will do with Quinn, paying part of a player's salary for the upcoming year the sweeten a trade for a draft pick.

Back
Top Bottom