Draft Scenario With Trades | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Scenario With Trades

ckparrothead said:
A lot goes into a trade these days.

This is my point. Moreso this year, teams at the top want to trade down, that drives down the price.

Taking KB's trade scenarios, this is what I would think is more likely this year

TB trades #5, #36, 2006 pick for #2 overall

Minn trades #7, #49 for #5 & 2006 day two pick

KC trades #46 to Miami for CB Surtain and #70

STL trades cond 2006 (for DT Zgonina)

This would leave Miami (with my expected picks)

1,7 - RB Cedric Benson (Texas)
2,36 - C Chris Spencer (Mississippi)
2,46 - DT Travis Johnson (Florida St)
2,49 - CB Corey Webster (LSU)
4,104 - LB Marcus Lawrence (So. Carolina)
5,138 - WR Brandon Jones (Oklahoma)
7,216 - FS Josh Bazinet (New Mexico) :D

Losman Deal Looks Good: When the Bills traded this year's first round pick, last year's 2nd and 5th to draft J.P. Losman it appeared on the surface they gave up a lot. If Losman is a bust that will be the case but looking at it today, as we prepare for another draft, it looks pretty good. Many experts, including ESPN's Chris Mortensen, say that if Losman was in this draft he would be the first QB taken. The Bills would have had the 20th pick in the draft if they didn't make the deal. They wouldn't have got a QB of Losman's potential with that pick. So right now it looks like another shrewd move by Donahoe. The real evaluation begins in September though

DOLFANMIKE said:
I can't believe the Bears arent trying to trade up to #2 overall. They have had a poor QB situation for years.

I think they'll give Rex Grossman at least one more year to make it happen. Remember, he's only got, what, 8 NFL starts under his belt?

Clumpy said:
This is my point. Moreso this year, teams at the top want to trade down, that drives down the price.

Taking KB's trade scenarios, this is what I would think is more likely this year

TB trades #5, #36, 2006 pick for #2 overall

Minn trades #7, #49 for #5 & 2006 day two pick

KC trades #46 to Miami for CB Surtain and #70

STL trades cond 2006 (for DT Zgonina)

This would leave Miami (with my expected picks)

1,7 - RB Cedric Benson (Texas)
2,36 - C Chris Spencer (Mississippi)
2,46 - DT Travis Johnson (Florida St)
2,49 - CB Corey Webster (LSU)
4,104 - LB Marcus Lawrence (So. Carolina)
5,138 - WR Brandon Jones (Oklahoma)
7,216 - FS Josh Bazinet (New Mexico) :D

You think it is fair value for arguable the best cover corner in the leage to give him up as well as a third round pick just for a second round pick? Duane Starks went for a third round pick, and Patrick Surtain is FAR better than Duane Starks. Surtain should command a first round pick as compenstation. It is not unrealistic to expect more than just a second round pick for one of the top 5 corners in the NFL.

NE traded the last pick in 3rd rd. Starks is signed thru 2006

Surtain wants market value contract AND as just recently been reported, Miami needs to trade him to free up cap space. This depresses his value somewhat.

What would it take for Miami to move from #70 to #46 (24 spots) if you used draft choices?

BTW: I would suspect that Surtain is no longer among the top 5 CBs in the league. If he was, why trade him? If he was, why hasn't a team snatched him up yet if the price is a 2nd rd pick in a weak draft year?

Many variables go into each trade.

Pats traded #2 to Cincy for Dillon

Miami traded #3 to Rams for Gordon

Cincy wanted to rid themselves of Dillon, thus the price paid was lower

Miami needed a RB and thus paid more for Gordon than they realistically should have.

What's Travis Henry's trade value? Whatever the Bills and another team agree to.

I suppose the question is WHEN did Chris Mortenson say that Losman is better than the two QBs. People change their minds, heck at one point Phil Rivers was thought to be a 3rd round QB...so I guess some Denver fans are probably trolling around San Diego boards talking about how experts view Rivers as a 3rd rounder, right?

Clumpy said:
Ok...criticize my trade scenarios....but what about my mock above?

I think the mock is pretty solid. I'd certainly be happy with that group.

Benson at #7 would be fine, assuming Brown isn't on the board.

I'd rather have David Bass at #36, considering he's likely to be there, but either he or Spencer would be an improvement over Turnstile McKinney.

I'd be dancing in the streets if Johnson was there at 46, but I don't think he will be. Antaaj Hawthorne is a better bet, IMHO, or maybe Luis Castillo, if he drops a bit (and I think he will).

That seems high for Corey Webster. It sounds like Saban is looking for smarter players, which Webster is not. I'd much rather have OLB Darryl Blackstock who would be very helpful in the eventual move to a 3-4. Webster might well fall to our 4th round pick.

David Greene's the man in round 4. If we're not taking Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers, I want Greene.

Rounds 5 and 7 are good. Gotta grab Baz in round 7. Great value. :)

Back
Top Bottom