Draft Thoughts/grade | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Thoughts/grade

dnr3131

Active Roster
Reaction score
What does everyone think??? Do you approve, do you hate, do you love what went down this weekend for our Miami Dolphins???

- First, regardless if you liked the draft, if your happy or not with the Rosen trade, you must give props to Greir for the maneuver for Rosen. Like many I thought Rosen could have been had for a 3rd, however; seems a couple of teams at the back end of the draft (Chargers/Pats) were poised to give up their second for Rosen. So, Grier played it perfectly, trading down and recouping that second for next years draft while still getting Rosen. It is a WIN-WIN for Miami, he is ultra cheap for 3 years, and look out if he can actually play and is our answer.
- Second, Wilkins is a safe pick, high character, high motor, everything you want in a player, should team up pretty nicely with Godchaux.
- Third, Did we draft a fulback? Thats right we did, this kids played virtually all the offensive skilled spots (RB, FB, TE, H-Back, Slot WR, I know H-Back includes all those positions, etc), seems like a perfect Bellicheat player. Their next pick, RB, another Billacheat player that this staff will NOT be afraid to give snaps to (super sleeper).
- OL, I believe Miami selected 2 O-Lineman that Miami will not be afraid to give the initial opportunity to. Michael Deiter, a player this staff believes they can plug and play at RG/LG/C (notice his versatility), Issiah Prince, a player that believe can replace James at RT. He started the last 3 years at that position, and oh yea, went against defensive end Nick Bosa on a daily basis which should have him ready.
Unlike our previous regimes, I believe Flores will not be afraid to put a Rook into the fire and give him a chance to fail.
- Finally, Does this fell like the Patriot way? I believe they were letting James go the whole time, knowing they would get a 3rd round pick in return while avoiding a big Pay Check. Billacheat has lived this model from the beginning. The players drafted all seem to be high character guys. Some drafted players may seem out of position, or lack this or that such as LBer Andrew Van Ginkel, most say he can not shed blocks as a LBer but has a knack for rushing the passer, well you can believe this staff will use him accordingly because of the flexibility this defense will employ. This staff has a plan and a vision for each regardless. Unlike previous staff - round peg/square hole.
-Extra, regardless of Rosen's outcome, the QB of future or not, he ULTRA cheap for 3 years. And, "IF" he turns out to be the guy, look at what 2020 lines up to be = boat load of picks and a boat load of money. We haven't been able to say that in a very very long time. And, "IF' he is not the guy, we have a great/cheap back-up QB and the amunition to go get one of the top 2020 QBs while adding some key FAs to surrond him.

Future hasn't been brighter for this Miami team (you think Gase would have been on board with these results, I bet so)...

I was dissapointed in the back half of the draft. A fullback and RB were not what we needed to improve in the areas we are deficient in.

Additionally, there were good and better players that were there for the taking during most picks, specifically in the 5th.

It is premature for anyone to be critical on how good the picks are going to be, but it isnt premature to see that the draft did not sufficiently address our areas of need.

Even if every player we chose becomes an all pro, which they wont, we will still have glaring holes that can cripple this team.

We have no defensive ends, a shabby oline with no depth, the worst linebackers in the nfl, and even more uncertainty at QB with no solution.

My biggest worry isnt Rosen, it is that we have 12 to 14 picks in 2020 and Chris Grier is going to pick a bunch of unspectacular players to fill this roster with.

Last edited:
Future hasn't been brighter for this Miami team (you think Gase would have been on board with these results, I bet so)...

I bet Gase wasn't too thrilled we got Rosen for pennies on the dollar.

He should't care but you know he does.

Honestly I've been thinking about it from a Cardinals fans point of view and I would be very scared and down right furious for the draft capital they lost in total on Josh Rosen. I'd be scared because Murray is probably the riskiest 1st overall pick in NFL history. The guy better be good or this will ruin Arizona for at least 5 years. Hes just so small....

I would much rather be in our shoes with Rosen then Arizona w Murray

Honestly I've been thinking about it from a Cardinals fans point of view and I would be very scared and down right furious for the draft capital they lost in total on Josh Rosen. I'd be scared because Murray is probably the riskiest 1st overall pick in NFL history. The guy better be good or this will ruin Arizona for at least 5 years. Hes just so small....

I would much rather be in our shoes with Rosen then Arizona w Murray
Not the riskiest QB compared to Jemarcus Russell but what they could have had to protect Rosen and build both sides of the line would have been special if they traded out of no.1

I was dissapointed in the back half of the draft. A fullback and RB were not what we needed to improve in the areas we are deficient in.

Additionally, there were good and better players that were there for the taking during most picks, specifically in the 5th.

It is premature for anyone to be critical on how good the picks are going to be, but it isnt premature to see that the draft did not sufficiently address our areas of need.

Even if every player we chose becomes an all pro, which they wont, we will still have glaring holes that can cripple this team.

We have no defensive ends, a shabby oline with no depth, the worst linebackers in the nfl, and even more uncertainty at QB with no solution.

My biggest worry isnt Rosen, it is that we have 12 to 14 picks in 2020 and Chris Grier is going to pick a bunch of unspectacular players to fill this roster with.

You're really out here wondering why we didn't draft need spots in ROUND 7.

Lol.

Once you get out of round 3, you're arguing below average to the next below average player. Pointless.

I dont believe in draft grades. That's kinda saying you know the future.

Way too early to tell -- but we all know what the HR (A++) is based on. My take =

R1 Christian Wilkins DL Clemson - day 1 starter (very solid/safe pick)

R2 Josh Rosen QB - high value potential legit NFL QB (significant upside)

R3 Michael Deiter OL Wisconsin - should challenge to start (relatively solid/safe pick)

*R5 Andrew Van Ginkel LB Wisconsin - situational role (with developmental upside)

R6 Isaiah Prince T Ohio State - boom or bust (significant upside) Perhaps our highest risk selection.

*R7 Chandler Cox RB Auburn - contributing role player (could see immediate limited action)

*R7 Myles Gaskin RB Washington - contributing role player (should see spot action)

*Potential high value pick

WAG grade = C- to A++ Tentative average B with significant upside.

BNF

Notable UDFAs =

Terrill Hanks OLB New Mexico State
Nik Needham CB UTEP
Jonathan Ledbetter DE 3-4DE, Georgia
Deion Calhoun, OL, Mississippi State
Preston Williams WR Colorado State

I really liked this draft. Wilkins and Rosen promise to be major building blocks for this team.
Let's face it, Getting Rosen after the trade down was a MAJOR steal and Wilkins promises to be team captain by next year. Two picks, two potential stars in the making.
I really liked the Deiter pick as well. I had seen him ranked as highly as 2nd or 3rd on the pure Guard lists, and let's be honest, our Guard play ineptitude has been a problem for almost a decade.
Having no 4th pick was certainly tempered by the extra number 2 we will have next year, so I have zero problems with that as few 4th rounders play right away anyway.
Rip Van Winkle in the 5th was also a nice pick. A pure run and chase OLB that can be sent on Kamikaze blitzes may mitigate our weakness at DE. In any event, by the 5th round, there are no Edge players of worth left on the board.
Prince in the 6th is hard to hate. Hell, he looks more likely than Sterup.
A honest to God fullback and a 3rd RB when we only had 2 on the roster with stab picks in the 7th. SURE... why not?

Give the draft a grade?

A in design, incomplete in results. No one knows how these guys will perform. Anyone who says they do... well, they ain't so bright.

Reactions: Jed
I don’t love our draft although I do like the trade for Rosen. I felt that with so many needs we could have moved around more and done better job fulfilling them.

I don’t get paid the big bucks to evaluate players or our needs but I’ll throw my thoughts out there.

R1 Wilkins, like the player but at this point I’m not sure where he plays. Assuming we are switching to a 3-4 (our offseason acquisitions point to it) we are desperate for 3-4 Ends. I know Wilkins played some there but it’s certainly not his true position.

If they do move to a 3-4 then taking a player at 13 and essentially changing his position raises concerns for me.

The other issue is if they intended to trade draft capital for Rosen then I would have thought trading back for additional picks would have been smarter.

R3-Dieter, ok player, who by all accounts got owned at the Senior Bowl, but we are desperate for a RT. Maybe this suggests Davis moving to Tackle.

R5-Van Ginkel, WTF pick. Obviously a scheme fit but hard to imagine we needed to spend a 5th on him.

R6-Prince, finally a RT but opinions are all over the place but mostly not good. Maybe he develops but would be a major surprise if he contributed at all this year.

R7-Cox and Gaskins. It’s the 7th round so who cares but a player like Cox you could find as an UDFA. Gaskins I can’t see how he gets touches and he doesn’t currently help on Special Teams.

You're really out here wondering why we didn't draft need spots in ROUND 7.

Lol.

Once you get out of round 3, you're arguing below average to the next below average player. Pointless.

We have 12 picks next year. Should we draft 5 punters in the 7th because they are the best?

How can we improve deficient areas if they are not addressed? Instead of taking a risk on an O lineman we take a risk on a fullback and runningback. Even they are all-pros we still suck as a team. Drafting like that is truly pointless.

You people must think we are going to hit on every pick next year. We have to at this point to not be a complete **** show again.

Back
Top Bottom