draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

draft

skippysphins

its all about winning !
Reaction score
what is the overall concensus of what we should use our first pick #90 for ?i say it will be te or guard possibly a de unless the de is adressed before the draft .
if it is going to be a te i would love to see jerramy stevens or randy mcmichael both are very athelic te can catch and block .
if it guard we go after there will be a few good ones there here are my choices eric heitmann ed ta amu or bibla all decent to good guards
but center may be the best catch at that pick all of the top 3 choices may be there at 90 so it could pick bentley fowlers or mckinney so what is the choice give me your ideas

Well, it seems Wanny and Co. feel good about Troy Andrews, so I have my doubts that we'll draft a C with our first pick (Even though McKinney sounds like a great pick at that spot).

We might still add a LB with our first pick, but I doubt we will now with the addition of Galyon.

G and T are positions to look out. The same goes for a DE and TE.

Here's something I want to add that probably nobody else is going to bring up: If someone like Michael Lewis (i.e., a good safety who has dropped) is still available, do not be surprised if we pick him. We need a dime CB, and although it sounds ridiculous picking up a S in the third with the good secondary we have, who thought we would have picked up Fletcher last year with our first pick? With the addition of a high-quality S in the third round, on third downs we could use him at S and move Freeman to the dime position, or vice-versa. It would be a good addition if we landed a top guy who can compete with Freeman for the starting SS spot in camp.

All in all, it's tough to predict what we're going to do. Heck, we might even drop back.

S is one of the "boring" positions. Nobody knows what will happen on draft day.

Heck, we got Minor last year in the third, and we didn't think he would drop that far. Same goes with Greenwood. I know Chambers was a second round pick, but he too should have been picked A LOT earlier. Heck, he would have been a top ten pick if the scouts knew he would adjust to the NFL so well.

There are a lot of good safties in the draft. If Lewis fell to us, I would get really pissed off if we passed on him. I still like JOAQUIN!

S is the #1 position I would not draft - reasons:
  1. Marion - L/T contract
  2. Freeman - L/T contract
  3. Wooden
  4. Gamble
  5. McGarrahan
  6. Sheilds
    [/list=1]

With Dixon's health as well as that the uncertainty of Searcy, Smith and Sprigg's, we must go with a OG or OT; unless we get Blake, then we can opt for:
    • DE to replace Mixon/Lo Bro
    • still need another OG
    • a TE with enough talent to block and catch
    • a CB since we have only 4 though I doubt that since Wanne would get such heat after Fletch

I agree the LB should wait til round 5 or so since we have 7 guys on the roster with experience.

Gamble and McGarrahan are almost exclusively special teams players. I don't know if Wooden will be able to compete with Freeman for the SS position. Wooden hasn't played too well the past two seasons.

If a top S drops to us, I think we should nab him. That is assuming that we have that S rated ahead of all other players at G, T, and DE. Maybe even LB and TE, too.

Originally posted by Blitz
Gamble and McGarrahan are almost exclusively special teams players. I don't know if Wooden will be able to compete with Freeman for the SS position. Wooden hasn't played too well the past two seasons.

Wooden is primarily the backup. McGarrahan signed a 3 year contract so he's the 'backup' guy now officially. Gamble is the 4th corner now. We will probably pick up a guy after the draft like we did with Cousins/Porter and probably pick up another guy after June 1st.

skippysphins:
McMichael isn't a very good blocking TE at all, he may be in a few years, but right now he is no better than Weaver. he has real potential, but wouldn't contribute much this season. 233 lbs TE.

Bilba and Gonzalez will almost definately both be 2 day picks. They will be there in the 4th and maybe 5th rounds, no need to reach at all.

A player always falls for one reason or another, so I say wait until we are on the clock to see what value is there and select the best player. NO REACHING!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
skippysphins:
McMichael isn't a very good blocking TE at all, he may be in a few years, but right now he is no better than Weaver. he has real potential, but wouldn't contribute much this season. 233 lbs TE.

Bilba and Gonzalez will almost definately both be 2 day picks. They will be there in the 4th and maybe 5th rounds, no need to reach at all.

A player always falls for one reason or another, so I say wait until we are on the clock to see what value is there and select the best player. NO REACHING!!!!!!!!!!
if that's the case may be should we trade down into the top of Rd 4 :rolleyes:

And no we do not need a safety :yell: Freeman and Marion are an excellent S combo IMO

I agree. It would be great picking up both Bibla and Gonzalez. If we trade down, we can pick up perhaps an extra late rounder. I still think we should draft Dorsch and cut Royals. He can punt very well and can kick too if necessary.

I'm still not sold on Freeman. If there's a top safety available who should have went in the second, we should get em.

What has Freeman done that convinces you he makes an excellent S combo with Brock?

Originally posted by Blitz
What has Freeman done that convinces you he makes an excellent S combo with Brock?
he had the safety job last year until we lucked into get Brock back; and he has looked good whenever he's been out there - at least as good as most teams' Ss

Back
Top Bottom