Drafting At 13 Vs Future Contract Extension: Question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting At 13 Vs Future Contract Extension: Question

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
OK, Since things are kind of slow:
So I saw a mock earlier today that had us taking Jawaan Taylor at 13 and then right after Oliver DT went to Falcons at 14.
So this is what I wondered:
Considering we need both OL and DL, do we want to be wary of taking an OT at 13, even though he is the best player, considering we have an impending big time contract extension coming for Tunsil, and if Taylor would work out it would be another big time extension for an O-lineman while Tunsil would still likely be on his deal?
OR
Do you ALWAYS take the best player available, and worry about future contracts when the time comes?
I have a pretty good idea of what the answer should be, but it is always interesting to see a variety of opinions.

In this case Jawann Taylor could be considered the BPA and would be a huge upgrade over Juwann James. It be a tough call IMHO but one I'd love to have. Taylor is a RT, so I wouldn't think drafting him would have any bearing on what Miami does with Laremy Tunsil. Tunsil plays LT and is considered a Long Term type player. Taylor shouldn't affect Tunsil in any way shape or form.

Taylor would be signing a 4+1 year deal. By they time his rookie contract expires Tunsil may still be worth keeping on his second deal or could of had a freak injury like Jake Long or just declined earlier than expected.

I wouldn't worry about it. 5 years is a long time in the NFL. Worry about getting a good to great player first and foremost that fits into what you want to do on offense or defense.

Having a stud at LT and RT would be great if they ever could get a good QB.

I don't think it'd matter but drafting a RT at 13 would be the Dolphins doing the same kind of crap they've been doing for the last 20 years. Not saying a RT is not important cause it is but with all the holes this team has, specially with no real starting DE's once Quinn is gone RT at 13 would make no sense. If a RT was the last piece to a great o-line/team then fine, go for it. I'm not even on board drafting O-line in the first round but if we're going to do that then move back and get some extra picks before you go O-line and yes, I'm very aware that we need to fix the O-line.

I don't think it'd matter but drafting a RT at 13 would be the Dolphins doing the same kind of crap they've been doing for the last 20 years. Not saying a RT is not important cause it is but with all the holes this team has, specially with no real starting DE's once Quinn is gone RT at 13 would make no sense. If a RT was the last piece to a great o-line/team then fine, go for it. I'm not even on board drafting O-line in the first round but if we're going to do that then move back and get some extra picks before you go O-line and yes, I'm very aware that we need to fix the O-line.
I'd like to give your post many "likes", but I can't. Yeah, especially in that top 15 range, taking a RT isn't where the value is. QB, DE, CB & maybe a DT should be where the resources go this high on the board. JMO of course.

In this case Jawann Taylor could be considered the BPA and would be a huge upgrade over Juwann James. It be a tough call IMHO but one I'd love to have. Taylor is a RT, so I wouldn't think drafting him would have any bearing on what Miami does with Laremy Tunsil. Tunsil plays LT and is considered a Long Term type player. Taylor shouldn't affect Tunsil in any way shape or form.

Taylor hasn't played one NFL down since he's a huge upgrade over James?

So, if it came down to Oliver vs Taylor at 13, and no trade down available, what do you do?
And is Dexter Lawrence worthy of taking that high?

I don't think it should matter going into the draft unless you are drafting at the exact same position with an eye to replacing someone down the line. Draft Talent first work out the money later.

As much as I really want to see this administration fix the OL I would eye this draft with the thought that if my QB1 isn't available I would move down and If that Opportunity wasn't there I would look at DL in the first and OL in the 3rd to 5th.

The other player mentioned was a DT.....are you also of the opinion that drafting a DT at 14 is also not a value pick? I am.

If we are not getting Haskins, who I’m hoping for, I’d rather take one of the top DTs or in a dream scenario Devin White somehow slips to us like Minkah did.

The other player mentioned was a DT.....are you also of the opinion that drafting a DT at 14 is also not a value pick? I am.
I'd rather have a pass rushing DE at that spot if we stay there but of those two, I'd take Oliver and it's not even close.

They should draft for need. But they should draft an elite player at a position of need, that is thin in the draft. The player must be an elite talent, and the offering in the draft must thin out quickly -- cannot get an equivalent later in the draft.

I thought of taking a T at 13, but that position is not thin in this draft.
Talent at 34OLB like Burns and Sweat won't be available later, and that is who they should draft at 13 if they do go for a QB.

As far as future contracts, they can take a tackle later and hedge against risks. Even better is to plan for it. For example, if Tunsil is scheduled to be very expensive, they should trade him, get a pick or picks, and get a new T.

OK, Since things are kind of slow:
So I saw a mock earlier today that had us taking Jawaan Taylor at 13 and then right after Oliver DT went to Falcons at 14.
So this is what I wondered:
Considering we need both OL and DL, do we want to be wary of taking an OT at 13, even though he is the best player, considering we have an impending big time contract extension coming for Tunsil, and if Taylor would work out it would be another big time extension for an O-lineman while Tunsil would still likely be on his deal?
OR
Do you ALWAYS take the best player available, and worry about future contracts when the time comes?
I have a pretty good idea of what the answer should be, but it is always interesting to see a variety of opinions.

I love Oliver as a player...hell, he was the only reason I would turn on a Houston game. I think he has the making of being one of the most dynamic DT in the NFL with his explosion and his athletic ability that would put him in the top 25% of linebackers. If he is there, I just don't see how you could pass him up.

With that said, I know the offensive line is in shambles and this franchise plans on bringing in a QB next year. I think you need to give him the best line possible so he can have success out the gate. For the Dolphins...an o-lineman me very well be BPA.

I could be wrong but I’m not sure Ed Oliver or Devin White fit the prototype the new regime might follow.

In my opinion there is not a player we MUST have at 13. Trade down and pick up solid players.

Back
Top Bottom