Drafting For Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting For Defense

BSQ

Scout Team
Club Member
Reaction score
What if we go into this draft thinking we can add some great defensive pieces in the draft, combine them with our existing keepers on D and build a fearsome defense. It might be an interesting way to go in this defense heavy draft. I did a mock with this in mind. I was trying to get the best defensive player on the board in the first 4 rounds.

This was it- Round 1-Brian Burns, Round 2-Chase Winovich, Round 3-Gerald Willis, Round 4-Joe Giles Harris. That's 2 elite edge players, one mike LBer and a huge DL prospect from the U of Miami. That's a lot of help for the front 7 right away.

In round 5 I saw nothing better than taking a shot at a QB, so Will Grier QB W. Virginia Round 6- I had to draft o-line here so Phil Haynes, a 4 year starter from Wake Forest, he'll be a guard. Round 7 had Elijah Holyfield sitting there so I made the pick. He could be a steal here in the 7th.

If the mind set is to fortify the defense I believe this draft can really do that for you.

I still think OLine is far an away the biggest priority, but the Pat's have a history of finding lower round talent on the OLine that has been successful, this is a very good draft to solidify the defense early, as long as they can find some OLine help later rounds.

As bad as our oline and dline Play with better QB. Dolphins still could made playoff. So is it line play, QB or coaching. Everybody keep saying. We had bad oline/dline. How do we keep winning 6 to 8 games yr. If that case. To me we should be one of bottom team in NFL. Instead we are middle of pact team. Yes we do need up grade but I don't think dolphins was that bad on oline/ dline. Poor coaching.

Reactions: BSQ
I like this approach. Would be happier with a stud CB somewhere along the way but beefing up the defense in this draft sounds good

Reactions: BSQ
As bad as our oline and dline Play with better QB. Dolphins still could made playoff. So is it line play, QB or coaching. Everybody keep saying. We had bad oline/dline. How do we keep winning 6 to 8 games yr. If that case. To me we should be one of bottom team in NFL. Instead we are middle of pact team. Yes we do need up grade but I don't think dolphins was that bad on oline/ dline. Poor coaching.

This is what a number of us have been saying. Around 7-8 wins/yr with what some call trash or a team with no talent and with poor HC/OC/DC. Both of those can't be true. I'm not arguing Miami has playoff talent, but better talent than some admit.

To me, this year depends on Flores and staff and a good draft. Yes, there are a few positions that need significant upgrades and, like all teams, many positions could be upgrade, but worst in league? No

What if we go into this draft thinking we can add some great defensive pieces in the draft, combine them with our existing keepers on D and build a fearsome defense. It might be an interesting way to go in this defense heavy draft. I did a mock with this in mind. I was trying to get the best defensive player on the board in the first 4 rounds.

This was it- Round 1-Brian Burns, Round 2-Chase Winovich, Round 3-Gerald Willis, Round 4-Joe Giles Harris. That's 2 elite edge players, one mike LBer and a huge DL prospect from the U of Miami. That's a lot of help for the front 7 right away.

In round 5 I saw nothing better than taking a shot at a QB, so Will Grier QB W. Virginia Round 6- I had to draft o-line here so Phil Haynes, a 4 year starter from Wake Forest, he'll be a guard. Round 7 had Elijah Holyfield sitting there so I made the pick. He could be a steal here in the 7th.

If the mind set is to fortify the defense I believe this draft can really do that for you.
I think 48 is too early for Winovich. Grier on the other hand won't last that long. He could be going in round 2. I like Burns and Willis tho but I don't we skip O-line. I'm pretty sure at the latest we'll draft o-line in the 3rd round.

I think Miami is closer on defense than offense, which isn't probably saying a lot. But, if the team went pass rusher back-to-back in the first and the second and hit on both the defense could be decent to good. I like the Dolphins secondary and there is some young talent with Baker and McMillan at linebacker. The DT's are at least serviceable. Miami has no talent whatsoever at defensive end.

That said, the team has to prepare for a franchise quarterback in 2020. The last thing you want is a young quarterback coming into a situation where the team can't pass protect, has questions at running back and really no dominant wide receiver. Think about the keepers on offense. It's really only Laremy Tunsil.

So maybe that means loading up on offensive lineman early and perhaps finding a running back who can compete with Kenyon Drake, who I still think has a chance to be a really good back.

It becomes even more interesting if the Dolphins take a quarterback in the first round this year. I've seen recent mocks with Dwayne Haskins falling and keep reading that NFL scouts like Daniel Jones more than media scouts. Perhaps both of those quarterbacks are on Miami's radar and if the Dolphins go that route, I expect the draft to be mostly offense early.

This is what a number of us have been saying. Around 7-8 wins/yr with what some call trash or a team with no talent and with poor HC/OC/DC. Both of those can't be true. I'm not arguing Miami has playoff talent, but better talent than some admit.

To me, this year depends on Flores and staff and a good draft. Yes, there are a few positions that need significant upgrades and, like all teams, many positions could be upgrade, but worst in league? No

Kinda believe 3-5 wins is almost a given -- and depending on draft impact and the great unknown of our 1st year HC and staff, it would seem possible to add another win or 2. That said, 7-9 would seem the top end and 3-13 the bottom. Split the middle and we probably go 5-11. Good enough for a top 10 pick, but prob not in the top 3-5 range, which is where we really need to be based on the dream scenario so many want.

In terms of the draft -- I'm torn between wanting OL emphasis, D emphasis, or a balance! I could easily see our first 2 pick on DL followed by 2 OL and then the balance with DB and [whatever is left with the best potential impact]. In my view -- we do NOT grab a QB -- tho I'm sure theres a chance somewhere in R4-R5.

If we go all in with D this draft then we'll be banking on some UDFA on OL and looking forward to major correction in 2020. That would potentially make us a pain in the a$$ to play -- because we'll have some dogs on D that can get after folks and (assuming the coaching level I anticipate) a scheme that frustrates/confuses. Our 2019 O will limp along and struggle to score allowing us to look feisty as team but no winning a lot.

2020 = QB and OL + additional tweaks.

Great comments from all! I also, while doing the mock was thinking about CB and o-line but you can't plug all the holes in the dyke in one draft but we can do a lot of good. The next mock I tried had Haskins falling right to us at #13 so, of course, I picked him. Also, as said above, the NE model is to find quality o-linemen in the middle rounds of the draft. If we can just hit on some o-line it would be great. I predict that unless a stud QB that we like falls our way we're going to go Edge or DL in round 1 and 2. I guy I just love in this draft is Garrett Bradbury but he's probably gone by #25 and we're just not going to pick a Center at #13. We could pick Sweat for example and then try and trade back into the first to get Bradbury. He'd be such a great piece for the team to add but pivot just isn't in the top 5 pressing needs. I'd love to build the new o-line around Tunsil and a guy like Bradbury. The interior of our line has been garbage for too long, way too long. Hopefully, the new gang of coaches have some answers, Gase sure didn't.

Kinda believe 3-5 wins is almost a given -- and depending on draft impact and the great unknown of our 1st year HC and staff, it would seem possible to add another win or 2. That said, 7-9 would seem the top end and 3-13 the bottom. Split the middle and we probably go 5-11. Good enough for a top 10 pick, but prob not in the top 3-5 range, which is where we really need to be based on the dream scenario so many want.

In terms of the draft -- I'm torn between wanting OL emphasis, D emphasis, or a balance! I could easily see our first 2 pick on DL followed by 2 OL and then the balance with DB and [whatever is left with the best potential impact]. In my view -- we do NOT grab a QB -- tho I'm sure theres a chance somewhere in R4-R5.

If we go all in with D this draft then we'll be banking on some UDFA on OL and looking forward to major correction in 2020. That would potentially make us a pain in the a$$ to play -- because we'll have some dogs on D that can get after folks and (assuming the coaching level I anticipate) a scheme that frustrates/confuses. Our 2019 O will limp along and struggle to score allowing us to look feisty as team but no winning a lot.

Agree. Based on no evidence, if, for example, Miami does get their target DT and DE, it wouldn't surprise me they try for a pretty good CB to get the D in pretty good shape. No one will no til post draft and the late cuts. I keep going back to the last three games of '18. No sane person can say all three losses were due to no talent. Those games were some of the worst coaching I've see in a long time.

Let's be realistic. Some are saying, to some degree correctly, Miami could upgrade a number of positions. However, everyone knows that won't/can't happen. I would be very interested to see everyone's top 3 need priorities. For example, I'd give priority to DE over LB.

QB is this teams #1 need. We have very little proven talent on the Edge and DL is a bit thin. Did I mention o-line? CB?

Plus, I think you have to factor in how the team is winning and playing overall. Miami got blown out in a lot of games last year and tended to win close games that could have gone either way.

Even though the Dolphins won 7 games last year, it could easily have been 3 or 4.

This team lacks talent. Let's not pretend it doesn't.

I think 48 is too early for Winovich. Grier on the other hand won't last that long. He could be going in round 2. I like Burns and Willis tho but I don't we skip O-line. I'm pretty sure at the latest we'll draft o-line in the 3rd round.

Analysts have started mocking Winovich in the first round, too.

Wow, I haven't seen that anywhere yet. Then again I've already seen 18 players that are going in the top 12....lol

He might not be the most physically impressive player, but I love what I see when I watch him. The effort and ability are all there. And he's produced solid numbers.

Not sure how he'd fit our scheme but I'd love him on the team.

Back
Top Bottom