Drafting For Defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting For Defense

Whatever site you drafted from needs to be updated as we currently do not have a 6th round pick, it was traded with RT17 to the Titans.

Like your first 4 picks, personally would go Rypien in 5th, look at specific special teams guys with picks 233 and 234....TE, LB, OT, OG

Reactions: BSQ
Analysts have started mocking Winovich in the first round, too.
If Winovich goes 1st round, it because there has been a run on DE's early, and somone will panic in the late 20's and grab him. Not saying he isnt good, but there is more talent across the board in front of him. I think he will go 1st 10 in 2nd round.

If Winovich goes 1st round, it because there has been a run on DE's early, and somone will panic in the late 20's and grab him. Not saying he isnt good, but there is more talent across the board in front of him. I think he will go 1st 10 in 2nd round.

For sure.

I think he's a second round player but he may get overdrafted. Or a team may fall in love with him.

RE Winovich -- it's hard to ignore the dudes motor + tenacity = production

in reality what's the big (highly subjective) difference between say pick #22

and #36? If a team really likes this dude and you know it's likely he's

coming off the board soon -- then you grab him.

I think teams that tend to draft well have established convictions on

certain players and they stand by them. That said I can easily see this kid

getting grabbed R1. Actually he's my fantasy pick for us R2. Tho it seems

to be less and less likely...

i said it before, i would go full on DL and LB this draft, and build a formidable D for years to come this year, next year draft our QB and the OL maybe a RB. year 3 draft B.A.P. and maybe fill in with a game changing Free Agent and voila ! we are contenders again!! the fins will be in a really good cap situation along with a young and solid team. with a front office that knows what they are doing...

I still think OLine is far an away the biggest priority, but the Pat's have a history of finding lower round talent on the OLine that has been successful, this is a very good draft to solidify the defense early, as long as they can find some OLine help later rounds.
The Pats don't have a draft strategy for Olineman... they just have the best Oline coach that's ever existed in Dante Scarnecchia. He retired for one year and their offense was a mess and Brady was getting pounded. He unretired and their line was all of a sudden really good again with basically guys off the street. They routinely lose their tackles to big free agency contracts every year and you never hear from those guys again.

Whatever they do is not going to work for any other team.

The Pats don't have a draft strategy for Olineman... they just have the best Oline coach that's ever existed in Dante Scarnecchia. He retired for one year and their offense was a mess and Brady was getting pounded. He unretired and their line was all of a sudden really good again with basically guys off the street. They routinely lose their tackles to big free agency contracts every year and you never hear from those guys again.

A good lesson for those who judge a team by players, but ignore coaches.

I agree with your basic premise that we will be stocking up on defense, and that it is a good idea. the one caveat I would say is that we should be taking 2 or 3 OL as well. This draft may lack elite talent at the top along the OL, but it is stuffed with lots of good mid and late round OL prospects. IMHO, we have an opportunity to rebuild both lines, and should take that opportunity.

I agree that Scarnecchia is great, and that helps immensely.

But I disagree about their strategy. The Patriots employ a very comprehensive strategy, and it looks like this.

1. Trade back into future drafts or down in rounds and acquire more draft picks to get more cracks at the apple.
2. Shuttle in lots of prospects along the OL, not wasting much if any time developing players with potential, but instead developing whomever is the best producer now. It makes for a less spectacular but incrementally better OL.
3. Don't wait on prospects … get as many through as you can and size them up quickly. If they don't respond and develop quickly, then let them go and look for someone else.
4. Make sure you have good tackles, and if that means using a 1st round pick on tackles, you do it.
5. Prioritize guys with good technique and who make less mistakes and then let the scheme carry people. Don't over-value a trait (length, quickness, etc.) or potential, instead look for guys who plug the role consistently.
6. Target guys who do everything well, not guys who are exceptional in one area (e.g. guys who can run block and pass protect solidly rather than great pass protectors).
7. Draft/recruit guys with high mental aptitude and a strong willingness to study film and the playbook outside of practice, so the scheme execution level is high even if the blocking isn't dominant.
8. Plan for guys getting old and trade/release them before they break down and while they still have trade value or save you cap numbers.
9. Find guys who are willing to learn, and leverage your exceptional OL coach.
10. Don't look for all-pros, you can't afford to keep them. Instead look for guys who do the job consistently and stay healthy.

I'd argue that every one of those things is the opposite of how the Dolphins have approached the OL in the recent past. The contrast is stark. I've been a long-time proponent of the Patriots' OL strategy, as it seems to make the most sense in this era of free agency, short and limited practice time mandated by the CBA, rules favoring passing which lead to ultra-quick/fast defenses that do not defend the run well, and the salary cap that makes re-signing budding stars difficult.

IMHO, the Patriots "get it" when understanding how to build an OL. I'm very excited to bring that approach to Miami.

I agree Digital, in my original mock that I was using as an example I only snagged one o-lineman. After losing James that's not going to be nearly enough. BTW, excellent break down on the Pats mind set. Hopefully, some of that intelligence came south with the Patriots coaches we managed to acquire! I feel better about our coaching than I have in a while. Gase had too many flaws and too much ego. This group has veterans, current SB winners and tons more head coaching experience on staff. Scouting has been amazingly upgraded so let's hope they find us some gems in this upcoming draft.

I think the fan base needs something to be excited about. Ross still has to sell seats. That's why I think we might make a move to get a blue chip QB. The team needs a new star to feed to their marketing people.

With just 7 picks 2 in the 7th round you are looking at 5 dudes who will hopefully make our very weak roster. I expect 2 DE in the first 4 rounds for sure along with at least 2 oline thru round 5. A DT would make sense. From there maybe a CD and RB in round 7.

I will also add if these first 5 picks do not make our roster this year I will be really worried about our future under Grier and Florres

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom