Drafting Good, But Injured Players | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting Good, But Injured Players

Move all the way down to 25 for a late second? **** no.

I dont like the drafting a player with a torn ACL part, but if I can drop to low 20's in round 1 to gain a low 2nd round for free I'm doing it. Even if it's for a 2020 2nd.

I dont like the drafting a player with a torn ACL part, but if I can drop to low 20's in round 1 to gain a low 2nd round for free I'm doing it. Even if it's for a 2020 2nd.

But you're not getting it for free, you're passing on far better odds of landing a star for what is typically mediocre or potential stars who have significant injuries and/or beat women. That's a pretty significant cost.

But you're not getting it for free, you're passing on far better odds of landing a star for what is typically mediocre or potential stars who have significant injuries and/or beat women. That's a pretty significant cost.

We need bodies.

1st off all our major players would be off the board at #13 for it to be considered.

2nd Iooking at the trade calculator. The #13 is worth 1150 and just say Eagles were the trade partner the 25th + 57th = 1050 So realistically the Eagles would have to throw us a bone to balance off the last 100.

We need bodies.

1st off all our major players would be off the board at #13 for it to be considered.

2nd Iooking at the trade calculator. The #13 is worth 1150 and just say Eagles were the trade partner the 25th + 57th = 1050 So realistically the Eagles would have to throw us a bone to balance off the last 100.

We have "bodies." We have bodies every year. They just happen to be mediocre at best. Kinda like what you find with those picks. What we need is good players.

As for major players being off the board, it's unlikely, particularly if Lock goes too early. Take this mock draft for example. If we pass on Devin White for that trade, Grier and Flores can **** right off.

Regarding the trade calculator, sorry, I've never cared about that stuff. Seems to be nothing more than fodder for those who want to trade down every year, regardless of where we're picking.

It's a tough call. On the one side, like Bill Parcells is always preaching, "The most important ability is availability" so guys like Josh Sitton--great player--just didn't help the team enough missing 15 of 16 games. We once drafted a good OL, Joe Toledo, who literally bounced from injury to injury and was never available … his NFL career without even playing a snap I think. Not a good draft pick.

One draft in particular stands out, Dolphins football Czar Bill Parcells passed on Rob Gronkowski because he was a massive injury risk recovering from a year long back injury, and wasn't even fully healthy yet. Instead we went with the safer pick, Koa Misi, who ended up being injured a lot and missing tons of games. So, you just never know about injuries.

My thought is that each year you should probably take a chance on one or two injured guys, either through the draft, or FA, or via the waiver wire. Salary caps can absorb a couple, and sometimes the rewards can be huge. But, you can't roll the dice on 10 guys, because you're bound to have holes in your lineup. As a rebuilding team, I'm less willing to roll the dice on veterans. So, it's more likely to be cuts and UDFA's where I take a chance on an injured guy. No worries if he sits all year on the training table, because this isn't going to be our year anyway. Guys with talent like Jaylon Smith or Marquis (sp?) Lattimore that require high'ish draft picks aren't really guys we should be targeting right now. But at the low end, sure.

Then when we build the core of the team … we can take chances higher.

Depends on the nature of the injury. Football is extremely physical and many players find themselves with something they have to let heal. If it's persistent and nagging then I'd generally say it's due to a physical or mechanical problem with the player. Let the conditioning staff watch tape to see if it's mechanical. If it is then I'd feel safe drafting them. If it ends up being physical then stay away.

If it's a one time fluke injury check the doctors reports on it. Clean bill of health, move forward with them.

I would never draft two injuries though. Pec and triceps tears are no good. In many instances they signal steroid misuse which will make their tendons more likely for injury later. Also, pec and triceps tears are brutal to recover fully from in my experience .

Not early, but potentially late. Miami has made mistakes drafting injury prone players early like Parker and Pouncey.

I hear your point, but I am not a fan of taking guys off major injuries at all. This team needs to start hitting doubles in rounds 1 and 2 for the next 3 years. No more boom or bust players.

Back
Top Bottom