Drafting of Travis Daniels | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting of Travis Daniels

Dolfan1000

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
I remember when we first drafted him, a lot of you were angry because we drafted a corner, which was certainly not a position of need at the time. You also called this a "Homer Pick", with Saban grabbing a guy he knew, even though there were better players out there. NOW, I realize hindsight is 20/20, BUT, arent you glad we have this corner who knows the system now? I mean, can you imagine our corner depth without Daniels at this point?

Madison
Howard
Edwards
_______
_______

Ew. I am far more comfortable with a guy who Saban knows, and therefore a guy that knows this sytem very well, inserted in there.

Just an observation I wanted to make, because I actually liked the Daniels pick while many of you were calling for Nick's head. He will be a big part of this team this year. Bank on it.

I did figure that Saban would draft somebody on defense from his team to help the other guys out. I am glad that we got Daniels because he can play both FS and CB for us.

But the point is that not only will he be good, but our depth at corner was not as good as a lot of us thought. One injury, and right now we are damn happy we have Travis on board. And the fact that he knows the system will also be a plus, in helping teach either a new guy that is brought in (Law, McQuarters, TBuck...) or the existing guys like Sam and Reggie.

Dolfan1000 said:
I remember when we first drafted him, a lot of you were angry because we drafted a corner, which was certainly not a position of need at the time. You also called this a "Homer Pick", with Saban grabbing a guy he knew, even though there were better players out there. NOW, I realize hindsight is 20/20, BUT, arent you glad we have this corner who knows the system now? I mean, can you imagine our corner depth without Daniels at this point?

Madison
Howard
Edwards
_______
_______

Ew. I am far more comfortable with a guy who Saban knows, and therefore a guy that knows this sytem very well, inserted in there.

Just an observation I wanted to make, because I actually liked the Daniels pick while many of you were calling for Nick's head. He will be a big part of this team this year. Bank on it.

There were many people who liked the pick and as far as I'm concerned, there was no player scouted better than Daniels so, I think the pick was probably the safest one Saban made.

However, neither you nor I are proven correct at this point and making a post calling people wrong for disliking the pick, doesn't mean we're right.

Daniels is just like any other pick, unkown in the NFL. Maybe he'll be good maybe he won't. No one knows yet.

I'll admit that I was sort of "hmmmm........." when he picked him up on the "homer pick" basis. I really didn't know anything about him, positive or negative, it just made me a little suspicious.

Since then, I've read quite a bit on the LSU boards that the guy is a playmaker and the doubting fin fans are going to be eating crow after we see what he can do. I hope they're correct.

inFINSible said:
There were many people who liked the pick and as far as I'm concerned, there was no player scouted better than Daniels so, I think the pick was probably the safest one Saban made.

However, neither you nor I are proven correct at this point and making a post calling people wrong for disliking the pick, doesn't mean we're right.

Daniels is just like any other pick, unkown in the NFL. Maybe he'll be good maybe he won't. No one knows yet.

You're missing the point. I am not saying that it was a good/bad pick, and I am not saying that anyone was right or wrong. What I am saying, is that I find it humorous that we were all nice and comfy with our CB depth, that we were somewhat confused when we drafted one early on day two, and now it looks like it was a great move, purely from a depth standpoint. I am not saying Daniels is great or anything, but Im saying that Nick had the vision and saw that our depth at corner was one injury away from being suspect, where many of us didnt look quite that far ahead.

grabbing Travis Daniels was definately the best move. Im glad Saban didnt go the Finheaven route and draft Adrian McPhearson with that pick.

SkapePhin said:
grabbing Travis Daniels was definately the best move. Im glad Saban didnt go the Finheaven route and draft Adrian McPhearson with that pick.

Yeah it looks more and more the right move now

Saban had no choice

In round 4 Saban really had to go cornerback. No position had had more picks than CB in the first 3 rounds. I think it was about 20% of all picks were CBs. If you wanted one you had to get him at the top of the 4th. Daniels and I think Perkins were the only remaining ones with some reasonable experience.

I remember when we first drafted him, a lot of you were angry because we drafted a corner, which was certainly not a position of need at the time. You also called this a "Homer Pick", with Saban grabbing a guy he knew, even though there were better players out there.

To be honest I don't remember many, if any, people reacting the way you describe. There were a bunch of people who wanted someone else other than Daniels, to be sure (big fans of Orton in the room, big fans of the druggie Hawthorne), and there were even some people who questioned whether Daniels was a true value at the top of the fourth round, but I don't remember anyone being like omg we have enough corners etc etc.

I know I for one was saying we might even consider drafting a CB as high as round 1. If Corey Webster were there at our 2nd round pick, he would have been Surtain's replacement. And, now that Poole went down with injury, we're looking at Ty Law and Terrell Buckley (no coincidence). So, it is safe to say that after trading Surtain, there was a hole on our roster at CB. We filled it with Daniels. Now, Poole is gone, and so another hole has opened up. We will probably fill that with either a June 1st casualty or either Law or T-Buck.

CK... Do you think that Miami is really considering TBuck? As I remember it he called the Dolphins the weekend Poole got injured, but the Dolphins never got back to him.

the only reason that people, not including myself, were disappointed we drafted Daniels was because they wanted Elton Brown.

It's like guys who would have preferred Hawthorne to Alabi in the 5th.

Dolfan1000 said:
You're missing the point. I am not saying that it was a good/bad pick, and I am not saying that anyone was right or wrong. What I am saying, is that I find it humorous that we were all nice and comfy with our CB depth, that we were somewhat confused when we drafted one early on day two, and now it looks like it was a great move, purely from a depth standpoint. I am not saying Daniels is great or anything, but Im saying that Nick had the vision and saw that our depth at corner was one injury away from being suspect, where many of us didnt look quite that far ahead.

Who was all nice and comfy? I certainly wasn't. I thought Saban was going to go Cb in round two, and it has been speculated that had Webster been available there, Saban would have pulled the trigger. Look, last year, we had a ton of depth at CB, but things in the NFL can change pretty quick. When we lost Pat (which most of us knew was coming) I was really concerned about CB. Even before Pool went down, I believed it was a position of great concern. I love Sammy but he is getting old, and if he loses another step, he doesn't really have the type of game that can allow him to continue t be effective. That is why I am so high on Law if we can work something out that isn't going to cost us big time. His injury is a major concern, and his age is a factor, but we are going to need quality cbs.

Back
Top Bottom